Any way to mod Nav into base RL?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007 | 02:26 PM
2nd Gear

Any way to mod Nav into base RL?

Talking with the dealer sales people, they said you need the rom drive, a GPS antenna and a different screen(better resolution)....and a signature disc to the specific VIN number....in the back of my mind Im thinking yeah right.....After close examination of the car...it does have a DVD-Rom drive(upper left in the trunk)...when you eject the disc it says its the Compass CD....and for those who have non nav, havent you noticed it gets its Latitude and Longitude from a GPS signal, hence it must have a antenna as well...as for the screen being different...I highly doubt that because you can have the rear camera as an option for the Base RL, besides that why would acura create two different screens....that just doesnt make sense from a business cost stand point...So what i am getting at is what happens if you take a Nav disc from and RL with Nav and insert it into a non NAV RL? Has anyone tried this....it sounds so simple i want to try it out but because RLs are so rare, i cant find another RL......ANY HELP.....??
Old 04-24-2007 | 04:56 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Someone started a thread here a while ago asking the same question. He was going to buy a Nav disk off of E-bay and insert it. Never heard from him, despite a few of us asking about it. My guess is that it didn't work.

If you can find the thread you might want to PM about it.

The first difference is that the Base RL has a "Compass" button on the center stack. On Tech models, that is the Map/Guide button. My guess is that there is firmware or flash upgrades needed along with the navigation disk.
Old 04-24-2007 | 08:31 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by GoHawks
Someone started a thread here a while ago asking the same question. He was going to buy a Nav disk off of E-bay and insert it. Never heard from him, despite a few of us asking about it. My guess is that it didn't work.

If you can find the thread you might want to PM about it.

The first difference is that the Base RL has a "Compass" button on the center stack. On Tech models, that is the Map/Guide button. My guess is that there is firmware or flash upgrades needed along with the navigation disk.

the button is in the same place....
Old 04-24-2007 | 08:50 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Originally Posted by SiShane
the button is in the same place....
Isn't that what I said? Instead of the Map/guide button, you have the compass button.
Old 05-23-2007 | 07:51 PM
10th Gear

i've tried it, does not read the disc. I work at a dealership in sales, and it all looks like the same shiz to me, so i took a working nav disc and tried, doesnt read it, im sure if you could load some kinda something you could probably trick it into working.