2006 Acura RL

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 12:50 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Acura RL

I just got an '06 RL with 19k for under 39 grand. This is my first car ever, I'm just about to turn 24. I'LL be taking more pictures when I have the time too. These two quick picks was taken with my iPhone. I'm thinking about having the car repainted silver metallic. I need to get an ipod kit for it too. Any advice anyone can give me, I'm all ears. the interior is parch(something, lol) what would yall recommend to clean the interior. The seats and dash.

[br]

Old 09-14-2007, 01:01 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Congrats.

FWIW, doing a complete color change the right way will be VERY expensive.

I did it once. You'll have to remove engine components in order to paint the engine bay, the door jambs, etc.

We're talking thousands of dollars.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:33 AM
8th Gear

Well I guess I'll just be staying with the gold for now.

A buddy and I was talking about gas types and he told me that, regular, plus and premium is all the same. I think the manual said to use premium only. He got me all confused as really have blonde moments when talking about the up keep of an auto. I just know how to drive the thing, anything mechanicall wise I know nothing about.

Well since I'm not going to be changing the color should I get the underbody spoiler kit? and if anyone can suggest me nice rims to go with this body color.

Here are two quick shots I took today, I need to wash the car, bunch of dead bugs on the front.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Welcome to AZ and congrats on your car!

To address your questions:

1. Please don't repaint your car unless you want to spend a lot of money, as GoHawks has indicated.
2. Search here in the Photo Gallery for pictures of cars with the underbody spoiler kit. I personally think it looks stuck-on, but many other members here have put it on and think it looks great! You can get some great deals on it at eBay.
3. From the first picture, it looks like you have the CMBS/PAX model. That model has adaptive cruise control--automatically changes speed depending on distance from car in front of you, and notifies you/brakes if you are too close to another car, and has Michelin run-flat tires. I can tell because that model has a radar emitter on the front--the Acura logo is in a flat piece of plastic instead of being simply raised metal. You therefore can't change the wheels or lower the suspension without seriously altering the characteristics of CMBS/PAX.

Don't worry, enjoy this car, you will love it more as you drive it more.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:23 AM
8th Gear

Hey neuronbob, you have the exact color i wanted, lol. I'm not going to change the color, I'll invest my money into other small mods if possible.

So as I'm typing this message out right now I'm see thing ronjonwheels.com picture to my upper right and those wheels look much better than the one I got. Yes my car has the CMBS/PAX thing. Can those rims go on mine, I don't need crazy huge rims but something nice. I don't want to lower the car but these wheels have to eventually go.

Here comes another "blonde" questions, aren't pax tiers expensive to replace if they do pop? And the tire pressure monitor thing, what's the best numbers I should have them at? Yesterday while driving I saw all the wheels at 33

About the under body kit, is it possible to get the front Mugen (think I'm mis-spelling it) and get the regular sides and rear.

Any mods I do to the car I'll be sure to take a before and after pic and show you folks.

I'm still patiently waiting to get the title, the lexus dealership in ATL said they would mail it to a dmv office of since I live in NC.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Atari4u
Hey neuronbob, you have the exact color i wanted, lol. I'm not going to change the color, I'll invest my money into other small mods if possible.

So as I'm typing this message out right now I'm see thing ronjonwheels.com picture to my upper right and those wheels look much better than the one I got. Yes my car has the CMBS/PAX thing. Can those rims go on mine, I don't need crazy huge rims but something nice. I don't want to lower the car but these wheels have to eventually go.

Here comes another "blonde" questions, aren't pax tiers expensive to replace if they do pop? And the tire pressure monitor thing, what's the best numbers I should have them at? Yesterday while driving I saw all the wheels at 33

About the under body kit, is it possible to get the front Mugen (think I'm mis-spelling it) and get the regular sides and rear.

Any mods I do to the car I'll be sure to take a before and after pic and show you folks.

I'm still patiently waiting to get the title, the lexus dealership in ATL said they would mail it to a dmv office of since I live in NC.
The PAX tires are more expensive to replace. Some of it is a function of the lack of tire and Acura dealers with the special equipment needed to replace the PAX tires. You can obviously replace the wheels and choose non-PAX tires, but then you should get a spare tire and the trunk insert for the spare tire since the ACC/CMBS/PAX RL does not have either.

As for tire pressure, the manual and the driver's side door jamb sticker recommend a cold tire pressure of 32 front and 30 rear. I believe the higher front tire pressure is recommended because of all the weight up front with the engine and the SH-AWD components.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:57 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
PAX tires are mounted on PAX specific metric wheels, 235 mm x 460 mm A ("A" for asymmetrical, which is why they won't fit on standard wheels, like 18" x 8.5"). If you don't like the wheels, the tires go to. Economically speaking, it makes sense to wait until the PAX are worn out, then price out the replacement if you are happy with their advantages, or change out all four wheel/tires to standard sized 18 or 19 inch.

RonJon wheels will fit on the ACC/CMBS/PAX model, without affecting much of anything, assuming you keep to the stock tire sizes, 245/45-18 (similar to the PAX) or 245/40-19 which will maintain the same diameter if you go with RonJon 19's.

You, of course, need to ensure that your new RonJons have TPMS sensors installed before you put on the new tires, and

You need to consider that you will not have a spare.

That can be remedied with $500-600 worth of parts from Tim at HondaAcuraWorld.com

* Trunk Spacer Assembly (Part number: 84542-SJA-A00)
* Adapter - Spare Tire (74651-S2x-003)
* Bolt - Spare Tire (74652-SDA-003
* Label - Spare Tire Adapter - Not really needed but cheap (74653-SJA-003)
* Nut - Wheel (90304-SJH-A91) - Need 20 of them or 16 and a set of wheel locks
* Disk Aluminum Wheel (this is the spare) - 17x4T (42700-SJA-J51)

PAX Tires need to be inflated to 32 front, 30 rear when cold.

Talk to Touge or Qatar about body kit mods, Mugen or otherwise.

Welcome to AZ, and enjoy that ACC/CMBS system.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:02 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Window tint.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:04 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by neuronbob
You therefore can't change the wheels or lower the suspension without seriously altering the characteristics of CMBS/PAX.
I disagree. You can change the wheels, and not alter the characteristics of ACC/CMBS, you just loose the run flat capability of PAX and probably about 80 lbs of unsprung weight, and get differently tuned rear suspension.

I do agree you cannot change the suspension without altering the behavior of the ACC/CMBS system, because the millimeter wave radar will be oriented differently, pointing downward more (at least that is my theory), and will not likely work as advertised. (Here is an opening for Mikey to comment!)
Old 09-20-2007, 12:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by Chas2
I disagree. You can change the wheels, and not alter the characteristics of ACC/CMBS, you just loose the run flat capability of PAX and probably about 80 lbs of unsprung weight, and get differently tuned rear suspension.

I do agree you cannot change the suspension without altering the behavior of the ACC/CMBS system, because the millimeter wave radar will be oriented differently, pointing downward more (at least that is my theory), and will not likely work as advertised. (Here is an opening for Mikey to comment!)
You're 100% right, Chas. That's really what I meant and I should have been more clear.

I agree with Treblig, too. To abuse an old advertising jingle: Tint does a gold car good.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
You're 100% right, Chas. That's really what I meant and I should have been more clear.

I agree with Treblig, too. To abuse an old advertising jingle: Tint does a gold car good.
I never noticed this before - from the 2006 RL Owner's Manual, page 389:

"Do not replace the PAX system tires and wheels with conventional tires and wheels. Doing so would disable the PAX system and the TPMS, and may void your new vehicle warranty."

Seriously?
Old 09-20-2007, 02:11 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Sorry, where are my manners! I forgot to say Congrats and Welcome!
Old 09-20-2007, 03:29 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dwboston
I never noticed this before - from the 2006 RL Owner's Manual, page 389:

"Do not replace the PAX system tires and wheels with conventional tires and wheels. Doing so would disable the PAX system and the TPMS, and may void your new vehicle warranty."

Seriously?
While it would certainly disable the PAX system, and the TPMS, unless you put TPMS sensors in the conventional road wheels, I think the operative word is "may".

The other funny item in the manual, on the same page, is:

There are no snow tires compatible
with the PAX system, and not all tire
chains are suitable for use on the
PAX system tires. To prevent tire
chain damage to your PAX system
tire or wheel, ensure that no part of
the chain contacts the PAX system.

If you mount snow chains on you
tires, use the chains recommended
by Acura (see page 387).

How do you put chains on the PAX system and not have the chains touch the PAX system??!!

Actually, now there is a purpose made PAX X-Ice snow tire in the same size as the all seasons, 245-680R460A, available for the car.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:43 PM
Safety Car

[QUOTE=Atari4u]I need to get an ipod kit for it too. Any advice anyone can give me, I'm all ears.

See the threads for info on iPod adapters.

Everyone pretty much says to stay away from the Acura MusicLink, which seems to work for some and not for others. The USASpec or the Neo Car Audio seem to be the same unit, and the one that more have success with.

The second thread is an RDX thread, but it has a lot of interesting info in it about the Neo which appears to be the same as a USASpec.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3982

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686
Old 09-20-2007, 10:37 PM
3rd Gear

试发中文

Originally Posted by Atari4u
I just got an '06 RL with 19k for under 39 grand. This is my first car ever, I'm just about to turn 24. I'LL be taking more pictures when I have the time too. These two quick picks was taken with my iPhone. I'm thinking about having the car repainted silver metallic. I need to get an ipod kit for it too. Any advice anyone can give me, I'm all ears. the interior is parch(something, lol) what would yall recommend to clean the interior. The seats and dash.

[br]

不知道能不能用中文???
Old 09-21-2007, 07:13 AM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by samonwang
不知道能不能用中文???
Huh?
Old 09-21-2007, 09:13 AM
Instructor

Desert Mist (*cough* gold *cough*)

I've got the same Desert Mist (*cough* gold *cough*) color. At first it was just the color that good deal happened to be in, but it's grown on me. I've not yet tinted or put on the rear spoiler, both of which help a lot, but I did put on the Ron Jon Legend 18s, which definitely make it look a little sportier. Click for more and larger views.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:01 AM
Safety Car

Hey, at least you don't have to worry about dirt like you do on a darker color. My good deal was black, and I love the color after I wash it, and for 5 minutes afterwards...then I feel like I have to wash it again!
Old 09-21-2007, 12:14 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ry4an
I've got the same Desert Mist (*cough* gold *cough*) color. At first it was just the color that good deal happened to be in, but it's grown on me. I've not yet tinted or put on the rear spoiler, both of which help a lot, but I did put on the Ron Jon Legend 18s, which definitely make it look a little sportier. Click for more and larger views.

Yea, the Desert Mist is an unpopular color. Not sure why, I think it's classy looking. I would have picked it before several other of their colors.

BTW, yours looks very sharp with those wheels. Good choice
Old 09-21-2007, 03:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice, congats on your new car. Look through my mod thread for ideas and feel free to shoot me a email if you have any questions about rl aftermarket wheels or a bodykit.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:42 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sure you can.

Originally Posted by samonwang
不知道能不能用中文???
Old 10-27-2007, 09:52 PM
8th Gear

I had the these lights installed. Got them from Touge, Thanks.

Sorry for the grainy pics, I don't have a tripod to shoot good night shots.

Old 10-28-2007, 01:05 PM
3rd Gear

your car looks good
Old 10-30-2007, 08:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
IMHO repainting the car wouldn't be worth it (unless you paid a ridiculously low amount for the car). I would suggest that next time, get the car you really want. You certainly would have had plenty of options @ 39k. Not sure why you settled.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
If you really want to get the car repained, I suggest you have it done in the exact same color. That way you won't notice if they miss a spot or two!

LL