Subwoofer rattle - ping Feng

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 05:52 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subwoofer rattle - ping Feng

What a coincidence...a BOSE person...

I don't know which forum audio is being discussed in the manner you mentioned, but maybe you can help me with my subwoofer.

My '05RL has developed a quite significant rattle at certain frequencies emanating from the subwoofer enclosure. Is there any easy way for me to personally check whether the woofer cone is damaged in some way or whether something has come loose without taking the whole rear self apart and without taking the car into a dealer? I don't know how to disassemble the rear shelf.

I speculate that the cause could be that something is loose, or the woofer is damaged, or the amp is distorting. I'm not playing the radio at significantly high levels and have the bass set at the midpoint...As I recall, tapping on the enclosure from the rear seat causes some rattling.

Any suggestions would be welcome prior to my having to mention this to a dealer at my next service.

Fred
Old 03-17-2006, 05:56 AM
Racer

Popup ads?

I just noticed that my mention of a subwoofer caused an ad. Is this something new on this forum?
Old 03-17-2006, 06:06 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by bluemule
I just noticed that my mention of a subwoofer caused an ad. Is this something new on this forum?
I have no objection to ads if you all are doing this. I've used ZoneAlarm firewall for a number of years, a blocking hosts file, and various other ad blocking tools, such as IESpyad, Spywareblaster and others, all combined together to block any number of things, so I am simply not used to seeing ads per se.

Fred
Old 03-17-2006, 06:11 AM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been getting those popups too... annoying. And I use Camino on a Macintosh, I'm definitely not used to seeing inline popups.

Supposedly, the IntelliText ads are server-side and do not reside on your machine... but I'm not entirely convinced.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:37 PM
office monkey

Probably is the housing or something for the sub. It is my opinion that all car companies do a piss poor job at enclosing the sub and that something always rattles around it whether it is the grill or something else that can't easily be checked/fixed.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jftjr
I've been getting those popups too... annoying. And I use Camino on a Macintosh, I'm definitely not used to seeing inline popups.

Supposedly, the IntelliText ads are server-side and do not reside on your machine... but I'm not entirely convinced.
yep...supposedly javascript...
Old 03-17-2006, 08:30 PM
8th Gear

Info on the RL's rear bass source

Your RL has a number of bass sources. One is a 9", reverse motor structure, Nd magnet woofer. This woofer mates to the rear deck sheet metal via a composite duct. The duct is round at the woofer interface and rectangular where it mounts up to the sheet metal. It is gasketed at both ends and should not rattle.

The "back" of the woofer sees the trunk space. It is not in a box. This type of design is called, "Infinite Baffle," and it is the most efficient way to convert electrical power into acoustic power. Subwoofer implies a speaker to make deep bass. It should not carry any connotations regarding the particular acoustic design principle employed (sealed box, vented box, waveguide, etc.)

Your rattle. It COULD be that the woofer duct is not fitted well or loose. It could also be that the rear deck trim is slightly loose. Best first try is to have the dealer remove the trim, check the duct mounting screws, reinstall the trim. Sometimes that remove/reinstall is enough to get the trim to fit snug again.

Regardless, I would see your dealer. Neither Acura nor Bose wants you to have any problems with your new RL, and I know Bose will bend over backwards to insure that is true for you.

Bfeng

bfeng
Old 03-17-2006, 10:53 PM
'06 RL

It could also be your sunscreen....
Old 03-18-2006, 06:34 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jftjr
It could also be your sunscreen....
One of the TSB's involved some work in the area of the rear shelf. So, I'll have a dealer take a look to see if something has come loose.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:01 PM
Racer

I had the same issue and the dealer told me it was my center brake light cover. They fixed the sunshade per the TSB at the same time so between the two , no more rattles.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by jfprl
I had the same issue and the dealer told me it was my center brake light cover. They fixed the sunshade per the TSB at the same time so between the two , no more rattles.
Sory for the tread change but is there a TSB for the sunshade?