Noob question

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noob question

I have an 07 TLS but my dad just bought an 08 RL. The car has a nav screen and dvd trunk slot with a ver 4.54 disc. Car does not seem to have nav buttons on the dash. Once agreeing to the pop up warning only a compass/gps locator comes up with no map or any nav options. Car is not a tech package and I'm just wondering if there are any other functions other than just looking at the compass. thanks for the help.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:09 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
It sounds like your dad's 08 RL is the BASE model (introduced in 08)....meaning the Non-NAVI model.

This BASE model deleted the NAVI, AFS (Steering Headlights) and has plood instead of real wood dash.

A few clues.... in the center stack is there button labled COMPASS? Also, on the dash, left of the instrument cluster are two buttons, one VSA and one AFS. If you have a blank instead of AFS, that is another clue.

Last, the drive in the trunk is a DVD drive for NAVI models, and a CD drive for non-NAVI models.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:02 PM
Advanced

thanks for the response. it just seems retarded that the compass function requires the nav disk to be in the rear dvd slot in order to work. if you remove the disk, the you get the same warning i get when i remove the disk from my tls (please insert nav dvd).

wondering if its possible to install the software for map to come up as the car is already pulling up a location via global positioning. i mean why have the screen there. just stupid
Old 07-20-2010, 10:21 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

You need to educate yourself to the car and how it is equipped so things seem less 'retarded' and 'stupid' to you.

A BASE RL (non NAVI) does not use a NAVI DVD. It uses a CD and also has a CD drive not a DVD NAVI drive. They are not interchangeble. The screen is simply a display component and does not dictate a NAVI system is installed.

There were non NAVI RLs and Honda LEGENDs produced for markerts where NAVI was not available at the times (ie. early Hawaii models). These models got the electronic compass configuration with the CD drive system. That system uses a CD (not a NAVI DVD with mapping and plotting capability) as it supports many of the Voice Recognition technology of the car. Without it, well it would just be 'retarded'.

The NAVI DVD drive and corresponding DVD brings the maps and GPS capability to life and some RL owners have converted non NAVI RLs to NAVI by changing the CD drive to the DVD drive and aquiring a NAVI DVD.

The BASE RL model was introduced in 2007, dropping the NAVI as some complained it was too complicated, expensive or both. I guess they are just 'retarded' and 'stupid' for not educating themselves to what they had purchased.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 846 Posts
That sums it up nicely.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:05 AM
Advanced

lolz, so i should educate and learn about my dad's car that i drove for 2 days while i was visiting? he doesnt give a shit about it, i was just curious. thanks for answering my question and being a jackass all at the same time. no need to respond to this one either. thanks again.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:50 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by SlowDown
lolz, so i should educate and learn about my dad's car that i drove for 2 days while i was visiting? he doesnt give a shit about it, i was just curious. thanks for answering my question and being a jackass all at the same time. no need to respond to this one either. thanks again.
Just be clear....you can't be bothered to know what features the car has but you have determined it is 'retarded' and stupid? Does not sound to me that the car or Acura is the one lacking here.

And dad does not give a 'shit' about what he has purchased? He must be a salesmans's dream.

I had hoped the apple had fallen far from the tree....but maybe not.

Disparaging things that do not make sense to you will take you very far in life.