XM info delay & dead battery fixes coming!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 03:56 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up XM info delay & dead battery fixes coming!

Just received a call from Acura Claims Service CSR informing me their engineers have finally come up with a fix for both the AcuraLink XM screen info delay AND the dead battery issue.

Though the 2 issues are unrelated, the CSR told me the engineers have been working on both and that we can expect "pretty soon" some sort of notification via letter of an "update" that will fix the 2 problems. Updates to be handled at your local Acura dealer.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:30 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Somehow I think the "xm delay" problem has gone away.......... Maybe the problem was w XM broadcast rather than the radio?????
Old 06-08-2005, 04:39 PM
Instructor

Nope. I'm still having it as of half hour ago today (as have others who have had the problem since April). Whatsmore, Acura has verified it has been a real problem since the AcuraLink updates were done and have, reportedly, come up with the fix.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:50 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still have the delay issue. My dealership told me that it is a processor problem, that after the update something happened to the processor and/or memory causing the delay.

I have also been told the brake squeal (sp?) problem is being worked on now and a fix should be here before the fall.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:14 PM
Racer

I still have the XM delay issue. It appears to me as if it is some type of polling issue - that the processing on the XM display has somehow been set to poll for changed data on the feed at a longer interval. This explains, to me, why sometimes it comes close to being real time but usually seems to be in the 20+ second range.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:55 AM
Cruisin'

Can't wait!

The XM delay is cosmetic (of course), but that doesn't make it any less annoying! I would be very pleased when a fix is available.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:34 AM
Cruisin'

Spoke to Acura CSR today RE: XM DELAY

I spoke to Acura CSR today, and they told me that the XM Delay was NOT a bug, but a "characteristic" of the Acura XM receiver. They had no definitive plans for a fix.... hmmm..... that is troubling...
Old 06-27-2005, 08:42 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2005BlackRL
I spoke to Acura CSR today, and they told me that the XM Delay was NOT a bug, but a "characteristic" of the Acura XM receiver. They had no definitive plans for a fix.... hmmm..... that is troubling...
They're yanking your chain (probably because that particular operator didn't know better). Why does my '05 MDX and my previous '04 TL not have this problem? Why does CD text have similar symptoms? Why don't the channel names consistenly appear on the Nav display? I think we're looking at a computer bug here.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sfintel
They're yanking your chain (probably because that particular operator didn't know better). Why does my '05 MDX and my previous '04 TL not have this problem? Why does CD text have similar symptoms? Why don't the channel names consistenly appear on the Nav display? I think we're looking at a computer bug here.

I agree. If enough people get together and WRITE letters to ACS then something may get done about the problem. Now, the battery issue - I thought this was because people don't know how to turn off their cars... unless I am mistaken. But at least the XM problem can be resolved.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:40 AM
Instructor

There are a couple of threads on the XM Delay issue in this forum. I tried to get people to call and complain about the issue but I fear most people don't think it important enough to make the call. The first level CSRs are pretty worthless. We all know more about the RLs then they do (which is not saying much in some instances).

I have been told a number of different things by one each time I call. To get any (although limited) satisfaction, you need to ask to have a case opened on the issue and it will be referred to an allegedly second level CSR who will speak with the tech people adn "research the issue". Of course, they may conclude that there is no problem and this is normal, although any of us who own other XM radios now the change in song info is instantaneous on other devices.

I think most of the XM problems started when they applied one of the 4 part updates a while ago. I suppose most of the newer cars already have that update loaded. My radio did not have the problem prior to the application of the update. My dealer has told me its a problem with the processor used in the radio. It is overloaded or not able to process the info fast enough. I think it has something to do with the memory.

Try the following. Next time a song changes but the display does not, manually and quickly change the channel to the next channel and then immediately go back to the channel you were originally listening to. The updated information should be there. I believe this shows XM is delivering the information to the unit but the receiver is not displaying it right away. Getting hung up in memory? Who knows.

Until more people complain, I don't think they will take this seriously. Hopefully the CSR who told PRNole47 a fix is coming knew what they were talking about but I have my doubts.

So keep calling Acura CS and report the report and make sure that it goes to an upper level CSR. If I can't have diagnostics via my BT phone, at least I can have the proper info displayed when the song changes.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Gator5000e
Try the following. Next time a song changes but the display does not, manually and quickly change the channel to the next channel and then immediately go back to the channel you were originally listening to. The updated information should be there. I believe this shows XM is delivering the information to the unit but the receiver is not displaying it right away. Getting hung up in memory? Who knows.
Yes, I tried this the day I took delivery of the car a little over a week ago and that is correct. If you change the station quickly the correct song title is displayed.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:16 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2005BlackRL
Well, ever since I first called Acura Customer Care about the XM issue, the one person I have always spoken to has been quite conscientious about keeping me "up to date" and has called me back on her own to tell me what's been happening.

The first 2 times she called me back was to tell me (1) she had received several reports about the issue so that their engineers were now aware and "looking into it," and, in her second cal several weeks later, (2) they were still looking into it and were now aware that the problem was related to the Acura Link Update.

During this second call, she further volunteered that she had contacted XM and found the problem was not theirs (XM's) and that folks with home XM receivers did not have the delay issue. She emphasized she was comfortable that the problem was related to the Acura Linkl update.

Then, the 3rd time she called me (all calls unexpected and unsolicited), that's when she told me the engineers had finally located the problem in the software and were building a "fix" that would be announced via another customer letter when released. She made sure to tell me she had wanted to let me know right away since I had been one of her early callers to report the problem.

I'd check with another CSR since the one you spoke with may not be all that informed about the status of the problem.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:21 AM
Instructor

To get any (although limited) satisfaction, you need to ask to have a case opened on the issue and it will be referred to an allegedly second level CSR who will speak with the tech people adn "research the issue".
That's exactly what happened back in Feb when I first called. I was sent thru several depts. then finally spoke with the CSR that "opened a case" for this particular issue and gave me a reference number for future tracking.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:41 AM
Cruisin'

Promising information....

PRNole47:

Excellent reply.

Might it be possible to have the name of your CSR so that when we call, we can refer the CSR we speak to in her direction so that there is no miscommunication?

I think that would clear up all confusion on this issue.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
I have also experienced the delays previously mention but I have also had delays in traffic updates. I drove 45 minutes this morning and no traffic info at all ever showed on the screen. Is this related to XM updates or Acura software?
BTW I have also had a major freeway with 4 lanes closed for scheduled maintenance and that incident never showed up even though the freeway was "blue" both directions on the screen.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:07 PM
Advanced

We recently purchases an 05 Honda Odyssey with Nav and XM radio....there is no delay....the titles change immediately. I will call Acura...hope they get this fixed soon.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:10 PM
Instructor

kph3, please let us know what Acura tells you when you call them. Thanks for any updates.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:00 PM
Racer

There is another issue that may be related. The current car position as indicated on the GPS is delayed compared the acutal car location. This has cause me to over-shoot turns. This is a significant delay compared to my Lexus' Nav system. On the other hand, song titles on the XM radio has no significant delay. Has anyone else observed this?
Old 07-05-2005, 11:10 PM
Suzuka Master

That probably isn't the same problem, but more of a navi calibration issue. I will pull out the service manual in the morning and scan the pages with instructions on how to fix that issue.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:05 AM
Racer

vp911:

Thanks. I look forward to the instructions.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:39 AM
Suzuka Master

There isn't a specific set of instructions for your exact problem. Try this first, then I can give you another set of instructions.

Move vehicle outside to an unobstructed view of the sky (as open as you can get)
Turn the ignition switch off
Disconnect the battery for 30 minuts to clear teh GPS receiver's memory
Reconnect the battery and follow the screen prompts

You will need your navi and radio codes when doing this. When you recconect the battery and turn on the car, do not move the car. It will reacquire the GPS signal.

If the car does not pickup the GPS signal it is very likely that your gps antenna is damaged and will need to be serviced by the dealer.

Another thing you can do, after you finish those steps when the car is on hold MENU+MAP+CANCEL all down at the same time. It will go into diagnostics mode. Go to "car status" and make sure everything is OK. DO NOT change any settings - we don't know what half of these thigns do

You can also go to "GPS info" instead of "car status" - look in there, you can press and hold the "menu" button to go into the "gps detail screen"
Old 07-06-2005, 11:14 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by vp911
There isn't a specific set of instructions for your exact problem. Try this first, then I can give you another set of instructions.

Move vehicle outside to an unobstructed view of the sky (as open as you can get)
Turn the ignition switch off
Disconnect the battery for 30 minuts to clear teh GPS receiver's memory
Reconnect the battery and follow the screen prompts

You will need your navi and radio codes when doing this. When you recconect the battery and turn on the car, do not move the car. It will reacquire the GPS signal.

If the car does not pickup the GPS signal it is very likely that your gps antenna is damaged and will need to be serviced by the dealer.

Another thing you can do, after you finish those steps when the car is on hold MENU+MAP+CANCEL all down at the same time. It will go into diagnostics mode. Go to "car status" and make sure everything is OK. DO NOT change any settings - we don't know what half of these thigns do

You can also go to "GPS info" instead of "car status" - look in there, you can press and hold the "menu" button to go into the "gps detail screen"
Thanks for the instructions, but have these been tried? What exactly is the XM radio code? Is it the one on the plastic card came with the owner's manual folder or the one that shows in the radio LCD screen? They are different.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:19 AM
Suzuka Master

These have been tried and tested by acuras engineering department - which is why it i in the service manual.
The radio code is on a little plastic card - like a credit card size. Yes with the manual. The radio LCD screen? I am lost when you say that. There should be a little plastic card with two different codes on it.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by vp911
These have been tried and tested by acuras engineering department - which is why it i in the service manual.
The radio code is on a little plastic card - like a credit card size. Yes with the manual. The radio LCD screen? I am lost when you say that. There should be a little plastic card with two different codes on it.
There is a XM serial # on channel 0 or 1. The reason I am not sure which one to use is that my XM module was changed, and I wasn't given a new code.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Oh. That is the XM ID. That is a different number. That is for using directly with XM to activate your radio service. You do not need that number for this process.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:44 PM
Instructor

Hey, you guys hijacked this thread!

kph3, did you follow up w/Acura on the XM delay issue?

My Nav code was written in the front of the Nav manual. The radio code was also written there along with the Nav code. Radio code is also found on the plastic card.

Hopefully the XM fix will be released soon. It's been a month since PRNole47 first posted. Any up dates, PR?
Old 07-06-2005, 06:49 PM
Suzuka Master

My Nav code was written in the front of the Nav manual. The radio code was also written there along with the Nav code. Radio code is also found on the plastic card.

Hopefully the XM fix will be released soon. It's been a month since PRNole47 first posted. Any up dates, PR?
sorry

I am going to call ACS tomorrow as well for the XM delay to check on the status. I will post when I speak to them.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:24 PM
Racer

Red face

Sorry
Old 07-06-2005, 07:49 PM
Intermediate

Not sure if anything changed, but my XM was updating the display immediately this afternoon. I tried several channels and all updated as soon as the new song started instead of the 10-15 second lag.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by veriojon
Not sure if anything changed, but my XM was updating the display immediately this afternoon. I tried several channels and all updated as soon as the new song started instead of the 10-15 second lag.

Same thing just now when I was driving. Very odd...
Old 07-06-2005, 09:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Nevermind. Went for a drive again and it was slow to update again.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:03 AM
Intermediate

Unfortunately this morning it was back to the lag
Old 07-21-2005, 05:47 PM
mwm
Advanced

XM Delay not apparent this afternoon

On the way home from work this afternoon, I noticed that the XM delay has gone away. It was there this morning, gone this afternoon. Anyone else experiencing a faster XM display this afternoon?

Thanks.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:24 PM
Cruisin'

I just checked my XM and the delay is still there, 20 seconds or so.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:03 PM
Advanced

Said they aware of the issue but did not have any additional information at this time.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mwm
On the way home from work this afternoon, I noticed that the XM delay has gone away. It was there this morning, gone this afternoon. Anyone else experiencing a faster XM display this afternoon?

Thanks.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:24 PM
Intermediate

NO...This is one of those annoying issues that Acura does know about and I am sure is waiting to roll out a campaign wrapped with other items. Hard to believe with all the technicians they have this problem wasn't able to be resolved. They know the code they had in place before the first campaign and what changes they performed.

Just want it resolved so the car is 100%!
Old 07-30-2005, 06:55 PM
10th Gear

Dead Battery!

Geez.... I got back after 7 days away at good 'ol Rehobeth Beach, go to start my 2005 Rl and.........dead battery.....question.....is the "update" here yet?....if not...since I have now recharged the battery is there a good chance of a reoccurence? What is the best course of action here?
Old 08-02-2005, 11:12 AM
Intermediate

HERE WE GO AGAIN! Got in the car this morning. Radio was turned on, XM came on for a couple seconds and then switched to Channel 1. I switched it back to 22 and it played and said "loading". After about 20 or so seconds back to Channel 1. Thought I was on candid camera for a second as I switched back to 22 and same sequence again.

Anyone else in So CA having XM problems this morning about 7:30 AM???
Old 08-02-2005, 03:15 PM
Instructor

Mine sometimes resets itself back to the "Preview" but my presets
are still okay when I shut the car off overnite or for even an hour or
whatever.

Initially I thought, like some other owners have experienced, that
when you turned the car off in a "no signal" area like my garage,
that that's only when it would happen...today in front of my home at the curb, I restarted the car and back to "preview" it went. Not a big deal but I own two '05 MDX's w/XM - it's never happend with those
vehicles.

Quick Reply: XM info delay & dead battery fixes coming!