Project Canadain Legend Build 2009 Kb2 "Work in Progress"

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 12:19 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Project Canadain Legend Build 2009 Kb2 "Work in Progress"

Hi all ,new here, Ive been looking for a KB2 for a while now and I came across a salvage titled car at action that from what I could see online had only lower rad mount damage, so I decided not pass up on this kb2 with just over 100000 km on it, so I had friend pick it up for me site unseen for $4880 +taxes fees $6500 .Well a few days later the car showed up ,well the hard work begins to try figure out what the car has and needs to get running on the road

Attached Thumbnails Project Canadain Legend Build 2009 Kb2 "Work in Progress"-20170509_192854.jpg   Project Canadain Legend Build 2009 Kb2 "Work in Progress"-20170509_192906.jpg   Project Canadain Legend Build 2009 Kb2 "Work in Progress"-20170509_192946.jpg   Project Canadain Legend Build 2009 Kb2 "Work in Progress"-20170509_193007.jpg   Project Canadain Legend Build 2009 Kb2 "Work in Progress"-20170509_193012.jpg  

Project Canadain Legend Build 2009 Kb2 "Work in Progress"-20170509_193025.jpg   Project Canadain Legend Build 2009 Kb2 "Work in Progress"-20170509_193038.jpg   Project Canadain Legend Build 2009 Kb2 "Work in Progress"-20170509_193044.jpg  
Old 06-04-2017, 12:35 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Welcome, congrats, and good luck!
Old 06-04-2017, 02:14 AM
10th Gear

Well after going over the car there was a little more work on her that I was not expecting but im always up for a challenge, well after inspecting the car and dismantling the damaged front end as well as inspecting the parts that came with the car I had a better idea what was need to repair her. But what I didn't realize the cost factor of new oem parts and and the lack of good used parts.
so here is the parts that will need to be replaced bumper cover and backing foam piece lower grills but I can salvage the Chrome bars and backing vents and bits,fogs ,headlight washer nozzles and plumbing .The Acura grill was missing witch really sucks because all the little chrome pieces and bits can put the grill cost alone for over $1400 Can. Radiator, Ac condenser, lower rad support ,Power Steering Cooler ,Transmission cooler repairable. aluminum sub frame cracked at welds in three spots left side witch was not on the the insurance report. thank god I could repair this $1700us new used $650us. sub frame bolts were bent and need to be replaced. lower engine cover missing and spoiler, wow. Well I started to to try to Find parts, the first hurdle was the lower rad support bar was 40 day back order from japan so I found a kb1 complete front rad support that came with rad with fans, ac condenser,steering cooler and old style transmission cooler for from a jdm suppler here in Toronto for 300 bucks hopping it would fit. and yes it did. so carefully cut and removed the spot welds from damaged front end and removed lower rad support from the kb1 and got it ready to be welded in. with the rad and condenser removed and the lower rad mount removed this gave me lots of room to weld up the lower sub frame with out dropping it and that would have been a pain also had to remove the right side steering knuckle and lower control arm. I had an aluminum mobile welder inspect the sub frame before we proceeded to weld it back up and he insured me that the new weld would be stronger then the originals so I proceeded. I use several come along with lots of measurements and and got every thing pulled back into spec and welded it up. After the sub frame was welded I continued to work on the rad support perfect fit only difference is the new support has like 3 threaded screw holes that was not being used any way .and the rad and ac condenser were a perfect fit .
Drivers side front crack
Passenger side weld split side view
Passenger side weld split top view
Repair welds
Some repair more welds

Rad support cut out and prepped for new support

new kb1 support welded in

Rad and ac condenser reinstalled and pressure test all is ok read for refrigerant
Old 06-04-2017, 02:21 AM
10th Gear

Found a JDM KB2 grill direct fit from ebay had it shipped $320 us from japan and received new bumper and 1 lower grill cumming together
parts 2 days later from Acura
Old 06-04-2017, 02:52 AM
10th Gear

Cars On the is on the the road all of the hard stuff is done, alignment was done and is perfect, frame was inspected an passed so the car was reclassified as rebuild here not a salvaged ,here are some updated picks of the car. I ordered the proper radar penetrating Honda emblem for the front grill so the radar now works again ,I had to modified the the bracket that holds the radar to raise it so it fits directly behind the emblem. while I shopping from japan I ordered rear Honda and legend badging pics will come of those later . also found a set of fogs in the states but they will not ship to Canada so have to drive to Leweston NY to pick them up some time next week. on the road rad runs and drives like a champ

Picked up a set used 18" kb1 JDM Mugen rims with sensors and 90% tred on BFG summer performance tires today from the same strore that sold me the rad support, some flaking of the chrome on the inside lip of two of the rims not to noticeable but no road rash $400 i will have them powder coated later pick of those will come soom
they look like this
Old 06-04-2017, 07:19 AM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Lotta hard work and looks like it is paying off! Nice!
Old 06-04-2017, 08:45 AM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Lots of hard work man, nice to see one come back on the road! That subframe damage though... I've always been curious as to how stuff like that gets fixed, especially with aluminum.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:51 AM
10th Gear

I was really worried about the sub frame it could have been a deal breaker for this car. I could have picked up a kb1 sub frame for around $200 but did not want to take a chance on different part numbers. after getting the front kb1 rad support frame im thinking it might have fitted without issues but the work involved to drop the old sub and extra shop time on my friend hoist didn't make cence, when Honda
made them they were mounted in a jig and and each section what fitted and welded, I had recreate this on a car lift buy using 5 tall jacks several cum a longs and ratchet straps and a large 4 in 6 foot I beam to pull down the split section down and together, I was able to get that large split butted together like it was cracked not split .then the new front sub bolts were reinstalled and frame was locked for welding. each weld has 3 welds 1 cap welt 2 reinforcement welds, i have done lots of welding on steal but have no idea about aluminum so I thought it would be best to get an expert he also he sprayed all the existing weld with a special solution the shows hidden cracks if any were over looked. total cost of mobile welder was $400 well worth it. tell you the truth I wasn't totally convinced this would work until the alignment machine showed spot on alignment. and all the front geometry for the front rad support was dead on.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
Nice work, the hardest thing about the KB1/KB2 is most component is made in Aluminum alloy. I do enjoy your hard work OP
Old 06-05-2017, 05:46 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by TrasH
I was really worried about the sub frame it could have been a deal breaker for this car. I could have picked up a kb1 sub frame for around $200 but did not want to take a chance on different part numbers. after getting the front kb1 rad support frame im thinking it might have fitted without issues but the work involved to drop the old sub and extra shop time on my friend hoist didn't make cence, when Honda
made them they were mounted in a jig and and each section what fitted and welded, I had recreate this on a car lift buy using 5 tall jacks several cum a longs and ratchet straps and a large 4 in 6 foot I beam to pull down the split section down and together, I was able to get that large split butted together like it was cracked not split .then the new front sub bolts were reinstalled and frame was locked for welding. each weld has 3 welds 1 cap welt 2 reinforcement welds, i have done lots of welding on steal but have no idea about aluminum so I thought it would be best to get an expert he also he sprayed all the existing weld with a special solution the shows hidden cracks if any were over looked. total cost of mobile welder was $400 well worth it. tell you the truth I wasn't totally convinced this would work until the alignment machine showed spot on alignment. and all the front geometry for the front rad support was dead on.
Originally Posted by truonghthe
Nice work, the hardest thing about the KB1/KB2 is most component is made in Aluminum alloy. I do enjoy your hard work OP
Definitely have to agree, nice work! That was a risky move to take but looks like it paid off!
Old 06-05-2017, 09:02 PM
10th Gear

Thanks for the kind words guys. The cars running great but now I have a tpms failure message just after I let the wife drIve it. Well something else to fix. Any how I have some updated picks of the mugen jdm rims, Im not so sure how I feel about the black chrome finish. They will be repowder coated in the fall when the snows go on. just not sure if im going back to chrome or silver , gun metal or the new dark grey honda color? let me me no what you think , ill post some mugen color samples. I was also talking to my painter today going over the car im about 3-4 weeks out for my respray, I might need some more Help with the silver around the front jdm grill. not sure to keep it silver and repair it I have a small scratch in it, I have Ive seen some one color match it to the car paint or should I order the 2012 chrome Piece off the the Acura grill? Ill post some picks. Any help would be great. Jdm Kb1 Mugen Rims

Some color choices Black Mirror
MirrorFace
Silver
Bblack Chrome
I kind of Like Dark Carbon Grey
Jdm front Grill Silver border options plz, This one is a flat silver looks like vinal
2012 Chrome Grill Ring ( really kind of like but might be to much chrome )
This is realy nice as well Color Matched
Old 06-05-2017, 09:32 PM
10th Gear

Maybe Carbon fiber Wrap the grill ring aswell
Old 06-06-2017, 10:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
I would get the 2011-2012 grill.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:54 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by truonghthe
I would get the 2011-2012 grill.
I like this as well. has anyone ever taken a 11-12 acura rl grill apart wondering if any one know how the the grill border trim is held on the jdm uses multiple philips screws down each side the us market seems to use the same screws but would be nice to confirm. JDM
USD
Old 08-06-2017, 08:51 PM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
nice rebuild on this car
Old 10-04-2019, 01:15 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ever figure out the TPMS issue? I could help you out, the honda legend in japan never got tire pressure monitoring feature, its a north American manatory feature. Thought ill give back to this forum since its been helping me in the past
Old 10-04-2019, 01:17 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
those rims don't have sensors you gotta mock sensors inside or try tricking the system