Phonebook Set-Up HFL Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 05:33 PM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Received 179 Likes on 100 Posts
Phonebook Set-Up HFL Question

I cannot get the voice recognition system to understand "phonebook" when trying to set-up my phone book directory.

Before I take the car back to the dealer, has anyone had the same issue with a solution? Everything else with the voice system and car works fine. I have a Backberry 8830 world phone and the HFL works well otherwise.

It is a 2006 RL with 4700 miles on it.

Thank you!

Ed
Old 03-25-2008, 12:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Here are the directions from the manual. I guess you are saying that you cannot even get past step 1? Do any of the other functions work, like Setup? I would work through each of the manual steps before going to the dealer.

1. Press and release the Talk button.
After the beep, say ‘‘Phonebook.’’
The HFL response is ‘‘Phonebook
options are store, edit, delete, and
list.’’

2. Press and release the Talk button.
After the beep, say ‘‘Store.’’ The
HFL response is, ‘‘What name
would you like to store?’’

3. Press and release the Talk button.
After the beep, say the name you
would like to store. For example,
say ‘‘Eric’’ or say ‘‘account number.’’
The HFL response is ‘‘What is the
number for Eric,’’ or ‘‘What is the
number for account number?’’

4. Press and release the Talk button.
After the beep, say the number.
For example, say ‘‘123 456 7891.’’
The HFL response is ‘‘123 456
7891."

5. Press and release the Talk button.
After the beep, say ‘‘Enter.’’ The
HFL response is ‘‘Eric (or account
number) has been stored.
Returning to the main menu.’’
Old 03-25-2008, 05:45 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CadiGTi
I cannot get the voice recognition system to understand "phonebook" when trying to set-up my phone book directory.

Ed
Just to double check, you're hitting the button with a picture of the phone on it before you say "phonebook"?
Old 03-25-2008, 08:26 PM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

I am using the button at the bottom of the steering wheel. The day I purchased the car the dealer paired my Sprint Treo phone to the car. A few days later I bought the Blackberry 8830 and I was able to pair the new phone myself without issue.

Apparently the system does not like the way I say "phonebook" as each attempt I make the system gives me a different system response each time (ie. "fan speed", "a/c off", etc...). I thought it is strange I had no problem pairing the phone but now cannot set-up the phonebook (I thought I lost my NY accent after leaving NY 23 years ago!).

The selling dealer, Karen Radley, has been great. Their sales staff and service people have really made a commendable effort to make sure I am completely happy so I will stop over there later this week. The RL is a 2006 model and had 4700 1 owner miles when I purchased it 2 weeks ago. The car is flawless.

This is the 2nd Acura I have owned and the 3rd Acura dealer I have dealt with (Price in Dover De, Pohanka in Chantilly, and Karen Radley in Woodbridge). They have all been great and what a difference and pleasure after owning 2 VW's and dealing with VW's attitude towards customer care.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by CadiGTi
I am using the button at the bottom of the steering wheel. The day I purchased the car the dealer paired my Sprint Treo phone to the car. A few days later I bought the Blackberry 8830 and I was able to pair the new phone myself without issue.

Apparently the system does not like the way I say "phonebook" as each attempt I make the system gives me a different system response each time (ie. "fan speed", "a/c off", etc...). I thought it is strange I had no problem pairing the phone but now cannot set-up the phonebook (I thought I lost my NY accent after leaving NY 23 years ago!).

The selling dealer, Karen Radley, has been great. Their sales staff and service people have really made a commendable effort to make sure I am completely happy so I will stop over there later this week. The RL is a 2006 model and had 4700 1 owner miles when I purchased it 2 weeks ago. The car is flawless.

This is the 2nd Acura I have owned and the 3rd Acura dealer I have dealt with (Price in Dover De, Pohanka in Chantilly, and Karen Radley in Woodbridge). They have all been great and what a difference and pleasure after owning 2 VW's and dealing with VW's attitude towards customer care.
You're using the wrong button. You are using the voice command button and you need to be using the HandsFreeLink (HFL) button on the left side of the steering wheel in the middle.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Look in the manual. You are definitely using the wrong button. It is not your accent. You are not accessing the HFL system.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:38 PM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Sure enough I WAS using the wrong button!

Thank you all for the responses and directions....The system is working great now.

Ed