Acuralink, Time to beat a dead horse

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 11:21 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found something that works

Guys I have read through all your post. Thanks for all your input. I have found an app that works for the Android devices. It's called BlueDUN. The app emulates a modem on your phone. Until using this I could not get Acuralink to connect to the home servers. With BlueDun it worked like a champ. Check it out.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...JsdWVkdW4iXQ..
Old 09-01-2012, 07:00 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
It works... I had tried this app before as posted and it was spotty but he must have updated the app as it finally works perfect....... been working for a week now
Old 10-05-2012, 07:30 AM
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ty

Damn right! Thank you for the explanation
Originally Posted by HEAVY_RL
Damn it.

First off lets not get AcuraLink confused with HFL...

Acura link needs a lot of specific things to work.
1. tethering must be enabled with your carrier, this is NOT a data plan but the ability to connect a computer to your phone. In this case via bluetooth (see the next point)
2. Your phone/carrier needs to be on list
--- For iPhones specifically, you cannot do this with out being jail broken and installing an app to allow bluetooth networking/sharing (http://www.if0rce.com/en/ibluever/) this may also be true for other phones
3. Phone calls, texts, email, possibly streaming music will all interrupt the data feed

This is a useless feature to me, I appreciate the HFL and all the other things tied to it (HFL, Navigation System, GPS, Solar Sensing Auto Climate Control, XM Satellite connectivity, Driver Customizable keyless system) but the datalink/acuralink feature is not worth the hassle.
The following users liked this post:
HEAVY_RL (10-05-2012)
Old 10-05-2012, 08:52 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
In the nearly 7 years I have owned my RL I have had DataLink established. I think it worked once with a fuel cap / check engine warning...but cannot be certain if the reset was via AcuraLink.

With the next generation of cloud based AcuraLink to be launched with the RLX (HondaLink just launched with the new Accord), I expect the support for DataLink will be discontinued. For that matter, they may have already, and how would we really know?

Old 10-05-2012, 12:42 PM
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
In the nearly 7 years I have owned my RL I have had DataLink established. I think it worked once with a fuel cap / check engine warning...but cannot be certain if the reset was via AcuraLink.

With the next generation of cloud based AcuraLink to be launched with the RLX (HondaLink just launched with the new Accord), I expect the support for DataLink will be discontinued. For that matter, they may have already, and how would we really know?

They will probably keep suppourting the legacy system by just integrating it into the "cloud" system.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:58 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by Matt W
They will probably keep suppourting the legacy system by just integrating it into the "cloud" system.
The current system is via XM satellite communication.

The cloud based system will be via a cellular based service (similar to ONSTAR, Hyundai's BlueLink, etc.)

There will be no means for our current systems to access the cellular system. Any phone apps or web interfaces will be pointing to the cellular based communications.

There will be no means to integrate these systems (nor would I imagine Acura investing to retrofit our legacy configuration).

On the positive side, the new AcuraLink system based on cellular communications will be much more reliable than XM satellite and offer an array of services we currently do not have. Vehicle reports / health checks, emergency contacts, concierge services, personal file storage, access to web services, etc, etc. will all leapfrog the XM satellite based telematics. Even those of us with ONSTAR equipped RLs have limited ONSTAR services.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:07 PM
Pro

The current system is via XM satellite communication.

The cloud based system will be via a cellular based service (similar to ONSTAR, Hyundai's BlueLink, etc.)

There will be no means for our current systems to access the cellular system. Any phone apps or web interfaces will be pointing to the cellular based communications.

There will be no means to integrate these systems (nor would I imagine Acura investing to retrofit our legacy configuration).

On the positive side, the new AcuraLink system based on cellular communications will be much more reliable than XM satellite and offer an array of services we currently do not have. Vehicle reports / health checks, emergency contacts, concierge services, personal file storage, access to web services, etc, etc. will all leapfrog the XM satellite based telematics. Even those of us with ONSTAR equipped RLs have limited ONSTAR services.
I was talking about the backend (server side). I wouldn't even be surprised if the new system's back end was designed off of the old system. I doubt Acura would give up the opportunity to give us a call telling us to come in for service when datalink or whatever is telling them something is wrong with our car. I am not saying there would be anyway to provide us with the new services, I'm just saying that I doubt they will drop support for AcuraLink on the old system. (Because all of the services that are provided on the old system are on the new system just different form of communication, the information is just getting their a different way). But what do I know my job is just in network systems design.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:31 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by Matt W
I was talking about the backend (server side). I wouldn't even be surprised if the new system's back end was designed off of the old system. I doubt Acura would give up the opportunity to give us a call telling us to come in for service when datalink or whatever is telling them something is wrong with our car. I am not saying there would be anyway to provide us with the new services, I'm just saying that I doubt they will drop support for AcuraLink on the old system. (Because all of the services that are provided on the old system are on the new system just different form of communication, the information is just getting their a different way). But what do I know my job is just in network systems design.
Acura does not need DataLink to send maintenance reminders to the car.
Acura does not need DataLink to contact the car for recalls.
Acura does not need DataLink to receive a severe trouble code.
Acura does not need a valid XM subscription to do any of the above.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:59 PM
Pro

Acura does not need DataLink to send maintenance reminders to the car.
Acura does not need DataLink to contact the car for recalls.
Acura does not need DataLink to receive a severe trouble code.
Acura does not need a valid XM subscription to do any of the above.
Okay, so it should be even easier for them then.

Also I said that datalink is needed for the CAR to contact the dealer to report problems, which I believe is true.

Anyways, I guess only time will tell.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:29 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Acura does not need Datalink to receive a severe trouble code.