USB Audio connector for 05-08 RL

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 06:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
USB Audio connector for 05-08 RL

I've came across this thing.... have anyone try it before?

http://gromaudio.com/store/usb_adapt...usb2-hon1.html

it's an USB audio connector of the non-09 RL.... just wondering..... and it stated that all the function can be control via stock HU and steering control.....
Old 06-24-2009, 01:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Well fellas, I just pulled the trigger and got me a unit.... I'll keep everyone posted on this product.... I'm hoping to make use of all my USB flash drive and USB memery card/SD card/memory stick reader.... days of unlimited music storage is coming
Old 06-24-2009, 08:24 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
very interesting....
please keep us posted
Old 06-24-2009, 08:34 AM
Instructor

after reading the install guide....i dont know about this product.
It mounts each folder as if it was a CD. so that would allow you 6 folders (CDs) and only 99 songs for each according to my logic and the install manual. That is only 594 songs. I would much rather hook up my mp3/ipod which can hold alot more.
But since you already bought it let me know if I am correct or not.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jfarabaugh
after reading the install guide....i dont know about this product.
It mounts each folder as if it was a CD. so that would allow you 6 folders (CDs) and only 99 songs for each according to my logic and the install manual. That is only 594 songs. I would much rather hook up my mp3/ipod which can hold alot more.
But since you already bought it let me know if I am correct or not.
i think they said:

- Up to 99 disks are supported on stereos with DISK UP and DISK DOWN buttons.

not 99 songs per disc. and 99 disks is 99 directories, each directory can contain unlimited number of songs. the reason they put them in directories is so all the music can be classified and easier access to songs. only the .wav files have the 99 song limit per disc. (on DVD-A, i know, cuz I used to burn alot of DVD-As for my TL using Discwelder Chrome).... the MP3 files are virtually unlimited.

I just want to make use of my tiny (physicl size) 4GB USB flash drive that can hold all of my songs (~2.5GB) with our RL.... plus this unit have the ipod hook up also with the 3.5mm aux. hook up.

once i get this unit, I'm gonna go buy the 09 OEM center console connectors + back plate (sold at the Acura dealers) so the whole thing will have the capability of the 09 RL HU (and cleaner looking setup)..... all of this is just speculation..... I'll need to put them in and use it before I can tell you more about this
Old 06-27-2009, 10:09 AM
2005 MDX & 2006 RL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too would be interested in this solution. USB drives are getting cheaper all the time and are much cheaper than an iPod. The number of songs will vary by the sample rate: iTunes default is 128 kbps stereo so going up with increase quality but decrease the number of files possibly stored. Let us know how the install goes and the features. Thanks!
Old 06-27-2009, 11:51 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Sounds interesting, please take pics if you can for newbies like me (what you took apart, connections, etc.). Good luck.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Well, I woke up this morning and found this unit arrived in the morning..... here are some pix of the package..... this unit is pretty compact and it came with 1X 1GB USB flash drive and Y-cable for the HU..... appearently this unit also have the ipod plug, aux plug, and of course USB plug..... i'm gonna go order some 09 RL center console plugs tomorrow..... here are the pix, enjoy (more to come!!!)

Last edited by psheu; 06-28-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:27 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Good luck! Looking forward to it!

Old 06-29-2009, 11:20 PM
rtr
RL owner

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
looks very cool!!
Old 06-30-2009, 12:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Any update yet Phil? Any problems removing the center console to get to the hardwires?
Old 06-30-2009, 12:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rhlieu
Any update yet Phil? Any problems removing the center console to get to the hardwires?
well, Ryan, I'm gonna take the RL to the local acura dealer and have them remove the trims for me... I'm a big chicken when it comes to removing trims... the dealership do that all day long so tomorrow morning first thing I'm gonna c if they can remove the trim for me... than the rest I can handle.... there are only 4 screws that hold the HU in place... I've also go ahead and ordered the 09 center console connectors (aux, usb, usb holder, power outlet, cap, etc. I prob. can reuse my old power outlet so it should be cheaper) and back plate (the whole thing came out to be ~$50)... they should arrive in few days... I just want to test out the unit to make sure it works... according to the manual, it's a simple plug and go plus I need to go get me a 6' 3.5mm aux audio cable after I get the 09 connectors (need to figure out how that piece is build)
Old 06-30-2009, 12:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Boy if you are going to do all those internal upgrades to 09 hardware, why not just upgrade “external” with the 09 curly maple wood center console/cup holder while your at it (hardest part is to move the power outlet to the driver side, which you will have total access too anyways)? Keep us posted (with pictures if possible) after you get the RL back from the dealership.

This is just too much work in my opinion, just make six mp3 discs (1 Cantonese) and call it a day! Problem solved!
Old 06-30-2009, 08:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by psheu
well, Ryan, I'm gonna take the RL to the local acura dealer and have them remove the trims for me... I'm a big chicken when it comes to removing trims... the dealership do that all day long so tomorrow morning first thing I'm gonna c if they can remove the trim for me... than the rest I can handle.... there are only 4 screws that hold the HU in place... I've also go ahead and ordered the 09 center console connectors (aux, usb, usb holder, power outlet, cap, etc. I prob. can reuse my old power outlet so it should be cheaper) and back plate (the whole thing came out to be ~$50)... they should arrive in few days... I just want to test out the unit to make sure it works... according to the manual, it's a simple plug and go plus I need to go get me a 6' 3.5mm aux audio cable after I get the 09 connectors (need to figure out how that piece is build)
what piece exactly are you talking about? sounds like a connection interface piece? where is it located and what is the part number?
Old 06-30-2009, 10:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jfarabaugh
what piece exactly are you talking about? sounds like a connection interface piece? where is it located and what is the part number?
the pieces that goes into the center console glove box right next to the power outlet.... the 09 RL have all the AUX and USB connections stored in there.... so instead of having the connectors coming out on the passenger side glove box, I'm gonna make it come out where the 09 RL have them
Old 06-30-2009, 01:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rhlieu
Boy if you are going to do all those internal upgrades to 09 hardware, why not just upgrade “external” with the 09 curly maple wood center console/cup holder while your at it (hardest part is to move the power outlet to the driver side, which you will have total access too anyways)? Keep us posted (with pictures if possible) after you get the RL back from the dealership.

This is just too much work in my opinion, just make six mp3 discs (1 Cantonese) and call it a day! Problem solved!
naaaa... i tend to make a simple job sound harder than it is... i actually prefer the non-wood finish on the center console (they attract too much grease and finger print)

I too burn lots of MP3 CDs using RW disc.... some DVD-A disc.... but just to make my life easier and for future expansion.... usb is the way to go (I got an 130GB USB external laptop HD that's laying around, and bunch of USB flash drives)..... just so I don't have to burn disc anymore and don't want the trouble of install carpc...

anyway, I took another picture of the back of RL HU.... can you guess which plug my Y-cable and USB unit is plugging into (the white one of course)

Old 07-01-2009, 12:49 PM
Burning Brakes

well, after 3 trims, and 6 screws later (very easy) I've got to the back of my HU, plug the Y-cable into the HU and XM plug into one end and the USB unit into another.... the USB unit power on, XM is bearly audiable. so I unplug the USB unit, the XM is back to normal..... swapped the plugs, and the XM is bearly audiable withouth the USB unit plug in.... throughout the time the Y cable is plug in, there is no way to switch to the USB unit.... So, I plug the USB unit directly into the back of HU (this time without the XM or Y-cable)..... the whole thing lag, and have no sound or display of my USB disc and very slow to switch to other input such as FM, Disc, etc..... so I contacted their tech support and waiting to hear back from them

here are some pix of my center console and trim pieces.....

Old 07-01-2009, 03:45 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts

These pictures are making me break out is a cold sweat.

For the love of all that is good....please put something on the leather seats to protect them from a snag or scar from those trim pieces!
Old 07-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TampaRL

These pictures are making me break out is a cold sweat.

For the love of all that is good....please put something on the leather seats to protect them from a snag or scar from those trim pieces!
those are extremely light plastic trims i only turn the big piece around to take picture..... trust me, i can't bear the thought to scratch that fine soft plush baby leather (that reminds me, condition leather before the weekend)..... all of those plastic trims are held down by clips.... with right swift motion, they come off easily starting from tip of the cup holder..... 2 plastic side trims, start from the bottom and work all the way up..... after that, it's just the 6 screws that hold in the "not an ashtray" and the HU..... after removing the screws, tilt the "not an ashtra" foward alittle bit and pull out the HU to access the connectors..... gotta be careful with the screws tho...... I almost drop one and my heart all most jump out..... cuz around that center console area, if u drop that screw, u ain't nvr gonna get it back
Old 07-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Advanced

Hey psheu, looks like there is a recent firmware upgrade. Maybe that will help? Good luck and keep us posted.

http://gromaudio.com/software.html
Old 07-06-2009, 10:03 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for the pics and descriptions Psheu. Do you know if the USB provides enough juice to power your external hard drive? Is it high speed USB or the old (1.1.) kind? I would like to see if I can use the USB connector to power up my phone and/or charge it while I am on bluetooth.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by slainte_0317
Hey psheu, looks like there is a recent firmware upgrade. Maybe that will help? Good luck and keep us posted.

http://gromaudio.com/software.html
Thanx Slainte, I've also contacted them and they sent me an even newer update.... tried it... and it still doesn't work... i think i might be doing something wrong... I'll try to contact them again.... really hope it'll work p.s. I'm getting so good in removing the center console trims:P

Originally Posted by home4sale2
Thanks for the pics and descriptions Psheu. Do you know if the USB provides enough juice to power your external hard drive? Is it high speed USB or the old (1.1.) kind? I would like to see if I can use the USB connector to power up my phone and/or charge it while I am on bluetooth.
according to the manual it is USB 2.0... the power does go through... I tried to connect it to my 130GB portable HD.... and the power did go through to power on the portable hard drive....

Last edited by psheu; 07-06-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
any more news with this?
Old 07-12-2009, 01:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH
any more news with this?
soon.... those guys were gonna figure out what went wrong.... it might be a cross in their wiring to the HU.... they've promissed me that I will have answer this coming week and they will also provide compansation for this delay.... so I guess we'll need to wait a bit longer
Old 07-12-2009, 11:00 AM
Advanced

soon.... those guys were gonna figure out what went wrong.... it might be a cross in their wiring to the HU.... they've promissed me that I will have answer this coming week and they will also provide compansation for this delay.... so I guess we'll need to wait a bit longer
Good luck bud. Keep us posted.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:11 PM
Advanced

Hey psheu, looks like there is yet another firmware update out there (7-22-09): http://www.gromaudio.com/software.html
Old 07-24-2009, 11:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by slainte_0317
Hey psheu, looks like there is yet another firmware update out there (7-22-09): http://www.gromaudio.com/software.html
Thanx slainte, I've called them and they are working on getting a RL HU to test out the unit to make it work. They told me that by first week of August they'll have a working solution for me.... let's see if they keep up their end of the bargin.... they also promissed me a $50 for this inconvenience, I haven't see a nickel of that dime yet
Old 07-25-2009, 06:32 AM
Advanced

Thanx slainte, I've called them and they are working on getting a RL HU to test out the unit to make it work. They told me that by first week of August they'll have a working solution for me.... let's see if they keep up their end of the bargin.... they also promissed me a $50 for this inconvenience, I haven't see a nickel of that dime yet
If they get that thing working, I am sure they'll sell a few more to folks on this forum. $50 off is not a bad deal for you! Hopefully they work it out.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for diving right in, looking forward to see if a working real solution will ever come out for this forgotten car.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:53 PM
Intermediate

If this product will work in a 2005 RL, it would turn my car (which I love) into my dream car. Please keep us posted on this.

Would an Acura dealership be willing to install something like this? I would think they would not want to put some other company's product into their car. I am not willing or able to install something like this myself and don't really trust anyone other than my Acura dealer around my hometown...
Old 08-03-2009, 02:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
This should be something a car stereo shop could handle easily...once the firmware bugs are worked out.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Advanced

amazing stuff, just picked up an RL and this is exactly what I was looking in to, do you have the part numbers for the 09 pieces you ordered...?

You wouldn't happen to have the diagram, because I wasn't sure if the jacks go in to the center console arm rest or the glove compartment, thanks in advance!
Old 08-05-2009, 01:57 PM
Burning Brakes

the tech from this company just emailed me and told me that everything checked out and sent me the newest update version 10 (more updated than the one they have on their site version 9).... so, I guess tonite I'll try it again to see if it works.... wish me luck.....

as for the 09 parts, I'm gonna pick it up after I get everything working..... kinda slipped my mind about the parts I've ordered..... Once everything is working as planned, I'll provide the parts needed, more pix and installation process

I really hope it works... than it's hellllo USB stick, good bye burning cd/dvd..... I'm not really looking to build a carputer (even tho, with the new N330 Atom chips, it's even more possible now) and run the dreaded wires all over the car
Old 08-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 845 Posts
Looking forward to it.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you gotten it to work yet?
Old 08-11-2009, 05:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Bad news guys. The unit I have doesn't even work! I got so fed up with playing their lab rat, I've completely gave up on it. I've requested RMA from them. They sent me a RMA number and no return label/postage. I've called them to request for the return postage (keep in mind that they sent me an item that is suppose to work, but not) and they said "no, it's company policy".... They have very bad customer service and support. This unit doesn't even work from day one and they kept on telling me to hold on to it and sent me some "file" to patch this unit. They also claimed that they got a head unit of our 2nd gen RL and test it out and it works (sounds more like bullshit than truth)...

Hi Phil,
I understand, however we tested on such stereo and it worked fine, so I
guess it could be specific year issues.
Unfortunately we cannot guarantee 100% compatibility due to many factors, so
we will send you RMA shortly,
Dmitry/

should've got my attention when I read the way they switch between the units, "disc-FM-disc"..... my HU is as stock and standard as it comes like the rest of the 2nd gen Acura RL. and because of this thing, I'm so good in get to the back of the HU (not special tools required, just 2 hands and 1 screw driver) Sorry to keep everyone waiting..... I guess the search continues....

ps. anyone know where I can write to to complain about this? thanx!
Old 08-11-2009, 05:13 PM
Advanced

That is bad news psheu, sorry to hear they didn't take care of you. Anything on their site about that in the return policy? If not, tell them your next call is to your credit card company...then the better business bureau. Also let them know that you have posted your story on the web, and it's in their best interest for the story to end well : )

Sorry it didn't work out for ya.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:58 AM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just installed the Grom unit (GROM-USB2-HON1) in my 05 RL and it seems to work fine. Must be the new firmware. I also added the bluetooth module (Cable-BTD) for streaming audio (internet radio, etc) from my phone. Took a couple tries to pair it to my Droid 2, but now works great. Keeping my fingers crossed !
Old 08-28-2012, 11:27 AM
10th Gear

I agree with Bosco. This unit works perfectly. I also removed the XM antenna plug to solve the interference problem. If you have XM and want to keep it with GROM, simply update the firmware of the device to CD Emulation. I'm assuming it will work but I have not tried that.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:19 AM
1st Gear

This is a very timely thread! I have been reading with great interest.

I just got myself a 2005 RL recently and have been pondering this upgrade...

Quick Reply: USB Audio connector for 05-08 RL