Navigation Upgrade on 2008 Rl

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011 | 09:05 AM
Intermediate

Navigation Upgrade on 2008 Rl

I read on a post here that is was possible to upgrade a non-nav Rl with navigation by simply swapping out the disc drive in the trunk with a Navigation DVD disc drive.

I went on Ebay looking for used drives and came across this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=...ies%26_fvi%3D1

I bought the drive! The drive is currently in transit and I haven't gotten it yet. Here's the problem. After the drive shipped, I searched the part # that the seller has on the listing. It came back on Google with a 2005 Rl part #. On the listing, the seller clearly says that it was pulled from a 2006 Rl. I emailed the seller and asked him to clarify and sadly he said it is pulled from a 2005 and not a 2006!

I am disappointed since I read elsewhere that 2005 disc drives do NOT include an input for the rear-view camera which I intend to install in the near future.

My questions:

1. Is it possible to install a factory (OEM) rear-view Camera on a 2005 disc drive? Is there a plugin on the back?
2. Does the 2005 disc drive lack any features or enhancements found on later models (06-08)?
3. Will the latest maps work with the 2005 drive?

I may or may not return the drive depending on what you guys say.

Thanks in advance for your input!
Paul

Last edited by pjwr2004; 10-11-2011 at 09:06 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 10-11-2011 | 11:42 AM
Senior Moderator

You will not be able to put an Acura backup cam on that drive. You will need a Navtool or similar aftermarket nav-hack to input video onto your screen. For instance the Navtool has two video inputs. Input 1 can be anything, DVD, iPhone, etc., and input 2 is activated by a switch to reverse. Really anything could go there as well, but a backup cam is the obvious choice.

As for the other stuff, there will be no other features lost with this drive, and any disc updates will work pending the firmware upgrade is installed. If all you care about is the backup cam and there is a similarly priced '06+ drive, then that is the cheapest route. However, if you would like video on your screen as well, the Navtool can be had for around $250. I will someday install the Navtool to put video onto my screen.
The following users liked this post:
pjwr2004 (10-11-2011)
Old 10-11-2011 | 11:55 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by oo7spy
You will not be able to put an Acura backup cam on that drive. You will need a Navtool or similar aftermarket nav-hack to input video onto your screen. For instance the Navtool has two video inputs. Input 1 can be anything, DVD, iPhone, etc., and input 2 is activated by a switch to reverse. Really anything could go there as well, but a backup cam is the obvious choice.

As for the other stuff, there will be no other features lost with this drive, and any disc updates will work pending the firmware upgrade is installed. If all you care about is the backup cam and there is a similarly priced '06+ drive, then that is the cheapest route. However, if you would like video on your screen as well, the Navtool can be had for around $250. I will someday install the Navtool to put video onto my screen.
Just the info I needed. Thanks!

I am going to return the drive and look for a deal on a 06-08 drive. As much as I'd love to have the Navtool and extra video input, I want to keep my car as stock as possible, plus the fact that I'm not very technical and don't want to break anything.

thanks again,
Paul
Old 10-24-2011 | 12:38 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by oo7spy

I finally found and purchased an '06 Nav drive! It's coming in today. Can you give me some advice or point me to where I can find installation instructions? I know it involves taking off carpet but that's about it.

Thanks again,
Paul
Old 10-24-2011 | 01:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Here is some info on upgrading the unit. I'm not sure if there are assembly instructions there or not.
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-90/i-003-diy-base-rl-nav-rl-conversion-499970/

Here is Heavy's DIY for the NavTool which requires access to the drive.
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-90/i-018-heavy-vs-navtool-785873/

Good luck!