Upgrade Nav vs using Google Maps on phone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 09:45 AM
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Upgrade Nav vs using Google Maps on phone?

Good Morning,
I'm pretty new here so first let me say "Hi" to everyone! We just acquired a 2005 RL and my wife drives it most of the time and I drive it on the weekend. I did set up the Bluetooth to use the phone which is tricky but haven't really used the Nav system at all because it seems to be easier to use my phone. That said I did go in and set up our home address but that is all I've really tried. My question is with my phone having some of the newest technology and it just so easy to just ask it for directions and it pops right up, is my Nav system really going to be worth upgrading? Again I haven't really spent much time with it and am not fully acquainted with it's full capacity but it's seems antiquated compared to my phone but I want to make sure get others feedback before I write it off.
Thanks!
Old 01-30-2019, 10:59 AM
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Likeke58
Good Morning,
I'm pretty new here so first let me say "Hi" to everyone! We just acquired a 2005 RL and my wife drives it most of the time and I drive it on the weekend. I did set up the Bluetooth to use the phone which is tricky but haven't really used the Nav system at all because it seems to be easier to use my phone. That said I did go in and set up our home address but that is all I've really tried. My question is with my phone having some of the newest technology and it just so easy to just ask it for directions and it pops right up, is my Nav system really going to be worth upgrading? Again I haven't really spent much time with it and am not fully acquainted with it's full capacity but it's seems antiquated compared to my phone but I want to make sure get others feedback before I write it off.
Thanks!
You will find that there isn't a lot of information out there about aftermarket integration into these cars. I have an 05RL also and I have done a lot of digging on the best way to achieve this and haven't yielded a lot of results yet.
The following users liked this post:
Likeke58 (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 12:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
Google Maps = Free
upgrade nav = $$

Free > $$

The following 2 users liked this post by thoiboi:
HEAVY_RL (02-06-2019), projektvertx (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 08:09 AM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
@Carbon Legend @fuzzysig are the only two people I know who have attempted anything like this.