AC doesn't work after iPod install

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 07:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
AC doesn't work after iPod install

I got the iPod integration+install as part of my $42.5k deal and it was finally installed yesterday. Driving from the dealership yesterday, I noticed that the climate control wasn't working at all. None of the buttons associated with the climate control were lit up or working when I tried to press them. All the audio controls worked perfectly. No iPod was plugged in as I hadn't installed the software on the iPod yet.

It appears the techs forgot to plug something back in after they went in the front console .....should be an easy fix. I searched through the threads on the '05 RL A/C issue and this is definitely not the same. My goodness, I am SO glad I didn't buy a used '05 after reading those threads.

So......I'm in an '06 TSX loaner over the weekend. I've driven all three of Acura's sedans in the last week now.

An aside: The MID information in the 2006 TSX is similar to what we have the RL (instant MPG, range, avg speed, etc but no TPMS that I could find)! Was very surprised at this.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:11 AM
Retired and Loving It

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Bob, Some of us with 05 RLs haven't experienced any problems with the A/C. I've read the threads your talking about. It appears many owners have had A/C failures. I don't know if I'm in a minority on this issue but my A/C works great!
Old 09-30-2006, 05:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
No problems with mine either....used mine heavily this summer. Would be interested to find out the build numbers (VIN) on the RL's having A/C issues. My guess is they are below 12,000.

Originally Posted by Ernie Golfs
Hey Bob, Some of us with 05 RLs haven't experienced any problems with the A/C. I've read the threads your talking about. It appears many owners have had A/C failures. I don't know if I'm in a minority on this issue but my A/C works great!
Old 09-30-2006, 08:36 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I got the iPod integration+install as part of my $42.5k deal and it was finally installed yesterday. Driving from the dealership yesterday, I noticed that the climate control wasn't working at all. None of the buttons associated with the climate control were lit up or working when I tried to press them. All the audio controls worked perfectly. No iPod was plugged in as I hadn't installed the software on the iPod yet.

It appears the techs forgot to plug something back in after they went in the front console .....should be an easy fix. I searched through the threads on the '05 RL A/C issue and this is definitely not the same. My goodness, I am SO glad I didn't buy a used '05 after reading those threads.

So......I'm in an '06 TSX loaner over the weekend. I've driven all three of Acura's sedans in the last week now.

An aside: The MID information in the 2006 TSX is similar to what we have the RL (instant MPG, range, avg speed, etc but no TPMS that I could find)! Was very surprised at this.
I have an '05 and my AC works. Have a feeling the IPOD issues need to be worked out. After all this is the first year for the IPOD and RL. Keeep your fingers crossed.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:38 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Sorry, Bob, but I'm going to have to move this thread to the Audio, Bluetooth, Electronics, Navigation and A/C Failure subforum.

Old 09-30-2006, 09:24 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts

Wow, that does't sound good. I was just at my dealer today looking into getting the IPOD thing installed. It concerned me that they have to remove the center console for that very same reason, they might not button it all up right again. I'm gonna have to wait until Monday to talk with my tech again. I'm sure they'll get your situation all worked out, and when they do, will you let me know how it works and how you like it?
Old 09-30-2006, 09:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Sorry, Bob, but I'm going to have to move this thread to the Audio, Bluetooth, Electronics, Navigation and A/C Failure subforum.

Why, I oughta.....jeez, everybody's a mod.

Treblig, I'll let you know once I get it back. I was concerned when I read in a thread about the iPod integration crashing the RL's electronics but decided to go through with it anyway.....it was "free" for me so I lose no money trying it.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:04 PM
Drifting

Why, I oughta.....jeez, everybody's a mod.

Treblig, I'll let you know once I get it back. I was concerned when I read in a thread about the iPod integration crashing the RL's electronics but decided to go through with it anyway.....it was "free" for me so I lose no money trying it.
Any word yet? I've got my dealer lined up but don't want to pull the trigger if it's gonna be more trouble than it's worth. I can live with XM and the 6 Disc changer if necessary.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:41 PM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would guess it's a one-time install problem, a tech forgetting to connect something. I doubt it's a significant issue.

As for the iPod link, however, it isn't the best. However it's the only solution out there.... too bad they can't use the one they have in the new Civic's.... that's sweet.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:00 PM
Senior Moderator

I got the car back on Monday. They just had to plug the power for the AC control panel back in, it was less than 1/2 hour repair.

Of course, the iPod doesn't work in the car even though it's got the latest firmware. I'm going to try a suggestion posted in another thread--pulling the fuse to the radio for a few minutes. I suspect it's going back to the dealer for a definitive fix, but will do so when I have my A-Spec suspension installed next week.

Not happy with this so far. If I can't get this to work, I'll just take advantage of the fact that the RL's system accepts mp3s and burn some discs.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:14 PM
Drifting

Angry

I got the car back on Monday. They just had to plug the power for the AC control panel back in, it was less than 1/2 hour repair.

Of course, the iPod doesn't work in the car even though it's got the latest firmware. I'm going to try a suggestion posted in another thread--pulling the fuse to the radio for a few minutes. I suspect it's going back to the dealer for a definitive fix, but will do so when I have my A-Spec suspension installed next week.

Not happy with this so far. If I can't get this to work, I'll just take advantage of the fact that the RL's system accepts mp3s and burn some discs.
Sorry to hear that you're having such a problem with it. I can certainly feel your frustration. Heck, I'm frustrated for you! Hope it all gets resolved to your satisfaction. It would be nice to have the ability to play my iPod through the RL's stereo. My Dealer seems to think that they can get it to work just fine, but they haven't done many RL installations (just one I believe). Sure would appreciate it if you kept me posted on your progress. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
If they can't fix it, approach the Customer Relations person and let them know about you not being satisfied. Usually, they'll take down your info and pass it onto Acura....and maybe you'll get some free stuff for your troubles.

Old 10-04-2006, 11:48 PM
05 slate grey e500 AMG sp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How does the IPOD interface connect to the audio system? What type of plug?