Acuralink, Time to beat a dead horse

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 10:26 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Acuralink, Time to beat a dead horse

HOPEFULLY my new nav cd will update something and it will work, but if not here we go LOL

I have Verizon
Tried with multiple phones
Also tried different carriers
Wifi hotspot enabled, disabled, PDANet, Blutooth DUN, etc....

CANNOT get the damn acuralink to work
HFL works 100%

I read, and read, and read, and cannot figure it out....

Old 05-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrm143
HOPEFULLY my new nav cd will update something and it will work, but if not here we go LOL

I have Verizon

HFL works 100%

PS..... I have the pre DST patched software now, 2006 version
Old 05-08-2012, 10:32 AM
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I have Verizon

HFL works 100%

I agree. I have had the same lack of luck. I have a question that is a little off topic. With the nav update you have coming, will it also update the restaurant, store, etc. database, or does it just update roads, etc.?
Old 05-08-2012, 10:34 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hogan9166
I agree. I have had the same lack of luck. I have a question that is a little off topic. With the nav update you have coming, will it also update the restaurant, store, etc. database, or does it just update roads, etc.?
I beleive it updates everything, in my case 6 years of updates, and hopefully the system software update will fix acuralink
Old 05-08-2012, 10:36 AM
Pro

I beleive it updates everything, in my case 6 years of updates, and hopefully the system software update will fix acuralink
Thanks. I just got an email for a discounted offer and thought I would take advantage of it.

How do you tell how old your current version is?
Old 05-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Instructor

Thanks. I just got an email for a discounted offer and thought I would take advantage of it.

How do you tell how old your current version is?
Take out the DVD in the trunk, and it is on that
Old 05-08-2012, 10:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 843 Posts
Old 05-08-2012, 10:46 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by HEAVY_RL
LMFAO, I know YOU could get it to work
The following users liked this post:
HEAVY_RL (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Pro

Take out the DVD in the trunk, and it is on that
I have an '09 TL SH-AWD...don't have anything in the trunk.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:19 AM
Instructor

Not sure, maybe the glove box?
Old 05-08-2012, 11:20 AM
Suzuka Master

The confusion may be that you are talking to 2G RL owners who have DVD players in the trunk.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:39 AM
Suzuka Master

LMFAO, I know YOU could get it to work
Damn it.

First off lets not get AcuraLink confused with HFL...

Acura link needs a lot of specific things to work.
1. tethering must be enabled with your carrier, this is NOT a data plan but the ability to connect a computer to your phone. In this case via bluetooth (see the next point)
2. Your phone/carrier needs to be on list
--- For iPhones specifically, you cannot do this with out being jail broken and installing an app to allow bluetooth networking/sharing (http://www.if0rce.com/en/ibluever/) this may also be true for other phones
3. Phone calls, texts, email, possibly streaming music will all interrupt the data feed

This is a useless feature to me, I appreciate the HFL and all the other things tied to it (HFL, Navigation System, GPS, Solar Sensing Auto Climate Control, XM Satellite connectivity, Driver Customizable keyless system) but the datalink/acuralink feature is not worth the hassle.

Last edited by HEAVY_RL; 05-08-2012 at 11:41 AM.
mrm143 (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 11:41 AM
Instructor

Damn it.

First off lets not get AcuraLink confused with HFL...

Acura link needs a lot of specific things to work.
1. tethering/hotspot/etc, this is NOT a data plan but the ability to connect a computer to your phone.
2. For iPhones, you cannot do this with out being jail broken and installing an app to allow bluetooth networking/sharing (http://www.if0rce.com/en/ibluever/) this may also be true for other phones
3. Your phone/carrier needs to be on list
4. Phone calls, texts, email, possibly streaming music will all interrupt the data feed

This is a useless feature to me, I appreciate the HFL and all the other things tied to it (HFL, Navigation System, GPS, Solar Sensing Auto Climate Control, XM Satellite connectivity, Driver Customizable keyless system) but the datalink/acuralink feature is not worth the hassle.
Well, it is a non iphone, so that rules that out
HFL Works fine
Tethering was enabled via verizon for me to test it out, didnt work
Cant figure out what else to do LOL

For testing purposes, would a jailbroken Ipod touch, with internet access work, or does it need to use the actual modem feature of the phone... I own a pawn shop, so i can test it with a touch
Old 05-08-2012, 11:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Well, it is a non iphone, so that rules that out
HFL Works fine
Tethering was enabled via verizon for me to test it out, didnt work
Cant figure out what else to do LOL

For testing purposes, would a jailbroken Ipod touch, with internet access work, or does it need to use the actual modem feature of the phone... I own a pawn shop, so i can test it with a touch
Can you tether via bluetooth? thats usually the stinger.

The ipod cannot tether via bluetooth. If the Nav system could connect to a mobile hotspot we would be golden but its all bluetooth based.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:48 AM
Instructor

Can you tether via bluetooth? thats usually the stinger.

The ipod cannot tether via bluetooth. If the Nav system could connect to a mobile hotspot we would be golden but its all bluetooth based.
Phone should be able to, I am trying an iphone now but I have a droid bionic, which is on the ist requiring tethering which i did try and no good
Looking for app for iphone now
Old 05-08-2012, 11:52 AM
Suzuka Master

I only have an iPhone and supposedly the app I linked to works.
Unfortunately I don't have any personal experience but logic tells me that a phone which produces a wifi hotspot cannot tether via bluetooth with out a modification/app.

Remember, PAIRING is not TETHERING.
Pairing is the phone connecting with a device to transfer audio/video
Tethering is a method of allowing the share of network connectivity through the device
(yes I know those are not technical definitions put the pitch forks away)
Old 05-08-2012, 11:53 AM
Instructor

I only have an iPhone and supposedly the app I linked to works.
Unfortunately I don't have any personal experience but logic tells me that a phone which produces a wifi hotspot cannot tether via bluetooth with out a modification/app.

Remember, PAIRING is not TETHERING.
Pairing is the phone connecting with a device to transfer audio/video
Tethering is a method of allowing the share of network connectivity through the device
(yes I know those are not technical definitions put the pitch forks away)
Correct, pairing does work
downloading iblu now on an iphone i have laying around... will get back with results

My phone IS on the list, but does state requires mobil hotspot package, which was tried
Old 05-08-2012, 11:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Good luck with the app.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:58 AM
Instructor

Good luck with the app.
App installed, standby
Old 05-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Standing by. Still have my
Old 05-08-2012, 02:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
To find out the nav version, hit the "info" button and piddle around in that menu. It will show up eventually.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Look who decided to join us.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:29 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
To clarify for non - techies, tethering is what used to be called "phone as modem" and currently every US carrier has a separate charge for that. While "tether," "fixmo" and "PDAnet" are all programs that will allow you to tether your phone to a computer (and use your phone as a modem,) these programs all require the use of program on your computer to link up with the program on the phone - the reason none of these work with Acuralink. Back in 2006, I got an old Sprint phone to link up to Acuralink once and download something, but it never worked again. That was an old Palm phone using PAM back when Sprint still included it in some plans.

Acuralink seems completely useless and I know of nobody who has gotten it to work reliably.
HEAVY_RL (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 06:14 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Acuralink is a broad term for the Acura telematics. That includes HFL, VR, XM satellite communications, text to speech, GPS, Auto-Climate Control, etc. etc.

Datalink is only one part of Acuralink and the part most mysterious for owners to understand how to connect and what it does once connected.

To determine if your phone is capable of Datalink, go the the Acura HFL microsite http://www.acura.com/handsfreelink.aspx?ls=LG&fs=NFN and check your phone / carrier & model capability. Not every HFL capable phone is Datalink capable. Not every phone model that is capable with Carrier A is capable with Carrier B. Your phone needs to show it has DATA compatibility for YOUR RL year & model, YOUR carrier and YOUR phone model.

A minority of HFL capable phone are also Datalink capable.

I have full Acuralink capability (including DataLink). It does work. Would you miss it? Likely not. My RL I receives periodic feature tips sent to the car (an envelope appears in the Navi Screen). I can make service appointments from the car and get reminders for service appointments. But the most valuable use of DataLink is the least likely for RL owner....diagnostics. If the RL throws a trouble code, it alerts your registered dealer via Acuralink. Theoretically, if it is a simple reset, it can be done via satellite. But more likely the dealer will call you to advise and schedule a service visit. Theoretically if something extreme were to happen where the car would not be drivable Acura Concierge would call you and arrange to retrieve the vehicle when they were notified via Acuralink.

That rarely happens according to my Service Manager. I did once, however happen to me when my RL threw a check engine code for not seating the fuel cap correctly. I saw the dash warning light and less than a minute later I got a call my from my advisor. I reseated the fuel cap and the warning light went out. I do not know if it was reset via AcuraLink as it usually takes a few engine restarts to clear that code.

I can also run a Datalink test to satellite successfully when the car has a clear satellite sight line.

Indeed, it does work.
mrm143 (05-09-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 06:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
The only thing that I have ever received is the "Tips" mail. It is another technological breakthough but in practicality, it is worthless, particularly if your carrier charges additionally for the capability. I seem to remember that there is a test for it and upon initilization of the test you will get the mail icon on the Nav and then you can read the useless message.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:28 PM
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
I've been doing a lot of research, and it seems that android phones do not support the DUN bluetooth profile that is required for the AcuraLink DataLink. I have a rooted android, and that doesn't seem to help. I've also tried FoxFi, PDANet, and CobaltBlue2, with zero success. Actually, with CobaltBlue2, the phone indicates that it is connected, but then the car times out. Has anyone had success with an Android phone, rooted or not?
Old 05-09-2012, 04:34 PM
Instructor

Update... I did get it to work about 3 times with cobalt blue 3 on the bionic... It connects VERY sporadically and not sure why, but one minute i test and its fine, the other, Nothing....
So at least we know it CAN work....
Old 05-09-2012, 09:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Thats progress.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:09 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
To determine if your phone is capable of Datalink, go the the Acura HFL microsite http://www.acura.com/handsfreelink.aspx?ls=LG&fs=NFN and check your phone / carrier & model capability. Not every HFL capable phone is Datalink capable. Not every phone model that is capable with Carrier A is capable with Carrier B. Your phone needs to show it has DATA compatibility for YOUR RL year & model, YOUR carrier and YOUR phone model.
In briefly going through this site and playing with different RL years and carriers , it seems that the only phones listed as compatible with the HFC Data feature is the Blackberry. Apple= NOT. HTC= NOT. LG = NOT. All by any carrier and model.

Someone needs to tell Acura that 2001 called and wants their Blackberry back....
Old 05-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Many Motorola models and Samsung models work with DataLink. But it is dependent on the Bluetooth profiles installed by the manufacturer and / or modified by the carrier. EVERY cell phone that is branded (locked) to a carrier (ATT, Verizon, TMobile, etc) has its software modified for that carrier. This often disables functionality the phone itself may be capable. Verizon was notorious for this as voice and data is not simultaneous. Hackers find ways around it in some cases.

Acura Datalink was established on certain Bluetooth profiles being available by 1) the phone itself and 2) the carrier enabling use of that profile. Unfortunately automobiles are not typically upgradeable with technology unless you replace the hardware when upgraded features become available. The auto industry cannot keep up with changes in technology and the cell phone industry in particular is likely the most rapidly changing / evolving technology used by mass consumer.

Expecting Acura to have anticipate how phone hardware, software and carrier integration was to take a fast pasted evolution is naive. New technology is a product of competition. Competition gives us choices and unfortunately not all choices are the products that survive the long term. Technology leap frogs every 6 months on average. You are welcome to buy a new car every 6 months if you cannot tolerate being ahead of the pack form now till eternity.

Blaming Acura for being a pioneer in this technology based on what the market conditions projected, back in 2004 when HFL was baked for the RL is about as logical as whining that a 2012 Hyundai Elantra has better HFL connectivity than a 2005 RL.

Welcome to the byproduct of our 'Instant Gratification' society.
The following 2 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
HEAVY_RL (05-10-2012), neuronbob (05-13-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 09:25 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
Many Motorola models and Samsung models work with DataLink. But it is dependent on the Bluetooth profiles installed by the manufacturer and / or modified by the carrier. EVERY cell phone that is branded (locked) to a carrier (ATT, Verizon, TMobile, etc) has its software modified for that carrier. This often disables functionality the phone itself may be capable. Verizon was notorious for this as voice and data is not simultaneous. Hackers find ways around it in some cases.

Acura Datalink was established on certain Bluetooth profiles being available by 1) the phone itself and 2) the carrier enabling use of that profile. Unfortunately automobiles are not typically upgradeable with technology unless you replace the hardware when upgraded features become available. The auto industry cannot keep up with changes in technology and the cell phone industry in particular is likely the most rapidly changing / evolving technology used by mass consumer.

Expecting Acura to have anticipate how phone hardware, software and carrier integration was to take a fast pasted evolution is naive. New technology is a product of competition. Competition gives us choices and unfortunately not all choices are the products that survive the long term. Technology leap frogs every 6 months on average. You are welcome to buy a new car every 6 months if you cannot tolerate being ahead of the pack form now till eternity.

Blaming Acura for being a pioneer in this technology based on what the market conditions projected, back in 2004 when HFL was baked for the RL is about as logical as whining that a 2012 Hyundai Elantra has better HFL connectivity than a 2005 RL.

Welcome to the byproduct of our 'Instant Gratification' society.
Well said. As I posted when I traded in my RL a few months back, when comparing my '06 RL with my new '12 Caddy CTS Coupe, I was surprised by how technically relevent the RL still was considering that the platform was introduced in the fall of '04 as an '05.

It had voice recognition that REALLY worked. Manufacturers only in the last couple of years have started offering usable VR like MyFordTouch, and even thase are getting mixed reviews. My priior experience with VR was my wife's Land Cruiser. Toyota should have been sued for even calling it that, It recognized nothing and I stopped trying to use it two weeks after we had the car. Fortunately that was one of the few disappointments with that car. As a result, when I had purchased my RL, I dismissed the salesman when he talked about the VR as I was convinced it was a gimmick. I was thrilled when I started playing with it a few days after bringing it home.

Noise cancellation too was unheard of in a car of this class. Navtraffic back then was only offered in two cars, the RL and the Cadillac CTS.

Same with Dolby 5.1 Surround Stereo.

SH-AWD too. Acura did a terrible job of marketing that and taking credit for mainstreaming it. Now many manfacturers are bringing out similar systems, almost a decade after Honda/Acura.

Acura is about to do it again witht he hybrid systems in the NSX and RL.

What Acura IS guilty of, is waiting too long between introducing these breakthrough innovations. The reason might be, and I suspect it is, is that they make sure the technology works and don't rus it to market. That takes time.
Ray C. (12-26-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GoHawks
What Acura IS guilty of, is waiting too long between introducing these breakthrough innovations. The reason might be, and I suspect it is, is that they make sure the technology works and don't rus it to market. That takes time.
No one is blaming Acura or wanting something more from our 4-wheel-friends then they can offer.

To the point being made above, many 2012 phones and 2012 model RL's remain incompatible with the HFL link technology. Acura's slow adoption to upgrade it's technology (this doesn't imply always first to market) is an area where they could show more initiative. As has been repeated in many threads.

Not fully understanding all Acura wants to accomplish with the HFL Link featue, but what seems like a continuation to rely on the multitude of phone manufactures and carrier technology to communicate with the vehicle and the owner/driver in this day of endless technology ( ie. HomeLink, Satellite (XM is already imbedded in the car), WiMAX, GSM, CDMA, etc.) seems to reinforce their reticence to upgrade or reevaluate their implementation strategy.

I think the frustration is not owning a vehicle whose technology has naturally succumbed to the effects of "Moore's law" but moreover the failure to resolve on going competitive shortcomings model-year after model-year.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:04 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

The next generation of AcuraLink telematics will be launched with the RL(X). Not only should we expect it to improve on the features we have, but replace features Acura pioneered and embraced, even when the partner technologies in cell phones took different directions. Acura Concierge will return some capabilities ONSTAR offers, streaming technology and expand on compatibility (as the market looks today and for the near / projected future). We will see this when the RL(X) telematics, still being baked and tested are announced prior to the model launch.

I agree it would be great if Acura could step up with feature improvements and upgrades closer to the market pace, and even build in upgradeable content. But there are several variables at work here and I simply do not believe the automobile refresh cycle is modeled well to align with technology cycles.

1) Honda / Acura once owned a commanding share of XM. The plan was...build it's own ONSTAR-like telematics based on the XM platform. Well guess what, XM's business model changed, Sirius came into play and years worth of planning (a long time in technology product cycles) and the Honda / Acura telematics plans took a wide left turn. Delay.

2) Automobile manufactures have contracted supply agreements with parts suppliers. Technology components have additions complexities when the demand is for leading edge / exclusive (and therefore risky) product ventures. Those supple contracts must be fulfilled before Acura can say..."guess what, now lets change our HFL modules based on this once known trend to that new unexpected trend. Oh, and we do not want to pay out the remaining units we agreed, nor do we want to pay research development and ramp up for the new hot toy of the day, and get it done in 6 month before the fickle consumer changes their minds again." Wait.

3) Acura HFL was modeled using a cell manufacturer leading Bluetooth technology of the day (circa 2001-2003). That was Motorola. Guess what? Motorola nearly went under, is still in underdog mode, changed from using Windows OS to Android and again looking for a buyer. So much for that crystal ball. Looking.

4) HFL technology, and again Datalink features were designed on particular Bluetooth DUN profiles many CARRIERS have hobbled or removed because they enable tethering and the new super computer smartphone users were hogging the cell bandwidth. I guess a car manufacture was supposed to predict that also? Maybe Acura should call Verizon, AT&T and TMobile and ask, nicely, to let it be so the rare and occasional AcuraLink user could get a more than rarer trouble code transmitted to Acura? Hope.

5) Acura is a car company. And despite the fact that the morons on the road are more interested in their Facebook status than hurling 2 tons of mostly hard stuff around the suburban roads, maybe the priorities on vehicle handling, performance and safety take precedence? I mean to invest in changing HFL modules out so the next Hello Kitty cell phone is compatible on a vehicle that sold dozens of units in the last 6 months - 2 years will make the stock holders very happy. Or they can wait for a new model launch (which was delayed to platform changes, a last minute redirect from a V8 RWD config and oh yeah, a Global Recession really came along just to inconveniance Acura's technology updates when not having parts and plants affected by tsunamis, earthquakes or contract litigations) which might be a bit wiser? Call me too conservative. Pray.

I guess if anyone can plan out technology updates, part supplier production, testing with a gazillion partner cell phone technologies, cell Carrier overloards, fickle consumers, money losing stocker holders, keep Mother Nature off hot flashes and oh yeah, you can guarantee where the technology market will be in say, 6 months (easy challenge) , I am CERTAIN Acura wants to hear from you and your crystal ball.

I for one, it seems, respect that the RL with 8+ years of baked technology still impresses me with my 2006RL and I cannot find anything else on the market that pleases me as much to make me write out a check for $50K+ in order to satisfy that itch.
The following 2 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
mrm143 (05-12-2012), Ray C. (12-26-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 12:32 PM
Instructor

Wow! I couldn't agree more.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:14 PM
Instructor

Well, my conclusion is it's not worth the effort LOL...
I had it working on and off, and while a cool feature I am not going to spend any more time one it...
Old 05-13-2012, 06:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Many of us figured out in 2005 or 06 or so that it wasn't worth the effort. Appreciate the effort, though! TampaRL is spot-on (as usual) with his comment.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:13 PM
Instructor

Anyone tried this Service Bulletin update?

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/SB/B08-003.pdf

It was updated May 3, 2012. I wonder if this will solve some issues. Also, the next SB states: " ...., go to DIAGNOSIS to check the AcuraLink software versions." This is for all models of RL.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mayflowerman
Anyone tried this Service Bulletin update?

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/SB/B08-003.pdf

It was updated May 3, 2012. I wonder if this will solve some issues. Also, the next SB states: " ...., go to DIAGNOSIS to check the AcuraLink software versions." This is for all models of RL.

You are not authorized to view the content on this page.

If you believe you have received this message in error, please contact the Support Center.

Please go back or return to the home page.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:55 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

^^^

....and WHERE have you been? Several Heavy-targeted posts were NOT replied.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:15 AM
Suzuka Master

My bad... lost connection somewhere in here:

Quick Reply: Acuralink, Time to beat a dead horse