Re-calibrate NAV?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 08:54 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re-calibrate NAV?

Is there any way to re-calibrate the RL's NAV system? i find that mine is off sufficiently so that the target address is still some distance away after the system tells me I've arrived.

While this doesn't really matter in suburban or rural areas, I find it really a problem when driving into high density urban areas where street addresses come up in quick succession and there's no way to guess just how far the target address is when the NAV tells me I've arrived.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:21 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Yes you can adjust the Vehicle Position in the Navi:

SETUP > VEHICHLE > VEHICLE POSITION will allow you to adjust the vehicle position (cursor) to a more accurate position.

If you do this, be sure you are doing it when the car is parked on a known digitized road. My cul-de-sac is only dgitized to the entrance, so it sometimes looks like I am parked at my neighbors house or in the street even though the NAVI reads my address.

Keep in the position on the map is extrapolated by periodic satellite GPS pings. If you are on a non digitized road the vehicle uses gyros and sensors to 'assume' the position of the car relative to the map data on the DVD, such as in a parking garage or tunnel where GPS is not visable to the RL. Once the vehicle can read a GPS signal, it uses tha positionng information to more accurately reflect the RLs position on the map, relative to the DVD map data.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:04 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the tip! I went ahead and did that but it hasn't made any difference with the address locations. They are still off. Actually, the NAV system was pretty accurate when it came to reflecting the car's positioning on the map.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:21 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

It sounds like the digitized mapping on the DVD is more the issue. The NAVI is only as accurate as the information on the DVD. Perhaps a newer DVD will have better details, but most of us are still waiting for the latest DVD to pass test and be made available.

Still there are other features in the NAVI that may better assist you with zeroing in on your target destinations.

I would suggest you adjust your NAVI Guidance to MAX (also on the SETUP Screen Menu). Perhaps also changing to the Split Screen Guidance so you can see the list of guidance prompts alongside the map. And of course, when you are within say 1/4 mile of your destination, zoom in your screen to see the best detail of the stree you are on. Your NAVI will also depict how close you are (withing 1000 ft, 500 ft, etc) if you utilize the Spilt Screen Mode.

This is actually how I most frequently use my NAVI. I geerally know where I am going, but not exactly sure where on a street or sa what strip mall is where I am seeking, so it is great for being my co-pilot and advising when I am very close to my anticipated destinate. It has proven very orthwhile to me.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:25 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

OY! MY TYPING!

I wish I was as drunk as my typing depicts!

Originally Posted by TampaRL
Yes you can adjust the Vehicle Position in the Navi:

SETUP > VEHICHLE > VEHICLE POSITION will allow you to adjust the vehicle position (cursor) to a more accurate position.

If you do this, be sure you are doing it when the car is parked on a known digitized road. My cul-de-sac is only dgitized to the entrance, so it sometimes looks like I am parked at my neighbors house or in the street even though the NAVI reads my address.

Keep in the position on the map is extrapolated by periodic satellite GPS pings. If you are on a non digitized road the vehicle uses gyros and sensors to 'assume' the position of the car relative to the map data on the DVD, such as in a parking garage or tunnel where GPS is not visable to the RL. Once the vehicle can read a GPS signal, it uses tha positionng information to more accurately reflect the RLs position on the map, relative to the DVD map data.