Burn a DVD for your RL?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 10:20 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Burn a DVD for your RL?

Has ANYONE been able to burn a DVD (either DVD-Audio or with mp3's) and gotten your RL to read it? The TL forums have people doing this all the time. Are the RL radios the same? Both TL and RL plays DVD-audio and DTS and mp3's, but the RL seems to have slammed the door on customers doing much of anything with its system. Very frustrating, considering how bad the IPod music link is (navigation of the ipod via music link is simply horrible so I have given up on it).

I have tried burning custom DVD-Audio with DVD-r, DVD-rw, DVD+r, DVD+rw, and even forcing booktype to DVD-rom all to no avail.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:41 PM
JDM FREAK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I only play MP3 in my 05 RL, and it reads it perfectly.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:51 AM
Intermediate

burning dvd audio

Originally Posted by starmanj
Has ANYONE been able to burn a DVD (either DVD-Audio or with mp3's) and gotten your RL to read it? The TL forums have people doing this all the time. Are the RL radios the same? Both TL and RL plays DVD-audio and DTS and mp3's, but the RL seems to have slammed the door on customers doing much of anything with its system. Very frustrating, considering how bad the IPod music link is (navigation of the ipod via music link is simply horrible so I have given up on it).

I have tried burning custom DVD-Audio with DVD-r, DVD-rw, DVD+r, DVD+rw, and even forcing booktype to DVD-rom all to no avail.
I am not sure how you tried to burn dvd audio. On dvd audio discs there is a dvd layer that is not high resolution sound but normal dolby digital. This was what you must have copied. The audio system will not play dolby digital dvd discs.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:09 PM
Intermediate

Thanks but my question was, has anyone been able to burn and play ANY kind of DVD? If yes, then what kind and how? I"ve tried it all, including mastering genuine DVD-Audio and it doesn't work.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:14 PM
Advanced

The DVD-A disks that I've burned only seem to play the first couple of tracks on the disk. I kind of gave up testing and haven't put too much time into it since then. I'd love to know if anyone else finds a resolution. . .
Old 08-25-2006, 08:20 PM
Intermediate

Thanks RL-Cruizin--
I am willing to put a herculean efforts into it, but if you tell me exactly what you did to get that far. What type disc, DVD-r/rw, or DVD+r/rw? What software?
Old 08-26-2006, 12:08 AM
1st Gear

Burned Dvd's And The Acura Rl

The guys at http://store.acousticsounds.com/ and also the guys at the source where you can get your free DVD-A when you bought your RL say the Panasonic head in the RL will NOT play back a recored DVR of any kind.

I have tried it all. When we first got the RL last December from Ball Acura, the very first thing after hearing 5.1 was to install 5.1 in my 04 Ford F150.

I use a Blaupunkt head, kenwood sub, clairon center channel, well any way, I was burning copies of my the DVD-A's that I bought for the RL through the above sources and played them with the Blaupunkt without any problems at all.

From that setup I spent 2 weeks burning every brand of DVD and at every speed until the guys at acousticsounds told me the electronics are NOT present in the Panasonic head to play back a recorded DVD. What a bummer. Sure burnt a lot of DVD's trying to make the RL play one of them. The RL will not even play WMA.

As far as the TL goes, has anyone ACTUALLY been IN a TL and heard a DVD-A copy play in the TL head? If that comes to be true, then Honda is more screwed up than I thought.

I have a 06 Accord EX no navi coupe and went and got real stupid and installed the WMA/MP3 Honda Accessory it it to find that the player will not shuffle the entire mp3 or wma disk. It will not even show the cd text on the display.

I got so pissed about the hole thing and installed a OMNIFI DMP1 in the coupe with the hard drive in the trunk. This is a very very nice setup.

I am going to get another DMP1 and install that in the RL .

I hope some or all of this helps. I know this is a RL site but wanted to explain the entire story.

Honda and their audio systems has always fallen short each and every time. They can get some of the parts in outstanding order, then stand on their head and look real stupid and fall short of a complete system. It would have cost them virtually nothing to put a head in the RL that can read recored DVD media. At least the MP3 disk shuffles the entire disk if you want.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:44 PM
Intermediate

I was floored when I got my RL, to discover there was not even a cassette for an audio adapter. No way to play MP3's other than the AWFUL IPOD music link (and they charged me $500 for that piece of junk!)

Playing MP3's via burned CD's is a step in the right direction at least. I think this is my last RL (I have purchased 4 now) though. It's a shame, I could put 4.7 gigs of MP3's on a DVD if they allowed it!
Old 08-27-2006, 11:24 AM
Former Pedestrian

Thanks but my question was, has anyone been able to burn and play ANY kind of DVD? If yes, then what kind and how? I"ve tried it all, including mastering genuine DVD-Audio and it doesn't work.
Have any of you tried Wavelab software yet? Long ago, I had added these posts to my favorites: From the RL Forum and the TL Forum.

Since this new discussion/problem came up, I decided to try out the Wavelab tutorial from the TL Forum ... But used some added info from the RL Forum. In making my DVD-A (on a DVD+R disc), I did not convert my MP3's to WAV format first ... I let Wavelab do the job for me. Also, I used the 24 bit mode instead of the 16 bit suggested in the tutorial.

Since this was just an experiment, I only used 19 MP3's I had in a folder (ASP indicated in his post that you can include 75+ tracks on your DVD). The results are just as indicated ... No problem with my 2005 RL reading the DVD-A format and sound quality was excellent.

Hope this helpz,
Old 08-27-2006, 07:48 PM
Instructor

starmanj, you appear to have been overcharged for your iPod adapter. Mine, installed in the lower central console, was just half your price. And I love mine—could not do without it in fact. (But I do set up my various playlists in advance so I have lists for any type of driving, around town, highway junkets, etc.)
Old 08-28-2006, 08:32 AM
Intermediate

Wow 427- that's amazing. I have an 06 RL- wonder if they further limited ability to play burned DVD's? I have Wavelab so I'll give it a shot!!

DCRL, $500 is what Acura of Boston charges for its IPOD adapter, They claim that is retail price, including installation. Argghh.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:56 AM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Acura of Boston.. haha, havent heard that dealerships name in a loong time. Bought my 1998 Type-R from them and they tried charging me a 'market adjustment fee'.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:35 AM
Former Pedestrian

Wow 427- that's amazing. I have an 06 RL- wonder if they further limited ability to play burned DVD's? I have Wavelab so I'll give it a shot!!
Please let us know your resultz ...
Old 09-04-2006, 12:55 PM
Intermediate

After getting ready to burn everything, I have decided the payoff is too little for such a great hassle. Only 99 songs per DVD (vs. thousands if it was in native mp3)--

Instead I am playing DTS CD's. It is fantastic sounding, true surround music, no protection junk like on DVD-A's, and very quick and easy to burn your own custom mixes on cheap CD's. The only problem is my car is now full of >100 surround-sound CD's. If those bozos at Acura had their head on right, they would have allowed MP3's to be played on burned DVD's, and displayed folder/artist info etc. on the display. As it is, the serious MP3 collector might pass on the Acuras altogether for their more tech-savvy luxury car competitors (or at least allow us to install our own head unit easily).
Old 09-04-2006, 08:07 PM
Advanced

Burning DVD's

I have had luck ripping 5.1 waves from concert dvd's & burning in dvda format using dvd audio extractor & dvd-audio solo. As some on the TL bd have described. I am using Sony DVD-R blanks.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SSItls
I have had luck ripping 5.1 waves from concert dvd's & burning in dvda format using dvd audio extractor & dvd-audio solo. As some on the TL bd have described. I am using Sony DVD-R blanks.
Wavelab is the software you need, it is the best, do "isohunt" and you will be all set. Otherwise the software will run you couple of $100's. I use Wavelab all the time, and have about 80 DVD-A's done this way.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:41 PM
Intermediate

Just curious-- as long as you encode your own DVD-A's from scratch, why not just use DTS CD's? There's a lot of already made DTS CD's you can burn without using anything but Nero. That's what I'm doing now-- I have a ton of surround music from either original DTS sources, or others have ripped from Quadrophonic or 5.1 sources.