05 rl nav issues... Need help asap

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 07:22 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 rl nav issues... Need help asap

I have a 05 Acura RL I'm trying to sale soon before I head to Korea in Aug. But there's 1 major problem, the navigation system inside the vehicle is acting very flaky. Most of the time it just flashes the "Acura World screen" and cuts off no longer operational. Some days it would do the same thing and but the "Info screen" will be the only thing operational. There's days where just the voice itself would come up and unit is unresponsive. It's very rare that everything on the navigation unit properly functions and brings up the "GPS Screen." I just want to troubleshoot the issue instead of just taking it straight to the dealer and being hit upside the head for maintenance and they tell me that it just the unit itself that doesn't work when it could be a cabling issue or something not grounded properly. I've searched through the forums but i haven't came across anyone that had this issue.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
It sounds like it is a connection problem....or possibly software.

Without dealer diagnosis (I assume you are out of warranty)...I would:

1) Check the connections. The NAVI DVD drive is in the trunk under the rear parcel shelf. Remove, clean and replace the connecting leads. I have read where poor lead connection generated NAVI reboots and failure.

If that does not clear it up....

2) Check the software. Eject, clean and replace the NAVI DVD. Sometime sand or grit gets into the drive causing the disc read to fail. Also try to reload the software with the Diagnostic Screens should the NAVI OS be corrupted.

If still no success, I do not know of any other DIYs. It would have to be diagnosed by the dealer.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:46 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
You can send the NAV drive directly to Alpine to have it fixed...if you need to sell the car, buy one on EBay and just get the other one fixed, then sell it once you get it fixed...thats the faster option.