Loaded 4.62 RL software

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 02:50 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Loaded my udpated disk last night. Works fine. It seems to me that the vehicle indicator icon is more accurate. In the prior version, I was always a few yards past where the icon idicated that I was. If it showed my car at the beginning of an intersection, I was actually already through it. Route calculation time seems about the same to me.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
Sure, flex your mod muscles on us!!

Originally Posted by neuronbob
[mod hat on]
Just a Moderator note here:

Since this is a significant upgrade, I'll keep this thread here in the main forum for a while before I move it to the Electronics/navi forum.
[mod hat off]

I just ordered mine yesterday, too. I never use the guy voice anyway, so I won't miss it.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:52 PM
Proboscis-free zone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone noticed whether the update fixes any of the goofy little quirks in the original DVD? For example, every morning I go up the 710 freeway northbound and as I get ready to pass the 91, the Nav says "Stay on...91...West"--I'm sort of used to it, but that's still pretty weak.

If those little weird things are gone, I guess I'd be willing to plunk down a couple of C-notes.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:17 AM
'10 A5 & '07 TL

Originally Posted by sotiri
I just got mine on Ebay.
Should have it in a few days.
Yep...you outbid me when I wasn't looking!
Old 09-13-2007, 01:26 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Just removed the old disk, popped in the new one and the system immediately started loading the new software. Took about 5 minutes and it displayed a progress bar on the screen while it did it.

The guy voice is gone. Only female voice available.

There are now blue directional arrows on the road lines for one way streets and divided highways/streets. you have to turn this feature on from the "other" icons list.

Zagat database is updated to 2007

I can't be certain but the route calculation seems faster. I set a test route for a destination that was about 40 miles away. Calculated it in about 2 seconds.

I assume maps have been updated with the latest info available.

Not sure if there are any additional voice commands. I doubt it.

Everything else seems the same but I didn't look very hard.

Can you verify the database version/date. I am hoping Jun 07. Thanks.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:28 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nguyendminh
Can you verify the database version/date. I am hoping Jun 07. Thanks.
It's the latest version that was just released this month - v4.62. It's the one for sale on the website
Old 09-13-2007, 03:18 PM
Advanced

It's the latest version that was just released this month - v4.62. It's the one for sale on the website

Thanks for the quick repsonse. Yes I realize it is the latest version. What I am asking is the map databasae version. Version 4.56 has map data of Jun 2006. If version 4.62 has map data version jun 2007, then I am more incline to buying the NAV version 4.62. If for some reason version 4.62 still has map database version of 06 2007 then I'll pass. Alpine has done this in the past; they upgrade NAV version with updated software and tweaks, but kept the old map database.

To get to the map database version I think you info on the NAV.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:21 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by nguyendminh
Thanks for the quick repsonse. Yes I realize it is the latest version. What I am asking is the map databasae version. Version 4.56 has map data of Jun 2006. If version 4.62 has map data version jun 2007, then I am more incline to buying the NAV version 4.62. If for some reason version 4.62 still has map database version of 06 2007 then I'll pass. Alpine has done this in the past; they upgrade NAV version with updated software and tweaks, but kept the old map database.

To get to the map database version I think you info on the NAV.
OK, now I understand. It's the latest map database and zagat database dated June 07. Also, I've personally seen streets showing up on this new disk that weren't on my old 4.56
Old 09-13-2007, 06:15 PM
Pro

Anyone know if we can copy these, I know of a great computer guy that really knows his stuff and I might go to him at some point?
Old 09-13-2007, 10:17 PM
2010 CBP TL SH-AWD TECH

Angry Help! 4.62 Navi Update Disc won't load

I am a new member however I have been reading for almost two years since buying a 05 RL. I tried to update my navi to 4.62 today, but it just goes into an immediate reboot loop. The initial earth screen.. I hear the disc spin up and down each time it reboots. I don't even get the door is not closed message if the door isn't closed. The disc is spotless and I put the DVD in my computer and can see files. If I put the original disc back in 4.13B it loads just fine. My dealer says they've never heard of this before and says it must be a bad disc. I called the order line and they weren't much help other than to give me an 800 number to call (which is closed now). I have let it sit and reboot for up to 10 minutes and nothing changes. Am I missing something or do I have a bad disc. I can't find any postings where anyone else ever got a bad disc and the fact that I can read it on my computer makes me think its ok, however I realize it's probably the boot sector that is probably the problem. What is the little recessed button for on the drive? I tried pushing it and holding it in and nothing happened. It is back up on the old disc now but obviously I want to upgrade it and I don't want to go through the hassle of sending it back if it's not bad. This is obviously very frustrating. Any help is appreciated!
Old 09-14-2007, 03:45 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Had the same problem today - spoke with representative at Alpine Electronics who indicated they are getting numerous complaints but haven't determined the problem. They suggested I return disc for a full credit and wait at least one month to reorder so that "bugs" can be determined and eliminated!!
Old 09-14-2007, 04:56 PM
2010 CBP TL SH-AWD TECH

Question

Originally Posted by C-Lad
Had the same problem today - spoke with representative at Alpine Electronics who indicated they are getting numerous complaints but haven't determined the problem. They suggested I return disc for a full credit and wait at least one month to reorder so that "bugs" can be determined and eliminated!!
Sorry you are having the problem too, but it's good to know I'm not alone.... How did you contact Alpine?
Old 09-14-2007, 05:12 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MOAcuraRL
Sorry you are having the problem too, but it's good to know I'm not alone.... How did you contact Alpine?
Number should be on your order confirmation. I called 888-549-3798.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:55 PM
2nd Gear

I just picked up a brand-new, right off the boat 2008 RL with the nav package. However, curious about the whole nav system, I took a peek at the disk that came with the car. It says 4.56A. Should the car have come with the 4.62 disk? Did I get screwed here, or should I expect the dealership to cough up a 4.62 disk (seeing as though it's been out for a while, and my car is less than a week old...)
Old 09-14-2007, 06:00 PM
2010 CBP TL SH-AWD TECH

Number should be on your order confirmation. I called 888-549-3798.
Thanks, yeah I saw that number... I spoke with someone this morning that transferred me to a manager who come to find out was at Alpine. I called another Alpine 800 number and spoke with someone in order management who told me she was aware of the problem and that they had gotten an email this morning about it and she verified the guy I talked with was her manager. She put me on hold and came back and said they weren't sure how they were going to deal with it and took my name and number and said they should know something hopefully on Monday and they would call me back. I also left a message for the manager. She asked if I had an 05 which I do... Is your's an 05 RL? Seems like it may be specific to 05's. I forgot to mention the insert with the DVD that talked about clearing Avoid Areas if you were 4.13D or prior (Which I didn't have any) so apparently this version is picky about upgrading certain previous versions.. were you upgrading from 4.13? I hate to send it back if the fix is a separate update or having to do an interim upgrade first, having already paid an express shipping premium for this one.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:14 PM
9th Gear

Thank Heavens. I sat in our RL for 30 minutes tonight waiting for something to happen, other than the "globe" screen (nothing did, and I'd already done the "avoid areas" dance). Now at least I know it wasn't something I did wrong, I hope.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:24 PM
2010 CBP TL SH-AWD TECH

Originally Posted by JCareyB
Thank Heavens. I sat in our RL for 30 minutes tonight waiting for something to happen, other than the "globe" screen (nothing did, and I'd already done the "avoid areas" dance). Now at least I know it wasn't something I did wrong, I hope.
Yes.. I understand your frustration... thinking I had done something wrong... and looking at that splash screen... globe for forever... looks like at least three of us so far...
Old 09-14-2007, 06:57 PM
Advanced

Thanks, yeah I saw that number... I spoke with someone this morning that transferred me to a manager who come to find out was at Alpine. I called another Alpine 800 number and spoke with someone in order management who told me she was aware of the problem and that they had gotten an email this morning about it and she verified the guy I talked with was her manager. She put me on hold and came back and said they weren't sure how they were going to deal with it and took my name and number and said they should know something hopefully on Monday and they would call me back. I also left a message for the manager. She asked if I had an 05 which I do... Is your's an 05 RL? Seems like it may be specific to 05's. I forgot to mention the insert with the DVD that talked about clearing Avoid Areas if you were 4.13D or prior (Which I didn't have any) so apparently this version is picky about upgrading certain previous versions.. were you upgrading from 4.13? I hate to send it back if the fix is a separate update or having to do an interim upgrade first, having already paid an express shipping premium for this one.
Yes I have an '05 RL with version 4.13 and also saw the insert regarding clearing the Avoid Areas (I also did not have any).

If there is a problem with the files on the disc then a new disc will be required. I can't see what they can do with an interim upgrade which would make the 4.62 disc work properly. Will most likely require a totally new version. Unless there is some "quirk" in the info already in the current nav which requires clearing before the disc will download. (ie. in addition to the Avoid Areas)

Let us know what you hear from the call back on Monday (hopefully!).
Old 09-14-2007, 07:35 PM
Advanced

Just had another thought -- if the "Avoid Areas" list had a potential conflict and therefore required clearing, maybe a conflict is a result of the lists within the "Address Book", "Home Address" and/or "Previous Destinations". One or more of these may be the problem and it may be worthwhile to remove them before loading the 4.62 disc. They can then be reloaded after the new disc downloads.

I would try it but unfortunately I have already sent my disc back to Alpine.

If you try it, let me know the results.

You can gain access to these lists and delete them by going into the Setup, then "More" and then "Personal Information". Address Book, Home Address ad Previous Destinations" are each grouped separately.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Just another data point, FWIW.

I have an 06, with 4.33c. When I upgraded to 4.62, everything went great, loaded and seemed to work fine, just as Spicy Mikey described.

The next time I turned the car on, and everytime afterward, I went into in-line diagnostics mode. I finally got out of that mode with help on this board from 2007AcuraRL, but had hosed up the sensitivity of my microphone level.

I finally had to take it into the dealer, who said there was nothing wrong with it. They kept it overnight, tested again, nothing wrong with it. I was pissed off, went to the dealer to show them, but in fact, there was nothing wrong with it.

In fact, voice recognition seems to work better now. So who knows? Maybe they did some kind of reset, but the the thing works great now.

I think I was among the first batch of people to report getting the DVD, at least on this board and the RDX board, the DVD arriving at my house the same time Mikey's did, 9/6/07. The point of this being, mine is likely an early production batch.

I guess you could do a poll and find out who has had trouble and find out the year of the RL. It would give you some non scientific data good for speculation anyway!
Old 09-14-2007, 08:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Chas2
Just another data point, FWIW.

I have an 06, with 4.33c. When I upgraded to 4.62, everything went great, loaded and seemed to work fine, just as Spicy Mikey described.

The next time I turned the car on, and everytime afterward, I went into in-line diagnostics mode. I finally got out of that mode with help on this board from 2007AcuraRL, but had hosed up the sensitivity of my microphone level.

I finally had to take it into the dealer, who said there was nothing wrong with it. They kept it overnight, tested again, nothing wrong with it. I was pissed off, went to the dealer to show them, but in fact, there was nothing wrong with it.

In fact, voice recognition seems to work better now. So who knows? Maybe they did some kind of reset, but the the thing works great now.

I think I was among the first batch of people to report getting the DVD, at least on this board and the RDX board, the DVD arriving at my house the same time Mikey's did, 9/6/07. The point of this being, mine is likely an early production batch.

I guess you could do a poll and find out who has had trouble and find out the year of the RL. It would give you some non scientific data good for speculation anyway!
I had 4.31a in my 06 before the upgrade to 4.62. I got the inline diagnostic screen as well after the disc loaded and was able to cancel out of it using the directions posted here and got the system to reboot. When I took the car out the next morning, the Nav was showing the car in the wrong place and not tracking the route of the car correctly. I shut the car down , restarted, and got the same incorrect position. Thinking that I may have stopped the inline diagnostic too quickly, I went back to that screen, ran it again, and it's been fine ever since.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
That is funny, I could never get the in line diagnostic to do anything except seemingly hang. Maybe 10 minutes was not enough.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:58 AM
2010 CBP TL SH-AWD TECH

Just had another thought -- if the "Avoid Areas" list had a potential conflict and therefore required clearing, maybe a conflict is a result of the lists within the "Address Book", "Home Address" and/or "Previous Destinations". One or more of these may be the problem and it may be worthwhile to remove them before loading the 4.62 disc. They can then be reloaded after the new disc downloads.

I would try it but unfortunately I have already sent my disc back to Alpine.

If you try it, let me know the results.

You can gain access to these lists and delete them by going into the Setup, then "More" and then "Personal Information". Address Book, Home Address ad Previous Destinations" are each grouped separately.
Yes, I had the same thought and went in and cleared everything I could think of, Home Address, Prev Dest, Address Book, to try and take it back to a clean state. Didn't help, but I'm wondering is it a conflict that can be resolved by a setting or clearing one, or resetting something, or is it truly a bug in the code that requires the code to be fixed, which yes the latter would require them to update their code and press new discs... I guess I'm also thinking they might not require us to send back the 4.62 disc and just send us the new one (realizing our frustration and costs already) and therefore avoid the cost of returning this one on top of our original shipping fees. It might be they send out a special update disc / patch disc (that might even just be one of the interim releases) that we need to use before using 4.62. On the other hand I don't like having $200 tied up in a disc I can't use for weeks/months. If they don't have a direction or resolution in a few days I'm returning mine as well so as not to have that money tied up.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:13 AM
2010 CBP TL SH-AWD TECH

I'm also tempted to call Acura Client Services and make them aware of the problem if they aren't already... IMO Alpine needs to work with us here and have consideration for our troubles if they expect us to not to shy away from purchasing upgrades in the future. I've not dealt with Alpine before to know their level of concern for customer satisfaction or product quality. With the fact that the "Avoid Areas" notice was with the DVD says to me they must have done SOME testing with upgrading older versions (4.09 - 4.13D) but something obviously isn't right and it appears to be tied to upgrading the older versions.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:55 AM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
in terms of getting a DVD nav unit repaired....Alpine customer service was top notch
Old 09-15-2007, 10:02 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by larrynimmo
in terms of getting a DVD nav unit repaired....Alpine customer service was top notch

They should be responsive for equipment....it allows them to rope in people to become dependent on the poorly tested & faulty upgrade discs they are selling for rediculous prices. (Yes, just some sarcasm )

Maybe AZ can charge a Beta Test fee before they disribute future ill fated update discs? We get free discs and save them recall / redistribution costs?

Like 1st year model cars, and MicroSoft releases,,,,I'll wait for the dust to settle before my AMEX takes the hit.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:35 PM
Instructor

got mine (v4.62) today... loaded it... and similar to some other forum members, saw it go in an endless loop cycle.... time to call Alpine i guess....
Old 09-15-2007, 05:03 PM
9th Gear

Two different problems?

".....When I took the car out the next morning, the Nav was showing the car in the wrong place and not tracking the route of the car correctly. I shut the car down , restarted, and got the same incorrect position."

This has happened to me the past two days, but only on the old DVD, since I couldn't get the new one to do anything but "boot". It happened once on the old DVD. I tried to install the new DVD, and then went back to the old DVD, and it happened again.

After about 15-20 minutes, the screen re-orients correctly and works fine from there, but at the start it has me anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 mile off from the right position.

I think we may have two different problems here?
Old 09-16-2007, 03:58 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After about 15-20 minutes, the screen re-orients correctly and works fine from there, but at the start it has me anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 mile off from the right position.
I think it is in the Nav manual that after software update you have to drive a few minutes on any major road to let the Nav associate GPS signals with the new map.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:57 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Mine also showed me in the wrong position at first. After a few minutes driving it got itself straightened out.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:09 PM
Advanced

Did you receive any feedback from Alpine as "promised"?
Old 09-17-2007, 05:19 PM
2010 CBP TL SH-AWD TECH

Did you receive any feedback from Alpine as "promised"?
Unfortunately no, so I called them and they said that they didn't have any additional information yet and that I should return the disc. So I returned it. She said they should post something on the website once it has been "fixed" and they have released an updated disc.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:46 PM
Advanced

Unfortunately no, so I called them and they said that they didn't have any additional information yet and that I should return the disc. So I returned it. She said they should post something on the website once it has been "fixed" and they have released an updated disc.
What website is she referring too?
Old 09-17-2007, 06:16 PM
2010 CBP TL SH-AWD TECH

What website is she referring too?
The order site. I'm guessing it will list the problem as fixed in the details about what is new in the "forthcoming" release.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:24 PM
2010 CBP TL SH-AWD TECH

Interestingly, the order site now shows 4.62 on backorder again...
Old 09-17-2007, 07:43 PM
Go Big Blue!

I don't know why my disk upgraded without incident. What's the variable here that makes it work for some and not others? Is it the model year? I have an 07
Old 09-17-2007, 07:56 PM
2010 CBP TL SH-AWD TECH

I don't know why my disk upgraded without incident. What's the variable here that makes it work for some and not others? Is it the model year? I have an 07
I believe that is a factor... the common thing with the failures seems to be they are 05's or the fact that those also have as far as I know been at version 4.19.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:01 AM
9th Gear

Mine failed on an '05, but I was at 4.13b (and am now again )
Old 09-18-2007, 11:21 AM
9th Gear

I just got off the phone with Alpine, to make sure I had all my ducks lined up for a proper return before I sent the disk back.

The nice gal I spoke with, when I said I had a 4.62 disk that wasn't working on an '05 RL said she thought a different disk was meant for the '05s. She had me hold, and then came back and asked how I ordered the update (online, using the choices the web site offered). Again, she said I should have gotten a different disk, and they'd give me a full refund when I returned the one I received.

However, since they were in "transitioin" she advised waiting until mid-October until I tried to order the replacement.

Sounds like a significant "OOPS" is in order.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
I just got off the phone with Alpine, to make sure I had all my ducks lined up for a proper return before I sent the disk back.

The nice gal I spoke with, when I said I had a 4.62 disk that wasn't working on an '05 RL said she thought a different disk was meant for the '05s. She had me hold, and then came back and asked how I ordered the update (online, using the choices the web site offered). Again, she said I should have gotten a different disk, and they'd give me a full refund when I returned the one I received.

However, since they were in "transitioin" she advised waiting until mid-October until I tried to order the replacement.

Sounds like a significant "OOPS" is in order.
Interesting - last year I was able to upgrade from 4.13 to 4.55 in my old 05 RL with no problems. I wonder what it is about this update that is incompatible with the 05's? Looks like I unloaded my 05 just in time. Hope they get a fix for you guys.

Quick Reply: Loaded 4.62 RL software