Boston NavTraffic--XM Giveth, XM taketh away

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 09:16 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston NavTraffic--XM Giveth, XM taketh away

Has anyone else in Boston noticed a change the the XM NavTraffic flow data?

There seems to be additional data on I95 just west of I93 (about 5 miles up to just east of the Jordan's IMAX building in Reading).

And there seems to be a loss of 9 miles of data on I93 from I495 on south to I95.

It bugs me to no end that Google and Yahoo have much better coverage using the same data sources. At least my iPhone lets me see that, but that is a device that is not safe to use while driving, and it doesn't update. It really makes me appreciate the NAV system in the car. Now if only the data feed were up to the task!
Old 12-12-2007, 10:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
While I am not from Boston, I have noticed the same thing, that the NAVTEQ derived maps from Google show traffic flow throughout major highways in the DC area, yet the RL does not. The other day, I got five minutes of traffic flow info in an area along the Dulles Toll Road that never has any info on it, but where traffic flow always shows up in Google maps. Then just as mysteriously, it disappeared never to be seen again. Not that it mattered that day, the first snow in DC, the traffic was backed up for 20 miles on the toll road going east. Everything was red.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by woof
Has anyone else in Boston noticed a change the the XM NavTraffic flow data?

There seems to be additional data on I95 just west of I93 (about 5 miles up to just east of the Jordan's IMAX building in Reading).

And there seems to be a loss of 9 miles of data on I93 from I495 on south to I95.

It bugs me to no end that Google and Yahoo have much better coverage using the same data sources. At least my iPhone lets me see that, but that is a device that is not safe to use while driving, and it doesn't update. It really makes me appreciate the NAV system in the car. Now if only the data feed were up to the task!
I've seen some weird stuff recently as well. Flow data disappearing for stretches of the Pike extension between Weston and Boston then reappearing, and also flow data suddenly being available between Natick and Weston on the eastbound side of the Pike, but not the westbound side, and not consistently. The system is great in concept but the implementation is definitely lacking. It's disappointing. I wonder if the Infiniti owners with NavTraffic are experiencing similar issues or if it's an Acura thing.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
I have posted many times regarding the inadequacies of the NavTraffic compared to other sources but when we use the RL we are in the traffic we are looking for, when we check Google or the TV, I have no way of proving them wrong because I am in the living room. Has anybody checked the NavTraffic and the phone at the same time to determine if, in fact, that Google has more correct information?