NavTraffic getting better?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 02:39 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Exclamation NavTraffic getting better?

I've been pretty critical about NavTraffic so far, but I have to admit it is getting better in my area (Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX).

Over just the past 45 days, more and more traffic incidents have been showing up, and they seem to be more accurate time-wise than they used to be. For example, I noticed this morning that an icon popped up in my vicinity and only a few minutes later my local AM station reported the accident. That was a surprise.

Also, icons are showing up more frequently in the "Mid-Cities" area, between Dallas and Ft. Worth. That wasn't the case when I first got my RL 9 or 10 months ago, so I figure the coverage area is expanding a bit.

We still don't have flow data in this area, but just seeing the accidents and construction displayed on the map is very helpful. The only beef I still have is the timeliness of removing the icons after an accident has cleared.

I'd still love to see the TIME of the accident (or the first report of it) in the info dialogue box that shows the location and other data. That would really help me determine if it's an old report and possibly cleared.

It's looking like I might even renew NavTraffic!

Old 05-25-2007, 03:48 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine works fine Mike. No problems like you mentioned. I'm in the Orlando area and we don't have flow data. I can't get real excited about this feature without that. Highways in Orlando clog without needing accidents. Lots of seasonal traffic with the attractions around here. I pretty much know the patterns but sometimes it's unpredictable with big conventions in town. I WANT FLOW DATA!
Old 05-25-2007, 10:39 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX

We still don't have flow data in this area, but just seeing the accidents and construction displayed on the map is very helpful. The only beef I still have is the timeliness of removing the icons after an accident has cleared.

I'd still love to see the TIME of the accident (or the first report of it) in the info dialogue box that shows the location and other data. That would really help me determine if it's an old report and possibly cleared.

It's looking like I might even renew NavTraffic!

Mike,

Many times if you click on the icon, it'll say that the accident has been cleared. At least I've experienced this. I think the reason they keep it on is so that you're aware of any residual traffic congestion.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:08 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by GoHawks
Mike,

Many times if you click on the icon, it'll say that the accident has been cleared. At least I've experienced this. I think the reason they keep it on is so that you're aware of any residual traffic congestion.
Yep, Go, I've noticed that, too. But in my area there are still lots of them that just say something like "Accident, I-45 E & I-20", and in some cases the radio traffic reporters will have declared the accident cleared long ago.

Problem is, that makes you suspicious of all of them, because if you see an icon on your route you never know if it's a "fresh" one or one that's "stale" and really all cleared up.

But as I said originally, it definitely DOES appear to be getting better. And since I know it varies by metro area, I'm glad to see the improvement.