Navi Traffic

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 12:35 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navi Traffic

I've just noticed about 4 days ago that no real time traffic icons are popping up....i live in NJ, so cannot believe that we've been clear of them for the last 4 days.

Has anyone else seen this ??
Old 09-18-2006, 01:14 PM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Still working in Boston area.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:11 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have found that sometimes, when you zoom in or out of the NAV screen, the NAV Traffic will send a signal to update. This has worked for me, but might just be coincidence.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:48 AM
Advanced

Static - is that a complete zoom in and out or just for the Traffic portion ?
Old 09-21-2006, 07:21 AM
Advanced

FYI.....if you press the Voice activation button and say "Display Traffic", the Navi screen will blink - however, no Traffic icons. I then pressed the Voice activation button and said "Display Traffic List" - which displayed on my screen that No traffic incidents within 30 miles. Next step is to check the traffic report from the morning news and then repeat this process........
Old 09-22-2006, 07:39 PM
Advanced

Resolved.......had to call XM Navi Traffic at 1-866-509-5081. They had me bring the car out of the garage, goto Channel 1 and wait for 20 minutes so the satellite could send the reset signal to the car - it took about 5 minutes and all is well now.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:56 AM
Cruisin'

Have a Nav Traffic question for you all. I drive daily from Long Island NY to NJ (stinks!!) Just got my RL and want to know about Nav traffic.

Do I need to be on a route or will the traffic info be displayed for the roads ahead of me (w/o being on a route).

Also is it worth getting?? I drive in the traffic capital of the world, is the service useful or is AM radio still giving the best(sometimes) info??

Thanks in advance
Rich
Old 10-03-2006, 10:04 AM
Instructor

traffic display

Originally Posted by RICHVIZZ
Have a Nav Traffic question for you all. I drive daily from Long Island NY to NJ (stinks!!) Just got my RL and want to know about Nav traffic.

Do I need to be on a route or will the traffic info be displayed for the roads ahead of me (w/o being on a route).

Also is it worth getting?? I drive in the traffic capital of the world, is the service useful or is AM radio still giving the best(sometimes) info??

Thanks in advance
Rich
In my area the traffic display looks just about exactly like this:

It's constantly updated whether you've got a route navigating or not, and it's spectacular.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:38 AM
Cruisin'

Dude thankyou exactly what I am looking for. Ordering Now
Old 10-03-2006, 12:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Ry4an
In my area the traffic display looks just about exactly like this:

It's constantly updated whether you've got a route navigating or not, and it's spectacular.
My observations LA Area:
TV shows traffic maps but you are in your living room and cannot prove if they are correct.
The map in the RL shows "the last updated data". It could be a long time before it shows up on your screen.
Traffic flow rates are rarely correct. I can be stationary in traffic and my screen shows "no problems".
I have had freeways completely closed due to an accident or roadworks and it does not show up in my RL.
I can be the only car on the freeway and it will show reduced traffic velocity.
As I have previously stated - it's a toy and it makes the screen look fancier but as for it being useful? That may depend on your area. LA has a lot of people with a lot of cars and the system could be of great benefit but it relies on the authorities to send the data to Navtraffic and then for Navtraffic to send it to XM and then for XM to encrypt the data in the transmission. By the time that it has happened you will be knee deep in a 2 hour traffic jam.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:00 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by db22
My observations LA Area:
TV shows traffic maps but you are in your living room and cannot prove if they are correct.
The map in the RL shows "the last updated data". It could be a long time before it shows up on your screen.
Traffic flow rates are rarely correct. I can be stationary in traffic and my screen shows "no problems".
I have had freeways completely closed due to an accident or roadworks and it does not show up in my RL.
I can be the only car on the freeway and it will show reduced traffic velocity.
As I have previously stated - it's a toy and it makes the screen look fancier but as for it being useful? That may depend on your area. LA has a lot of people with a lot of cars and the system could be of great benefit but it relies on the authorities to send the data to Navtraffic and then for Navtraffic to send it to XM and then for XM to encrypt the data in the transmission. By the time that it has happened you will be knee deep in a 2 hour traffic jam.
I've run into the situations that you mentioned on occasion, but for the most part, in the Chicago area, it's been pretty accurate.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:22 PM
Cruisin'

Well I ordered it this morning as a result of the info I got from you guys.

DB22, where I drive is similiar but not as bad as LA(been there). You are probably one of the few who has it harder than me, good luck. You got a good car for it, which is why I got it

Used it on the way home, wasnt at all impressed for reasons stated above by DB. Sat in traffic, Nav showed it was clear. I will continue to play with it, but I'm thinking, it isnt the Holy Grail of Traffic Detection, as I had wished for.

Also does a color coding speed legend show up on nav screen as in Ry4an's example?? Or is there a way to bring it up?
Old 10-04-2006, 12:59 AM
Instructor

clarifications

Originally Posted by RICHVIZZ
Also does a color coding speed legend show up on nav screen as in Ry4an's example?? Or is there a way to bring it up?
Sorry for the confusion on that legend. That's only on our DOT website, which supplies the navitraffic data, but not on the RL's display. The manual does give the speed ranges that correspond to red, yellow, and green.

The traffic situation here doesn't lag and has been spot on in the month or so I've been using it religously, but we've got a much less complicated traffic situation here as compared to LA and NYC, and rediculously good sensor infrastructure for no reason I can figure out. I'd imagine the size of our available dataset is the reason we've got navitraffic and Dallas doesn't.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:35 PM
Intermediate

No Traffic Link or Acura Link connect

I have been unable to use either of these features so I called customer support,,,My BlueTooth Phone works fine; able to place and receive calls- however, I do not have "data function" on my Nokia Phone?,,,I asked for an example of what that "data" function is and no one is able to tell me,,,but, I was told not having that function on my phone prevents utilizing real time traffic reports (I live in a city which is listed for service), as well as not being able to connect to Acura Link!

When I tried to connecting with ALK,system identified the carrier, went thru 'easy process set up method', phone "bluetooth" would disconnect while trying to reach,,,then "reconnect" after telling me test connect had failed!

Any similar experiences?

Thanks.

SM
Old 10-19-2006, 06:50 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I did not have NavTraffic displaying either - had my dealer call XM to verify that Acura was paying first year subscription. After that all is well - now see traffic info. Plus the fact that XM tired billing me for NavTraffic, dealer took good care of me BUT this should have been done on delivery.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:34 AM
06 RL - Carbon Gray Pearl

NavTraffic

I'm starting to play with the Nav Traffic feature. Here's 1 question...

Whenever I start the car and turn on the Navi, the traffic information is NOT automatically on, right? In other words, I need to say a Display Traffic, etc. to get it going, right?

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2006, 08:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by FromTLtoRL
I'm starting to play with the Nav Traffic feature. Here's 1 question...

Whenever I start the car and turn on the Navi, the traffic information is NOT automatically on, right? In other words, I need to say a Display Traffic, etc. to get it going, right?

Thanks!
If you have selected the Traffic to be displayed in the options menu then it will be automatic but it will not display until it receives the next batch of data from XM. You can force it by asking it to display but if there is no data it will return "No data found within 30 miles". A zoom in and out of the display will wake it up after you have had an update - usually within 2 minutes but sometimes up to about 5.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:03 AM
06 RL - Carbon Gray Pearl

Originally Posted by db22
If you have selected the Traffic to be displayed in the options menu then it will be automatic but it will not display until it receives the next batch of data from XM. You can force it by asking it to display but if there is no data it will return "No data found within 30 miles". A zoom in and out of the display will wake it up after you have had an update - usually within 2 minutes but sometimes up to about 5.
Thanks db22!

When you say zoom in and out, you are referring to turning the "Interface knob" left or right, correct?