Navigation Screen Stays Black

Old 12-18-2015, 08:32 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exact same problem on my 2005 RL'. First door handle then nav screen. Replaced defective door handle then, when nav screen went black a few months later took it to Acura. They gave it a rap on the side and it's been working ever since! Go figure. Possibly bad ground but I'm holding my breath.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:23 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger
My car just started doing this. So bizarre that it's happening to this many people this spring. Mine worked perfectly for the first 199805 miles. Sometimes I think the car is just holding out to 200k at which point it's going to blow up. I've got a headlight flicker, the clock cutting in and out, needs new bank 1 cats, and now my nav screen is taking a dump.
what was your fix? im having the exact same problems
Old 03-28-2016, 08:08 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
Do the auto lights work?
Old 04-02-2016, 07:56 PM
3rd Gear

yes
Old 09-18-2016, 11:34 PM
2005 Acura RL

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
can you perform the screen color test if your getting the black screen from you navigation unit? (pushing the map/menu/canel buttons) i was just wondering if i could color test the screen before i attempt to send the dvd unit in trunk to alpine for repair.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:54 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it would appear my screen just went as well. I can see that the screen is backlit but theres no images.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:40 AM
3rd Gear

you have to have the dvd unit repaired by Alpine
Old 10-19-2016, 02:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
Or replaced...
Old 11-04-2016, 02:25 PM
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have the same issue of blank screen on my 05 Acura TL. Dealer says there are no test for screen, only send out for repair.Dealer says DVD unit in the trunk if defective would still show a message on screen noting problem.
Fuse ok, Radio and heat/Ac not effected. I finally purchased a used Navigation Screen from salvage yard and installed it today. NO CHANGE, DARK SCREEN STILL! Salvage yard now looking for another screen.
I am curious about others having issues with the driver door handle and possible ground connection. Anything with that problem others have had?
Old 12-10-2016, 08:18 PM
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up 2005 TL Navigation blank screen issues

I ended up removing my DVD Navigation unit from the trunk and sending it to Alpine in California for a diagnostic check. If nothing was wrong with it, there would be a $50 fee. It was worth the gamble.

After they received it and checked it out Alpine said it did need the repair, and it would be $358. They basically replaced the entire DVD trunk unit (except the case) for my repair. Return shipping was included. They sent it back a week later, I installed it and I am back in business! All functions in the Navigation screen now working fine,I am finally able to see the radio station screen, and the clock is finally right (it works off the GPS)
It would have been more expensive to go thru the repair with the dealer removing the unit ,so overall I am ok with the final repair bill. It was technically an easy removal and replacement. I hardly had used the view screen for Navigation in the past, but not being able to see the screen for the radio stations or having the clock wrong was irritating and eventually may have made the sale of my car in the future a big negative, since the rest of the car is in very good condition.
Hope this helps....
The following 2 users liked this post by floridabob:
cyberquest (12-11-2016), projektvertx (12-10-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 10:40 AM
3rd Gear

Question Navigation issues 2017 ILX. Does not navigate on the best route or thinks the car is

The navigation in my new ILX does not take you to the best route, thinks my car is on the wrong road and the like. Are there defects in the software? I purchased this car because of the great look and tech package.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:16 AM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by Elaine Sachs
The navigation in my new ILX does not take you to the best route, thinks my car is on the wrong road and the like. Are there defects in the software? I purchased this car because of the great look and tech package.
I would definitely search in the ILX forum to see if this is an issue. If it's a 2017, it should be under your bumper to bumper. If nothing surfaces on the ILX forum, I would make a warranty claim.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:11 PM
2nd Gear

Curious what the fix is for this? I have the identical issue with my nav in my 2006 TL. The most frustrating part is not being able to adjust the clock without a functioning screen. Please let me know what you did to correct this problem. Thank you.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:08 PM
3rd Gear

I have an appt with the dealer on Monday to review the issue. The software in the car has gone craze. Now it's stuck in Cruse mode. I'll keep you posted.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:40 PM
2nd Gear

Hello. I'm just curious what you found out from the dealer? Not sure if we have the same issue or not but any info will help. Thank you.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:55 AM
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts
My screen is now blank. Started this morning. I restarted the car a few times after shutting it down and waiting a few minutes but the screen has not come back on. I ejected and reinstalled the dvd a few times but that didn't help. I am going to check the fuse next.

If the fuse is good what should I check next? I know the dvd unit could be bad but wouldn't the screen at least turn on and say disc error if that was the case.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by beekermartin
My screen is now blank. Started this morning. I restarted the car a few times after shutting it down and waiting a few minutes but the screen has not come back on. I ejected and reinstalled the dvd a few times but that didn't help. I am going to check the fuse next.

If the fuse is good what should I check next? I know the dvd unit could be bad but wouldn't the screen at least turn on and say disc error if that was the case.
Are you able to access the diagnostic menu by holding map, cancel and menu at the same time? There is a test for each component there, including the dvd drive which may help narrow down the issue.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:38 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by projektvertx
Are you able to access the diagnostic menu by holding map, cancel and menu at the same time? There is a test for each component there, including the dvd drive which may help narrow down the issue.
Nope! I have been in that menu many times to clear stored diagnostic messages. The screen stays black no matter what I try.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:52 PM
Pro

Also, the voice control button isn't working. The one on the steering wheel that you can tell it to change radio stations, control the climate control, etc. I don't use it often but it does normally work. I don't mean the bluetooth. That is working properly.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:55 PM
Pro

I can't edit my post so unfortunately I need to create a new one.

I checked the #7 fuse and that is good. I can see that the backlight of the screen does come on when the car is started. So I assume the issue is not the screen. The disc can be ejected and reinstalled in the drive so there is power. It appear the issue is with the navigation unit. Is the dvd drive the navigation unit or is it a separate unit?
Old 05-08-2017, 10:14 PM

I can't edit my post so unfortunately I need to create a new one.

I checked the #7 fuse and that is good. I can see that the backlight of the screen does come on when the car is started. So I assume the issue is not the screen. The disc can be ejected and reinstalled in the drive so there is power. It appear the issue is with the navigation unit. Is the dvd drive the navigation unit or is it a separate unit?
Unfortunately, I believe that whole unit with the disk is what needs to be sent in for repair.

I wish this was something I had in my electronics box for you to test out :/
The following users liked this post:
beekermartin (05-09-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 08:37 AM
Pro

I wish you had one too!

So the navigation unit itself is built into the dvd drive?
Old 05-09-2017, 09:22 AM

I wish you had one too!

So the navigation unit itself is built into the dvd drive?
Yup, exactly!
beekermartin (05-09-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 10:10 AM
Pro

Looks like my options are to send out my existing unit to be repaired or find a used one on Ebay. I assume I should try to find a newer unit than a 2005 since those appear to have the most issues. What different model units should work with a 2005 RL?
Old 05-09-2017, 09:06 PM

So I compared the part numbers year to year on the RL and it seems the part number on the drive is different for each year:

'05: 39540-SJA-405
'06: 39450-SJA-A31
'07-'08: 39456-SJA-A61

I don't know if the pinouts/harnesses match at all, but my guess is Acura probably found out of some for of defect in the earlier drives they were using...
Old 05-09-2017, 09:43 PM
Pro

So I compared the part numbers year to year on the RL and it seems the part number on the drive is different for each year:

'05: 39540-SJA-405
'06: 39450-SJA-A31
'07-'08: 39456-SJA-A61

I don't know if the pinouts/harnesses match at all, but my guess is Acura probably found out of some for of defect in the earlier drives they were using...
I agree. What year RL's were identical in terms of the navigation system features? I believe 05-08 are identical and the 09-12 were identical. If that is correct then I imagine any 05-08 navigation drive should work. I am leaning towards buying a newer used version than 05 since 05 seems to be the year with the most failures.

I am going to look at some different year models on EBay but I am willing to bet any 05-08 drive will work. I could be completely wrong of course. Lol
Old 05-09-2017, 10:05 PM

I agree. What year RL's were identical in terms of the navigation system features? I believe 05-08 are identical and the 09-12 were identical. If that is correct then I imagine any 05-08 navigation drive should work. I am leaning towards buying a newer used version than 05 since 05 seems to be the year with the most failures.

I am going to look at some different year models on EBay but I am willing to bet any 05-08 drive will work. I could be completely wrong of course. Lol
I believe the features were pretty much identical so long as the vehicles were nav equipped. I don't have the service manual handy right now, but I would double check to make sure the wiring to unit is the same. If it you're in luck and any year should work
Old 05-17-2017, 10:26 PM
2nd Gear

Useful info

Hi all. I know its an old thread but I have just 'fixed' this and have useful info:

-to 'test' screen pull the main black plug half out of the dvd unit and jiggle it in and out. If your screen is working you will get some flickering.
-nav unit may eject disc and still be faulty. But... The orange light in the eject button will not light up if the unit is not booting. A good indication of a faulty dvd unit.

I bought a good used unit (after returning another faulty one) and my issue is now resolved. However have found on plugging in seat heaters booting is unreliable. I can only think a short or that the power level is being disturbed. I have a good new battery.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:22 PM
Pro

I bought a used drive on eBay that the seller stated it says disc error when powering on. I only paid $50 for it but I figured that would be a good unit to test my system. If it boots and I get the same disc error message then I will know the issue with mine is the DVD unit. Then I can try to swap the DVD drive from my unit into the one with the disc error. If I fail it only cost me $50. I would have confirmed the issue with my unit 100%. Before I drop over $400 on getting my unit refurbished I want to know that is the issue.

With all that said I received the eBay drive a few days ago. I haven't had time to install it yet. Tonight after a 30 minute drive my screen randomly came to life and asked for the navigation code! I entered the code and it is working 100% normally. I shut the car off a few times and each time it booted normally and it is working perfectly.

This is very odd. It hasn't worked at all since I posted about it. Now all of a sudden it came to life and is working perfectly. I doubt it will continue working but damn this is a strange turn.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by beekermartin; 05-20-2017 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:57 AM

That's really strange actually... Is it possible the harness at the drive is loose?
Old 05-22-2017, 01:03 PM
Pro

That's really strange actually... Is it possible the harness at the drive is loose?
That is a definite possibility. I will check the connection. It has been working ever since. The day before it stopped working I did have two sets of golf clubs in the trunk. Maybe my brother in law hit something when he was loading or unloading the clubs?

When the unit fails it is usually the drive that is the issue? I've never had a disc read error that I can remember.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:32 PM

That is a definite possibility. I will check the connection. It has been working ever since. The day before it stopped working I did have two sets of golf clubs in the trunk. Maybe my brother in law hit something when he was loading or unloading the clubs?

When the unit fails it is usually the drive that is the issue? I've never had a disc read error that I can remember.
In what I've observed here, it usually tends to be the drives that go bad. Worth noting that this is based on observation on this forum alone though...
Old 03-16-2018, 04:16 AM
Pro

In what I've observed here, it usually tends to be the drives that go bad. Worth noting that this is based on observation on this forum alone though...
I figured I would update this thread. My Navi locked up and I had a black screen about a year ago now. It was that way for a few weeks so I ordered a used DVD drive unit off of eBay. Of course about a day before the used unit showed up randomly my unit started working again. I didn't do anything other than drive the car. So it worked for about a week or so and then it locked up again. A few days later it started working again and it has continued working every since. I never installed the used eBay drive or did anything else. I don't know why but it started working again on its own and has ever since. I am probably jinxing myself posting this but I feel an update was over due. I have no idea what happened or why it has worked well for almost year now since the first issue. Regardless I am happy to report it has worked flawlessly ever since the second random lock up happened. Hopefully that continues for me.
projektvertx (03-16-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 02:44 PM
3rd Gear

Hello I have a 2005 RL..the Nav screen has worked but nav system has not for a while...Recently the screen went blank again...I dont care about the using the nav system just want the screen to work for AC and radio controls..Any help much appreciated..thanks
Old 06-21-2018, 09:47 PM
Pro

I am now at 187k and the navigation is still working. It did go blank for a few minutes one time months ago but it has been working perfectly besides that .

I don't know what would cause this odd issue but my fingers are crossed it continues to work for a long time.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:18 AM
2nd Gear

Does anybody know what the procedure is for installing a used-but-working navigation unit? Besides physically installing it, are there any codes that are needed? A trip to a dealer?
My wife just got a used one at a good price, and I am going to test all of the solder joints and chips inside of the unit I have, but if I cannot fix it with my own skills (no diagostics resources makes it more of a crap-shoot) I will need to go the easy route and just replace it.

If I manage to repair it by opening up the unit, I'll provide a writeup here of the major issues internally. That they work at all tells me that a solder joint, capacitor, or a cooling system is causing problems.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:08 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Navigation

I am doing the same thing today. Just replaced the nav screen with one from a salvage yard, and I have the same dead screen. So, it has to be a problem with the navigation unit, in my MDX, it's under the passenger seat. I'll get it out of there and look for anything obvious.

Let me know if you do the same and we can compare notes.

Thanks

J

Originally Posted by Frum
Does anybody know what the procedure is for installing a used-but-working navigation unit? Besides physically installing it, are there any codes that are needed? A trip to a dealer?
My wife just got a used one at a good price, and I am going to test all of the solder joints and chips inside of the unit I have, but if I cannot fix it with my own skills (no diagostics resources makes it more of a crap-shoot) I will need to go the easy route and just replace it.

If I manage to repair it by opening up the unit, I'll provide a writeup here of the major issues internally. That they work at all tells me that a solder joint, capacitor, or a cooling system is causing problems.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:50 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Jchick
I am doing the same thing today. Just replaced the nav screen with one from a salvage yard, and I have the same dead screen. So, it has to be a problem with the navigation unit, in my MDX, it's under the passenger seat. I'll get it out of there and look for anything obvious.

Let me know if you do the same and we can compare notes.

Thanks

J
I removed and opened up the unit, and didn't see any bad solder joints or other issues.

Something I have noticed is that the cooling fan is never running when the unit is on. At night, when the car is cooler, the unit also works considerably more reliably.

I'm going to re-disassemble it and check if the fan is good. Those come in a standard size and are very cheap, so if that turns out to fix it, I'll update here.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:43 AM
3rd Gear

I have a 2008 Acura mdx and my stereo just went black and it doesn't work anymore, please I need help
Old 07-13-2018, 01:46 AM
3rd Gear

Nope, but the stereo just wouldn't turn on

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Navigation Screen Stays Black