Navigation Calibration Miscue

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 09:23 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigation Calibration Miscue

Tried searching....

2005 RL

On Monday afternoon (7/10) after getting my car back from a parking garage in Manhattan my Nav System calibration was off by like half a block. Everywhere I went in town said I was not on a digitized road. I tried turning the car off, stopping and rebooting the DVD with no help. I am not good at traveling around the city and I needed the Nav system. After retreiving the car again later in the evening it had the same problem all the way back home to NJ. The next morning all is well, no problems.

Lucky I had my wife in the car with a map.

Anybody know what this is or how I can correct it if it happens again?

Thanks,

Don
Old 07-12-2006, 11:02 AM
Instructor

I have the same problem every time I exit a parking garage. The navi is WAY off, showing me driving across Lake Michigan. It takes 8 to 10 minutes of driving (highway speeds) for the the navi to reset to my ACTUAL location. Re-starting the car has no effect. The Acura dealer claims this is "normal", but I don't understand why it wouldn't reset itself after you re-start the car. I mean, in normal use, if you diverge from the navigation route, it notices you missed a turn within five seconds. Why should it take 8-10 minutes for it to correct itself after coming out of a parking garage, even with re-starting the car?

Randy
Old 07-12-2006, 12:25 PM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is normal behavior for a nav system.

Nav systems rely not just on GPS data but on steering input and mileage. When you lose GPS signal (which can happen indoors, as in a garage, or if you're driving in a city where tall buildings block LOS to the equator-based satellites) the system defaults to trying to keep track of your location by steering input and by distance.

On known streets, that's usually not a problem -- the system *assumes* you stay on the streets, and usually tracks just fine until the next sat update.

You go into a city-style parking garage, you're confusing it -- you lose GPS lock from the concrete ceiling, and drive round and round and round and back and forth.....

In order to correct itself, it needs both (a) a stretch of straight road, and (b) unobstructed sat lock.

That may take some driving to do, depending on where you are, and it'll be erratic until it sorts itself out.

I once had my Honda Accord (with Navi) towed off the street in Washington (damn parking signs....). When I picked it up from the impound lot, the navi system was insane for at least 15 minutes -- since the car had been moved while off, the nav system had a complete fit -- it told me I was driving around INSIDE THE CAP CENTER.

Best thing to do is find a clear straight road with an unobstructed southern view, and let it fix itself.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:38 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
I normally park in a covered garage, and have the same issue. When I leave the garage, I turn north and for about a quarter mile there are "breadcrumbs" off to the left of the road. It confused me at first because there's no way I could travel off road there since it's next to a river. Apparantly as I turn around and round in that parking garage, it's confused until I travel a bit on that road.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:57 AM
10th Gear

Thanks everybody. I wasn't aware of the problem and solution.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by dbetman
Tried searching....

2005 RL

On Monday afternoon (7/10) after getting my car back from a parking garage in Manhattan my Nav System calibration was off by like half a block.
Don
'05RL here also. Summertime atmospheric conditions may be the culprit. I park in an open area, and on and off for the past few days when I crank up in the mornings, the NAV is taking longer to lock onto the satellites. And, along with this, even with a clear sky, my DirecTV satellite signal is skipping a bit, particularly in the evenings.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:57 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by bluemule
'05RL here also. Summertime atmospheric conditions may be the culprit. I park in an open area, and on and off for the past few days when I crank up in the mornings, the NAV is taking longer to lock onto the satellites. And, along with this, even with a clear sky, my DirecTV satellite signal is skipping a bit, particularly in the evenings.
BTW, I have DeLorme Street Atlas and Topo installed on a laptop for use in another vehicle. Sometimes this setup will also take a little while to lock onto the satellites.

I found one instance last week where the Street program is more up to date than the original disk I still have in my '05RL, but the ease of use of the RL's system far outweighs the accuracy issue. The updated disk might have taken care of the street omission I encountered...it was fairly new construction missing on the '05RL's DVD.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:14 AM
2nd Gear

navi pass code

I have a 2004rl with navi, but did not get orange disc. Found one on ebay but when I install it asks for pass code, can you help.

[

QUOTE=bluemule]BTW, I have DeLorme Street Atlas and Topo installed on a laptop for use in another vehicle. Sometimes this setup will also take a little while to lock onto the satellites.

I found one instance last week where the Street program is more up to date than the original disk I still have in my '05RL, but the ease of use of the RL's system far outweighs the accuracy issue. The updated disk might have taken care of the street omission I encountered...it was fairly new construction missing on the '05RL's DVD.[/QUOTE]