Old 12-05-2007, 08:21 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
touch screen

why dont we have it. The tsx loaner had it, it was cool
Old 12-05-2007, 09:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Touch screen is so yesterday because the RL, RDX and MDX have the ~600 word voice command nav system...Touch screens have been around since 1996 starting in the first RL. You can do most things by just talking...granted, you need to learn the phrases....
Old 12-05-2007, 09:10 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to agree with Chas2. I just put an anti-glare screen protector on my screen so that when helpful friends reach up to punch the big OK button I don't have to punch them in the arm quite so hard. I can do _everything_ the car can do without ever taking my eyes off the road.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,433 Posts
the reason the touch screen is not integrated in the RL, MDX and RDX is the positioning of the screen. It would be a stretch to get to the screen in its current location, and the current location was chosen for safety as the driver can look at the screen quickly and get back to the road.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Advanced

For what its worth

The RL's dial controlled system (which is similar to the new Accord's) is much nicer than the touch screen in day to day use. After having the touch screen in my 2006 Accord for over 2 years, I immediately adjusted to using NAVI without it. It is soooo much easier to use the dial while on route. Trying to hunt and peck the touch screen requires taking your eyes off the road.

I agree with the other's . . . the voice commands work great and there are no more finger prints. IMO it comes across as a more sophisticated system.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Trip
For what its worth

The RL's dial controlled system (which is similar to the new Accord's) is much nicer than the touch screen in day to day use. After having the touch screen in my 2006 Accord for over 2 years, I immediately adjusted to using NAVI without it. It is soooo much easier to use the dial while on route. Trying to hunt and peck the touch screen requires taking your eyes off the road.

I agree with the other's . . . the voice commands work great and there are no more finger prints. IMO it comes across as a more sophisticated system.
granted it is better so you don't need to look off the road, but if the passenger is using the navi, it gets a little slow as you have to rotate the dial alot for letters rather than touching them.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by csmeance
granted it is better so you don't need to look off the road, but if the passenger is using the navi, it gets a little slow as you have to rotate the dial alot for letters rather than touching them.
Actually my passengers have commented how much easier it is to use the interface dial versus the touch screen. Most people are right handed to begin with so tapping the screen with their left hand slows them down. And particularly on the keyboard screen when trying to tap out street or place names, its a 2:3 hit rate. Every couple of letters they have to back space and retry because they're not on the mark with their intended letter. They tend to lean over the armrest to look dead on at the screen to help them aim. When I'm trying to shift its like Get Off Me!

Another reason I like the dial better is that the touch screen operation seems to be affected by temp extremes. It needs to be tapped extra hard when its freezing cold or really hot out. Of course after the car warms up its not an issue but chances are when programming a destination, its the first thing you do before driving off.

Something else to consider is long term relaibility of the touch screens. How effective are they after 5 years? 7? 10?
Old 12-22-2007, 04:42 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Touch screen is nice, but on my former TL, I found it difficult to peck at the screen accurately with the car motions. I was usually missing and hitting the incorrect key (not to say my typos are any better from my laptop! ).

I too hated the fingerprints on the screen. I personally find the RL VR and Interfce dial both much better options over the touch screen.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:58 AM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by Ry4an
I have to agree with Chas2. I just put an anti-glare screen protector on my screen so that when helpful friends reach up to punch the big OK button I don't have to punch them in the arm quite so hard. I can do _everything_ the car can do without ever taking my eyes off the road.
I'm bumping an old thread because I finally found someone who mentions using an anti-glare screen. How is it? Does it actually help? I've been noticing some annoying glare under direct sunlight with my Nav screen. I'm considering this as a potential solution:

Amazon Amazon

Any thoughts?
Old 05-28-2012, 12:57 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Sounds interesting too to have the anti glare screen, but that price is sky high. Maybe we can get one custom cut for half that from China.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by shahram72
Sounds interesting too to have the anti glare screen, but that price is sky high. Maybe we can get one custom cut for half that from China.
That's my biggest thing, I've bought those screen for my phone for a dollar shipped from China. I think I'll look into buying a bulk sheet, cutting it to size and selling it to this forum. But I was curious to see if I was the only one with this concern with the RL. Glad to see I'm not alone.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:09 PM
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by projektvertx
That's my biggest thing, I've bought those screen for my phone for a dollar shipped from China. I think I'll look into buying a bulk sheet, cutting it to size and selling it to this forum. But I was curious to see if I was the only one with this concern with the RL. Glad to see I'm not alone.
I know what you are talking about on the glare, I wonder how much it will affect picture quality though.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Matt W
I know what you are talking about on the glare, I wonder how much it will affect picture quality though.
It hasn't affected the screen quality on my phone, I would assume the same in this case. Besides, our nav screen doesn't have the same resolution as our phone screen, so I would assume quality degradation would be less of an issue? I have yet to find a suitable bulk sheet, I'm thinking of going to a few of the local mom n' pops small cell phone shops here and trying my luck with them.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:02 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ive owned a 99 TL, 05 TL and 07 TL-S and now the 08 RL. At first not having touch screen was the thing putting me off the most, now that ive had the RL for about a month i really do prefer the dial over the touch screen. As others have said it is easier to use while driving and seems to be quicker than touchscreen all around. Ive never really like the voice commands so dont use those much other than for the phone.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:32 PM
6th Gear

I recently purchased a 2009 RL and when I first got it I was wishing it was a touchscreen. Now that I'm learning the screen functions, I can focus on driving.