Change DVD-A Groups on RL?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 06:53 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Change DVD-A Groups on RL?

i know that you hold scan and repeat on a TL to switch groups... does anyone know how to do this on an RL? i ripped a mean 5.1 DVD-A of a U2 concert that is insane on my TL, but i don't know how to get it to work on my friend's RL (as the concert is on the 2nd group).

thanks in advance..
Old 06-14-2007, 07:56 PM
05 slate grey e500 AMG sp

This question has been asked previously & as far as I know no one has figured out the answer. I would love to get the answer.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:06 PM
6th Gear

I just burned a full DVD of CD wav transcriptions in two groups using Cirlinca DVD Audio Solo without upsampling. The disc contained a little over 100 songs in 2 groups of approximately 50 each. DVD Solo limited the total transfer to about 4.2 Gb rather than anything close to 4.7 Gb.

I couldn't get the TL group switching trick to work using any combination of radio buttons or buttons and screen selections on an 07 RL. Further, there is no "repeat" switch to use in combination with the scan button.

After a lot of forum reading, this was a big disappointment. So, I'm trying a simpler solution.

DVD Audio Solo allows you to group your songs in any order you wish and will record the music on the disc in the order that you assign them. My solution to the problem will be to record approximately 6-8 CD's in Artist/Album order. I'll record all of these songs into one group with the stated maximum of 99 songs. Track switching is fast from the steering wheel and offers some measure of control over the musical program. Alternatively, if I choose to listen to a variety of music, I'll select the "Random" play feature from the audio display selector that I verified to be operational.

This strategy will yield almost 600 CD quality recordings versus about 900 recordings on 6 CD's using MP3 / WMA with good recording settings. BTW, the original CD music crushes my MP3 and WMA recordings in a back to back comparison with the same artist.

Version 1.3 of DVD Solo burned the disc with 2 reported errors with a direct write to disc; but the disc is playing fine. Subsequent tries will be with an image file so as to burn multiple copies and make the disc writes faster. The software proved easy to use.

My first try on a DVD+R RW did not work at all and the RL player just spat it out. I found that the manual states that DVD-ReWritable disc are not compatible. I purchased 100 Verbatim DVD-R disc today for $23 and the first burn was successful.

I'm also going to try this strategy with Nero since I'll copy and paste from standard Microsoft folders set up per Artist / Album.

Even with these workarounds, I would also like to have the group switching feature if anyone can solve the problem.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:27 PM
6th Gear

My project continues with an ISO 9660 file being created from DVD Audio Solo for 8 CD's and 93 songs creating a 4.26Gb file on the computer. The disc that was created from the ISO file was reported to be 4.06 Gb with an empty VIDEO_TS folder, an AUDIO_TS folder of 4.06 Gb, and a DATA folder containing an ALBUM.TXT file with all of the artist, album, title, and track data. In addition, there is a PROJECT.DAP file that appears to be proprietary to Cirlinca DVD Audio Solo.

All of the songs play great with terrific sound that seem to mimic surround effects. The only downside of the project, so far, is that the song title and artist information do not display while my CD based mp3 and WMA files do display this information. This result is the same as the Acura/Bose demonstration 5.1 disc.

I hope some of this information is of help to beginners as I was a few days ago.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:32 PM
6th Gear

Cirlinca 96kHz & 24 Bit Recordings

Cirlinca DVD Audio Solo and I are now good friends. I've made several 96 kHz & 24 bit upsampling discs from my CD collection. I have been able to capture 28 to 30 songs per disc and the music is terrific with a fullness and richness that surpasses the original recordings. I have made these disc from my favorite artist collection and have now removed all my mp3 / wma discs having a preference for the greater musicality of the higher resolution disc that I have made for myself.

My sound quality compares well to a new commercial Diana Krall 5.1 DVD-A.

I also have found that XM delivers all the pop tunes that I had on mp3 / wma with even more variety. Those tunes will do well enough on the bike.

I'll probably finish up with a total of 12 to 18 discs with a mix of 28 to 30 songs on high resolution discs and normal 44.1 kHz & 16 bit CD transcriptions that produce 85 to 90 songs per disc.

My PC is a Dell 9100 with a Creative Audigy 2ZS SoundCard. I have a Plextor PX-716A as a burn drive and I'm using Verbatim DVD-R discs, I haven't burned a single coaster! My next project will be vinyl to DVD-A transcriptions.

If you haven't tried it, I advise popping for this low cost software and rolling out a few discs of your own.