XM Delay Issue Update

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 04:54 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
XM Delay Issue Update

I received a call from an Acura upper level (or so he says) concering the XM delay issue; I had sent a pretty serious, certified, but non-threatening letter to Acura re the lack of resolution of the problem (as well as the pre-set and preview channel issues and an issue I have with XM not coming on at all at times).

The CSR told me that a technical bulletin will be released by the end of the month with a fix for the problem. He said they are going to be replacing the XM radio receiver. He said information on the fix should be out in a couple of weeks and the TSB would be out before the end of the month. He said it would take to the end of the month to get the fixes started as the replacement equipment needs to be sent out to the dealerships.

I told the CSR I, and others who have posted on this site, had received assurances that a fix had been found and was pending and that, of course, nothing occurred. He said he understood that but he said this time was different, and he was 99% sure that this was the real deal. I guess we shall see. Maybe it will make it in time for the MLB playoffs!

I am remaining cautiously optomistic and if I hear anything further, I will post it (if anyone cares).
Old 09-06-2005, 05:06 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Care!

This sounds like a real solution to our problem. Thanks for being so dilligent. Please keep us informed if there are any more communications.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2005BlackRL
This sounds like a real solution to our problem. Thanks for being so dilligent. Please keep us informed if there are any more communications.
Agreed. Thanks for the update. I will be looking for more info in the future.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:05 PM
ASP
Earl Shod

Right on . . .

On 9/1 Acura of Lynnwood (WA) told me that techline knows about the issue and explained that a fix should coome out soon as a TSB.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:58 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ASP
On 9/1 Acura of Lynnwood (WA) told me that techline knows about the issue and explained that a fix should coome out soon as a TSB.
I love Acura of Lynnwood - they seem to know what they are doing.

ASP let me know when (and if) they have the fix - I'll go visit them.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:05 PM
Intermediate

Thanks! Please do keep us posted, as many of us do care!
Old 09-06-2005, 09:43 PM
Instructor

It's about time! I don't have the XM delay issue and wouldn't allow them to replace my unit since it functions properly (i.e. no delays). But it seems way overdue for the people who have had this problem. Hopefully, the Acura representative was giving you the correct info.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:49 PM
Instructor

I had to bring my RL in for the second time due to the XM traffic dissapearing and the XM resetting itself to channel 1 daily. I was supposed to pick up my car today, same day turn around, but my service rep asked me to hold off til tomorrow due to a software update by XM. i think this is the solutuion to the existing problem we are all having. Also they are replacing the receiver as well.
I will keep everyone updated on the results tomorrow.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:57 PM
Instructor

Thanks ck37, please let us know what happens!!
Old 09-08-2005, 04:32 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
My XM has been acting pretty crazy lately as well.

More than usual, it likes to reset itself back to the
preview channel.

Question....

When this fix is finally available, is it as simple as
going to my local Honda dealer and telling them that
an official "fix" has been announced? I take it they
will replace the tuner free of charge?
Old 09-08-2005, 06:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NJRonbo
When this fix is finally available, is it as simple as
going to my local Honda dealer and telling them that
an official "fix" has been announced? I take it they
will replace the tuner free of charge?
Yep. Just schedule an appointment and they will complete the TSB repair free under warranty.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:57 AM
Instructor

ck37 - What Ever Happened?

Did they fix the XM delay issue? Please update us as curious minds want to know! Thanks for any update.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:03 AM
Instructor

sorry about the delay in getting back to you guys. Well here is what happens now, the channels tags do change but only like 5 seconds into the next song. Its a bit quicker in that regard, but I don't know if it should be quicker. Also my traffic now works better in terms of not losing it. That was a big issue for me. Actually my main issue. I wo uld be curious though as to what happens to others on this board. XM is aware of the swapping out of the control units since i dropped signal on my way to Vegas on Friday. They initially thought it was my unit but as it turns out, it was the location I was in.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:34 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the update. ck37. They did not fix your delay issue. The change in song information should be instantaneous. Also, when you first start the car, do your pre-set labels show the name of the station or just the number, this is do they show 027 Cinemagic or do they just the number? This will change when you switch from XM 1 to XM 2 or vice versa.

If I hear anything on the allegedly forthcoming fix, I will post it. Thanks.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:32 PM
Instructor

Just to keep everyone updated, just now received a call from Acura Client Services rep Doug who told me the TSB on the XM Update fix has been released to the dealerships. He says a new part/possibly a receiver, will be part of the fix and those should be making its way to the dealerships by the end of the month.

If anyone has any good contacts with the service department at their Acura dealerships, maybe you could verify the release of the TSB. I would call mine, but the service department does so little about the car they can't spell the name of the car.

If I hear any more, I will update again.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:32 PM
Racer

Gator, did Doug happen to supply you with the number of the TSB? I haven't yet had much dealings with Acura but with other carmakers I've found that sometimes telling the service dept. that there's a TSB about an issue doesn't help all that much unless you have the TSB to directly refer to. Hoping that it will be different with Acura, cause the XM update delay drives me nuts. Taking mine in for its first service this Friday, probably too soon for the TSB to be out in the field but I'll ask anyway.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:53 PM
Instructor

Karl, no he didn't and I didn't think to ask. Sorry. Maybe I will try calling him during the week.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:07 PM
10th Gear

Xm Delay Tsb

I had this TSB performed sometime back on my 2005 RL. I didn't have the problem with the channel number only until AFTER the update. Some of the channels will show the name of station as well as the channel number and some will show channel number only. I can change from XM1 to XM2 or vice versa and it will sometimes/usually correct the problem. I have had the car to the dealer at least 5+times to fix this problem and they actually have it right now still scratching their heads. I know it is a minor detail to some, but when you pay $50,000 for a car you expect things to work as they are suppose to. Also, I almost never listen to anything besides XM so was wondering when it is in FM mode should it also display names of stations instead of just channels?

Anybody else had this problem after the update and if so, do you know what the solution is so that I might help these guys . I am tired of explaining over and over to them what it is doing and they just look at me like I am crazy.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My Acura has never shown traffic, but I live in Boston. Acura of Boston acts like they haven't a clue what's causing it.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:07 AM
10th Gear

XM Delay Issue

Acura kept my car for 7 days to get my XM radio replaced. Well, the new radio does exactly the same as the old one. I GIVE UP!! I have decided that I will just have to live with it like it is because they just don't get the picture. These cars came out in 2005 and they still don't know enough about all the gadgets it has to even understand what I am telling them. The guy just looks at me like I am crazy and doesn't even know how to operate the navi or the XM radio so he doesn't have a clue what is right or wrong with the system. I suppose I could have a lot worse problems with the car and other than this issue, I love my RL.

As for traffic, I live where it is not available so can't help you there. Your service techs must be clueless too.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:37 AM
Instructor

Wow, I just received an e-mail notification that this thread was still alive. I am sorry you are having problems. I think your dealership is messed up as this situation was resolved a while ago, at least for my 05. Any other dealers in your area to try? Might be worth a shot.

Also, are you getting an RL loaner while it's in the shop? If so, does the loaner radio refresh properly? If it does, make them switch the loaner radio with yours.

When you say they replaced the radio, did they replace the head unit, i.e. the display or did they replace the XM controller unit, which is different than the display? It never took my dealership 7 days to replace the XM module. Usually an overnight job.

If they can show you that they replaced the module/controller and it still doesn't work, try a new dealer. Also send a certified letter to Acura, with a copy to the dealership outlining in detail what you have been through. I will see if I still have the letter I sent them and post it or PM it to you. If you haven't heard from me in a few days, post a new mail message to remind me.

But in the meantime check out another RL at the dealer to see if their XM works properly. That way you can show the clueless techs how it's supposed to work and maybe have them switch the controller/module.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:42 AM
Unemployed or retired?

Originally Posted by txaggiemom
Acura kept my car for 7 days to get my XM radio replaced. Well, the new radio does exactly the same as the old one. I GIVE UP!! I have decided that I will just have to live with it like it is because they just don't get the picture. These cars came out in 2005 and they still don't know enough about all the gadgets it has to even understand what I am telling them. The guy just looks at me like I am crazy and doesn't even know how to operate the navi or the XM radio so he doesn't have a clue what is right or wrong with the system. I suppose I could have a lot worse problems with the car and other than this issue, I love my RL.

As for traffic, I live where it is not available so can't help you there. Your service techs must be clueless too.

My guess is they never replaced the control unit. In fact I can't imagine there is any way they did as I haven't heard or seen on this board anybody who continued to have the problem. Any chance they are just billing Acura and not really doing the work? I would definitely call Acura. There is no reason to put up with this.
This is all conjecture and you may have the most honest dealer in the world but they sure haven't fixed the problem have they?

One other thought, call XM Radio and see if your account has one serial number replaced by another. Should be 2 serial numbers. One for the old control unit and one for the replacement.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:20 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rich in NC
In fact I can't imagine there is any way they did as I haven't heard or seen on this board anybody who continued to have the problem.
I had the TSB done in late 2005. With the new unit, initially, there was no noticeable delay when music selections changed. Now, my XM delays a few seconds. Also, when hitting the XM button, the sound will go out briefly, then come back on for the old XM bank, and then go to the new XM bank.

I don't know if the change is specific to my auto or to XM.