New user HFL phone questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 06:04 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New user HFL phone questions

I am just beginning to use my cell phone through the RL's HFL and have a few questions. (I apologize in advance for these inquiries from a novice.)

When I received my first incoming call, I noticed the MID display changed to show certain information about the phone. "Incoming call" was displayed, along with what I think are a signal strength icon and a battery level meter.

1. Can the MID display the signal strength and battery level of a paired phone other than during a call? (I can't seem to find a HFL section when cycling through the MID display choices. Is it there?)

2. I haven't yet entered any phone numbers/names into the HFL address book, but if I do will the MID display the name of a listed person who calls in?

3. Can the MID display the name of an incoming caller NOT listed in the HFL address book using either the cell phone's address book or normal caller ID? (There was no phone number displayed for the incoming call, even though the caller was in my phone's address book.)

4. My phone's own battery meter was showing 2 of 4 bars for battery strength. At the same time, the HFL battery meter displayed during the incoming call showed 4 of 5 bars. Why the discrepancy?

Thanks for answering these questions!
Old 01-29-2008, 06:14 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
I have an 05, so not sure what if anything has changed in HFL since, but:
1. Signal Strength and Battery level only show when HFL is active (placing call or receiving). You are lucky it shows these other readings, as most phones do not pair well enough with HFL for those readings to show.
2. After entering numbers into the HFL Voice Recognition, it displays the number in the MID when you call, but repeats the name in the voice response, i.e., Voice Reponse "Would you like to dial Home" and MID displays your home number.
3. MID will display number of incoming call received through your phone's caller ID. No name even if Name is in your Phone's phonebook.
4. As I indicated in 1 above, HFL does not show signal and battery for most phones, so if it does I'm not surprised that it is suspect.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:34 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
First, I recomment visiting Acura's HFL minisite. You can reach it via OwnerLink or the Acura RL web site.

Each phone that is compatible with the RLs HFL may offer different capabilities depending on the phone model and your cell carrier. Therefore a Moto RAZR V3 with ATT may behave differently then the same model phone with Verizon.

Look up you phone, carrier and model year RL and you will find a chart to see what features your phone & carrier will have with the HFL.

That said, there are some generalities in your questions that make no difference which phone and carrier:

1) The MID only displays HFL info when you have an incoming call (to a paired phone) or you tap the HFL button on the steering wheel. There is no continuous HFL display on the MID. Some of us former TL owners miss the telephone icon on the top dash LCD display that gives you an active indicator HFL is connected with your cell phone. Also, if you activate HFL and hit the audio button on the center stack, you get a generic HFL screen on the NAVI. It has no specific info on the call, just a screen to show the audio is now under HFL operation (as is the stereo muted).

2) The MID will only display numbers (caller ID) of inbound or outbound (dialed) calls (assuming your phone /carrier can display Caller ID per the HFL website). The only 'name' will be the voice feedback of the name you voice tagged to a number stored in your HFL phonebook. Since it is a voice tag you make, it will actually repeat back the name you recorded in your voice. Ex: If you store a number in HFL for 'Sue', and say 'Call Sue' the voice feedback will say 'Would you like to call Sue?' while the MID displays the number you stored for 'Sue'. If Sue calls you, the MID will display Sue's number only (again, if your phone / carrier is supported for Caller ID with HFL).

3) Again, MID only displays incoming number (if your phone / carrier supports Caller ID with HFL), never displays a name. The HFL & MID cannot 'read' your cell phone's address book, nor import it, so it is irrelevant what is on your cell phone address book. The HFL only recognizes voice names you enter into the HFL address book, and displays the corresponding number for the voice tag. Note: The MDX and now TL have a newer version of HFL where some phones can export and synch the cell phone address book with the HFL address book. Expect to see this on the 09 RL.

4) This is common with many phones. Different brands / manufactures and even software versions make it less than an exact apples to apples comparison of signal strength and battery stength. Most phone use 4 bars for signal strength, so HFL tends to be fairly accurate there. But battery strength is another issue. Some phone use 3 bars for full strenght and the RL HFL uses 5 bars for full strenght...so it has to round values....and less accurate.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:14 PM
Advanced

Thank you for those detailed responses. I've had this car for over a year and I'm still learning!
Old 01-29-2008, 09:18 PM
A Saitama Garage

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ed111
Thank you for those detailed responses. I've had this car for over a year and I'm still learning!
Wow! You waited a year to start using HFL. Good for you. When my mom bought her TL, she paid to get out of her contract just so she could get a bluetooth phone to connect on her car!

Speaking of HFL - although ours has it's limitations - it's one of the best on the market. The Infiniti's is very very sporadic. My father in law has the M35 and he doesn't even use it because it constantly drops calls. Oh, and in G35, the audio is played through a mini speaker in the roof. Craziness!

Another reason to love the RL.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:17 AM
Advanced

You're right, I waited to long to use the HFL.

I know it's a poor excuse, but my old phone didn't have Bluetooth and I had to wait until I got a phone that does!!
Old 01-30-2008, 07:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
California is implementing the Hand-Free law this year so BT is a great feature but BT does not make you a better driver. Honing the skills of driving will make you a better driver and talking on the phone will only make you a better talker.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:01 AM
Advanced

Good point, db22, but. . . Skillfully driving the RL while simultaneously using the HFL. . . .Isn't that why we were born with two sides of the brain!
Old 01-31-2008, 09:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by ed111
Good point, db22, but. . . Skillfully driving the RL while simultaneously using the HFL. . . .Isn't that why we were born with two sides of the brain!
Either Californian drivers only have one side or one of the sides is reserved for alcohol!