Burning DVD-A

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 09:10 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burning DVD-A

In light of the dead DVD-A format, I decided to post the process I use to create DVD-As from 5.1 DVD video, in case others wanted to give it a shot. Also, if anyone has a better approach, please reply. This is by no means the best way to do this, but it works for me.
A few notes. I tried to do this with shareware, but I couldn’t get it to work out. So, you need to acquire the software listed below. Also, I realize that this will not get the exact same quality as a DVD-A, since the audio stream you get from a VIDEO_TS is the same quality what you will get from AUDIO_TS. However, I think it sounds pretty good, and it supports 5.1. Of course, you can use the trial versions of the software before purchasing.
I use DVD Audio Extractor to pull the 5.1 or DTS stream from a 5.1 video DVD. It’s about $30 and works pretty well. http://www.castudio.org/dvdaudioextractor/
To create the DVD-A’s, I use HD Audio Solo Ultra. http://www.cirlinca.com/products.htm I actually purchased DVD-Audio Solo, but when the key didn’t work for the upgraded software, they kindly sent me a new key for the HD version. DVD-Audio solo works fine, and is about $45.
From here, the process is pretty simple. Grab your favorite video DVD with 5.1 or DTS sound and use the extractor software to pull out the 5.1 tracks. You might want to experiment with the normalization to boost the sound, but be sure to avoid clipping. My first few attempts resulted in good sound, but you had to turn up the volume quite a bit. You can also use Audacity (freeware) to adjust the different channels if you would like, but that could take away from the original recording.
Next, use DVD-Audio Solo to create the DVDs. Make sure you select “Optimize for gapless inter-track”, to remove annoying gaps between songs. Works much better for concert audio. From here you can burn directly to DVD, or you can create an .iso file for future use, and burn the .iso image using other software.
DVD-Audio solo supports many source types, so if you happen to have other 5.1 content, you can use this software to convert them to DVD-As.
Hope this helps. Again, if anyone has any other hints or tips, please let us know.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:28 AM
5th Gear

so in order to create 5.1 audio, i have to have a dvd video that has 5.1 or DTS?? Im hella confused lol Is there any easy way that i can convert my mp3 to 5.1 surround track?
Old 09-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Instructor

cool it is by far the easiest way i have ever seen. thanks a lot
Old 09-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
is the sound so good that it's worth that PITA hassle?

why not just use your IPOD and then put it in 5.1 mode? wouldn't it sound as good or is the sound quality TONS better if it's a DVD-A????

i kno wmy stereos will do DVD-A but have honestly never had a DVD-A to listen to..except for the stupid demo disc Acura gave me... is it really so great for music?
Old 09-03-2009, 10:38 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 23109VC
is the sound so good that it's worth that PITA hassle?

why not just use your IPOD and then put it in 5.1 mode? wouldn't it sound as good or is the sound quality TONS better if it's a DVD-A????

i kno wmy stereos will do DVD-A but have honestly never had a DVD-A to listen to..except for the stupid demo disc Acura gave me... is it really so great for music?
I think the sound is better than standard stereo, but not as good as some of the DVD-As out there. To me, it was worth buying the Cirlinca software to increase the 5.1 library.

Not sure how you will get 5.1 from an ipod, though. If the connection to your stereo (music link, or the USA Spec to XM) do not support 5.1, I don't think you'll get 5.1, right?

As far as the DVD-A goes, I have only 1 original, Supernatural from Santana, and it is awesome. However, in my attempt to copy the Doors (watermarked), I got a taste of about 15 seconds of music, and it was great as well. Other's have noted very good DVD-As, and others that were probably not worth the price.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by s82a84
so in order to create 5.1 audio, i have to have a dvd video that has 5.1 or DTS?? Im hella confused lol Is there any easy way that i can convert my mp3 to 5.1 surround track?
That is what the Cirlinca plug in is SUPPOSE to do, but again, not sure those plug-ins work that well. If I can get something in 5.1 source (ie, get it from a concert DVD or the like) then I use that. Otherwise, I simply burn them as MP3 discs. If I get a few minutes this weekend, I'll try the plug-in to see how well it works. I'll check the resulting file using Sony Vegas.