XM Subscription Clock restarts with New Radio Code?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 05:57 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XM Subscription Clock restarts with New Radio Code?

I recently had the TSBs done on my RL, which resulted in the replacement of the XM radio module, which has a different radio code from the one that came with the car. I then got two letters from XM within a few days of each other-one welcoming me as a new XM user (with the new code referenced), and another advising me that my free subscription was about to expire at the end of this month (with the old code referenced). Since they both have the same VIN, I am wondering if I can simply do nothing and enjoy another year of XM for free, or if they will figure out that these two modules were for the same car (the VIN is kind of a big hint!). Has anyone else had this experience, and if so, what did you do (or not do) relative to retaining your XM subscription?
Old 05-08-2006, 06:29 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by acurafox
...I am wondering if I can simply do nothing and enjoy another year of XM for free, or if they will figure out that these two modules were for the same car (the VIN is kind of a big hint!). Has anyone else had this experience, and if so, what did you do (or not do) relative to retaining your XM subscription?
I had the TSB's done several months ago. Both outfits figured it out on my RL. My one year anniversary is coming up next month, and in fact, this past week after receiving letters from OnStar and XM, I renewed both my XM with NavTraffic coverage and OnStar...also purchased a few extra minutes with OnStar. XM will not bill until the actual anniversary date, but I think OnStar has already. In fact, if you check XM account online, you will see your old radio number listed along with the new one.

I went online attempting to figure out how to stop receiving some specific stations, but have been unsuccessful. Someone said it could be done, but I haven't found the menu.

BTW, I didn't take the route suggested in the sticky...just forked over the requested subscription when I called.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:51 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bluemule
My one year anniversary is coming up next month, and in fact, this past week after receiving letters from OnStar and XM, I renewed both my XM with NavTraffic coverage and OnStar...also purchased a few extra minutes with OnStar. XM will not bill until the actual anniversary date, but I think OnStar has already
bluemule, if you wouldn't mind me asking, how much did it cost you to renew each one?

Do you feel you are getting proper value for money spent? Just wondering. Contemplating the same decisions myself.

What about others on here that have faced these renewal decisions...

OnStar?
NavTraffic?
Haven't done the OnStar Personal Calling minutes thing yet ... worth the bother?
Old 05-10-2006, 07:26 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by RLtechie
bluemule, if you wouldn't mind me asking, how much did it cost you to renew each one?

Do you feel you are getting proper value for money spent? Just wondering. Contemplating the same decisions myself.

What about others on here that have faced these renewal decisions...

OnStar?
NavTraffic?
Haven't done the OnStar Personal Calling minutes thing yet ... worth the bother?
The written notice received from XM listed one year of XM Satellite with NavTraffic at $203.65...this is the package I opted for. That charge won't be made until the one year anniversary date when the free subscription expires.

Other options:

3 mo xm radio = 41.57
3 mo xm radio with Nav = 54.38
1 yr xm radio = 152.42
1 yr xm radio with NavTraffic = 203.65
2 yr XM radio = 290.99

For the OnStar, the notice they sent me set forth my billing arrangement which was to begin monthly billing at the expiration of the free subscription. I called and paid for the whole year, and my credit card has been charged $198.96 for that, and an additional charge of $15.89 for another 30 minutes calling time. By signing up for the additional calling time, they rolled over my existing minutes.

As for value for all this...well...ummmm...blush!?

I have yet to drive in an area with NavTraffic...but I wanted to keep the service operational since it came with the RL and in case I hit the road again with my job...which is always likely.

As for XM, I don't ever intend to be without satellite radio again...commercial radio is controlled by too few entities, apparently with little incentive or imagination for competent, entertaining and intellectual programming...for instance I'm sick of "cowboy hat" nasal whining that passes for music. On all the commercial stations, what you get in Texas is what you will get in West Virginia...same old, same old, ad nauseum...there's no diversity and many very fine artists never get air time...not to say that XM couldn't improve their selections...IMHO Bach, Beethoven and Mozart are getting *way* too much air time...and there's a lot on XM that I never listen to. The only FM I regularly listen to is Mississippi Public Broadcasting...Mississippi has one of the finest, if not the finest, public broadcasting service in the country...they're having budgeting problems and Public Broadcasting generally has been under attack by political goons, but they seem to be surviving OK...political hacks come and go.

OnStar is a pleasure to use...i don't use it very often, but counting OnStar, I have 4 cell phones, and the only coverage I can get at my home location and in many areas I work from, is with OnStar. I consider OnStar to be insurance and plan to use it more in the upcoming year.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:50 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by bluemule
and there's a lot on XM that I never listen to.
I'm still looking for a way to stop certain XM channels from showing up in my radio, say one or two here and a few over there...I don't want to change the overall service...just not see certain programming...the guy I renewed with said I could do this online, but I didn't see a way to do this. Has anyone done this?
Old 06-06-2006, 11:45 PM
Racer

My 1 year anniversary was almost 2 weeks ago, and the XM is still going strong with no renewal. Mum's the word...
Old 06-10-2006, 11:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I had my XM unit replaced last September and that resulted in my XM contract being "re-started", expiring on the 26 SEPT 06.