Is it still impossible to "back up" a navigation dvd in 2017?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 11:51 PM
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts
Is it still impossible to "back up" a navigation dvd in 2017?

I recently bought a 2017 map disc for my 2007 MDX. The disc in my RL is from 2012. I tried to "back up" the 2017 disc following this thread but it doesn't work. https://www.stevejenkins.com/blog/20...gation-dvd-cd/

I guess no one has ever figured out how to make an exact copy that works. It is only $99 right now for an update but it still bothers me on general principal. I bought a Garmin years ago with free updates for life. Smart phones have free instant updates as well. Shelling out $99 bucks for map updates that should be free at this point just hurts. Oh well. I guess I don't have a choice if I want the built in Navigation to be up to date.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:42 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

Years ago, (maybe 8yrs ago) I did make a copy of the DVD navigation for my 05 RL and it still working til today.

You have to use verbatim dual layer DVD with writing speed at 2.4x. I know, right! Well, that's work for me.

Give it a try if you still have the Disk.

Note: Acura Navigation upgrade is very tricky.
Let's say: Your current version Navi is 3.4.x and you have in hand a newer version as 3.6.x. Well, when inserted 3.6.x to run the upgrade, the system will ask for 3.5.x to continue. Yes.. it took me some time to find all others upgrade in between. But I did it and haven't mess with it since. ;-)

Just sticks with Google Map on your smartphone. It's FAST and updated.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:24 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by elude79
Hi,

Years ago, (maybe 8yrs ago) I did make a copy of the DVD navigation for my 05 RL and it still working til today.

You have to use verbatim dual layer DVD with writing speed at 2.4x. I know, right! Well, that's work for me.

Give it a try if you still have the Disk.

Note: Acura Navigation upgrade is very tricky.
Let's say: Your current version Navi is 3.4.x and you have in hand a newer version as 3.6.x. Well, when inserted 3.6.x to run the upgrade, the system will ask for 3.5.x to continue. Yes.. it took me some time to find all others upgrade in between. But I did it and haven't mess with it since. ;-)

Just sticks with Google Map on your smartphone. It's FAST and updated.
Not to labor the point, but would you mind writing up how you did it for the somewhat technologically dense like me Much appreciated