Questions on a '06 with Nav mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009 | 06:25 PM
TES
4th Gear

Questions on a '06 with Nav mods

I just picked up an '06 that appears to have been previously owned by a member of this community a couple years ago as the signature I found mirrors my RL. (see signature below) I have a couple questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

1) There is a toggle switch tucked up above the emergency brake foot lever by the fuse box. It appears it controls the Nav unit since in the off position I have no image and in the on it says enter code. (yes I need to get my Nav code, yet I need to get the serial number first from the back of my control unit in the trunk) Do you think this controlled the Mediagate refrenced below (skiunow signature) that use to be under the back seat? (wiring is still there, yet no hardware)

2) There is also a phone jack (male end) tucked up by the brake foot lever too -- any ideas what this is for -- it's attached to about 5 feet of phone line?

3) I've searched and search with no good image of the rear camera -- where did most '06's mount it? Currently it's attached to the rear ZR3 laser senor and hangs way to far down on my licenses plate. I see some custom installs, yet don't see pictures of '06 OEM.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide -- this RL is very nice and it's my first Acura since I sold my '92 NSX years ago. Love to hear the vtec again!

(skiunow's old signature with a few edits)
2006 Acura RL
Premium White/Ebony
20x8.5 Beyern Type Multi Chrome
255-35-20 Pirrelli (now has Toyo's)
A-Spec Lip Spoiler
Wood Steering Wheel & Shifter
20% Tint ATWA
Custom K&N Intake
USA-Spec iPod Adapter w/Custom Mount
Doms TVandNav2Go (don't know where to look for this equipment?)
Mediagate HDD (no longer under back seat - wiring still there)
Backup Camera
Passport 8500 W/ Laser Shifter ZR3 Hardwired (Passport 8500 is gone, yet ZR3 still installed)
Old 03-09-2009 | 10:17 PM
Intermediate

#2 is probably for the power cord of the passport 8500...
Old 03-10-2009 | 01:31 AM
Burning Brakes

the serial number is on the bottom side of the navi unit in the trunk... just pill back the bottom cover a little bit you can see the serial number (so you don't have to take off the entire liner).

the normal OEM 06 backup camera is mounted where the trunk open switch is (the switch is relocated to the right side of the trim, a tiny dimple). the 07 backup camera is mounted to the left of the trunk open switch and have a pre-made turret on the chrome license plate trim (this is how I installed mine, check My Garage, I got some pictures there). the 06 backup camera is a complete kit including wires mounting hardware etc.
Old 03-10-2009 | 11:21 AM
TES
4th Gear

hawnr6, interesting a phone jack plugs into an 8500 -- didn't know that. thx

psheu, yes I tracked down the serial number last night and obtained my code this morining from Acura CS. I saw the pics of your camera prior to posting -- one of the only ones I could find -- very nice set-up by the way. Looks great! I'll go back and search for a post on your install for a parts list.

I thought '06s came with the OEM camera set-up, yet since my trunk latch hasn't been moved evidently mine is aftermarket.

I'd still love to know what the toggle switch is for -- it obviously turns off the Nav and I'm assume triggers a remote AV set-up. I guess I'll have to plug something in to test.
Old 03-10-2009 | 11:37 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TES
hawnr6, interesting a phone jack plugs into an 8500 -- didn't know that. thx

psheu, yes I tracked down the serial number last night and obtained my code this morining from Acura CS. I saw the pics of your camera prior to posting -- one of the only ones I could find -- very nice set-up by the way. Looks great! I'll go back and search for a post on your install for a parts list.

I thought '06s came with the OEM camera set-up, yet since my trunk latch hasn't been moved evidently mine is aftermarket.

I'd still love to know what the toggle switch is for -- it obviously turns off the Nav and I'm assume triggers a remote AV set-up. I guess I'll have to plug something in to test.
If you look up "Nav2Go" on this site, you will see how it works and it will explain alot of things.

the switch probably controls the video signal to an external DVD player that was hooked up to the nav2go