Wood steering wheel satisfaction

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 12:42 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wood steering wheel satisfaction

For those of you that had the wood steering wheel installed.... Are you happy with your purchase? On the ebony interior , does the wheel leather match the seats?

Thanks, I am thinking about getting one installed.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:46 PM
Instructor

I absolutely like the upgraded steering wheel. It both looks and feels better than the OEM wheel imho.

The upgraded wheel has contours in it that match where I generally hold the wheel so it feels more secure in grip to me anyway. I think it looks more sporty too as the OEM wheel is kind of boring in appearance, at least in taupe. I had the original wheel for a month or so before changing it out. I have the wood gear shift option and the "wood" wheel really complements the other wood accents in the interior.

I have taupe interior so can't answer on the ebony matching but the taupe is a great match.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:03 PM
Intermediate

I have the ebony wood wheel and it matches perfectly. I cannot speak for comparing against the stock wheel as mine came with the wood.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:28 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by veriojon
I have the ebony wood wheel and it matches perfectly. I cannot speak for comparing against the stock wheel as mine came with the wood.
Same here.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:43 PM
Dr. E in TN

Originally Posted by jfprl
For those of you that had the wood steering wheel installed.... Are you happy with your purchase? On the ebony interior , does the wheel leather match the seats?

Thanks, I am thinking about getting one installed.
I love my wood steering wheel and wood shifting knob. I think that the inside of the car would not be anywhere near as cool and sophisticated without them. I have the gray interior, and it matches perfectly.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:46 AM
kgd
Instructor

I have the ebony interior and I really prefer the look of the wood wheel. I had the stock wheel for about 5 months and just got the wood wheel within the last month. The leather does have a yellowish stiching to it, which I believe makes it look even better. The quality of the leather looks far superior to the stock leather wheel and the wood was a great match to the dash. The feel is much better than stock as it does have contours where you would normally hold the wheel. And it looks great.

I did some online searches for several Acura dealers from the Acura web site and found one that was quite a bit cheaper than any of the others in the area, Niello Acura in Sacramento. I had them do the wood wheel, shifter, trunk tray and net, back up sensors and iPod interface and their online pricing was great. Saved me over $800 from the MSRP.

Kris
Old 02-09-2006, 08:38 AM
Instructor

I'm happy also.....
Old 02-09-2006, 10:18 AM
goodbye RL for now...

Originally Posted by kgd
I have the ebony interior and I really prefer the look of the wood wheel. I had the stock wheel for about 5 months and just got the wood wheel within the last month. The leather does have a yellowish stiching to it, which I believe makes it look even better. The quality of the leather looks far superior to the stock leather wheel and the wood was a great match to the dash. The feel is much better than stock as it does have contours where you would normally hold the wheel. And it looks great.

I did some online searches for several Acura dealers from the Acura web site and found one that was quite a bit cheaper than any of the others in the area, Niello Acura in Sacramento. I had them do the wood wheel, shifter, trunk tray and net, back up sensors and iPod interface and their online pricing was great. Saved me over $800 from the MSRP.

Kris
What model RL do you have? I'm interested that you ordered the iPod interface. With whom did you install it with? TIA One last question, where did you purchase everything specifically, how much and how do you like the trunk tray? I'm interested, but I'm not sure if I really need it. How's the net? Sorry for so many questions.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:25 PM
Cruisin'

Hi,

I've posted up pictures of my 2006 RL Silver/Ebony with the wood steering wheel. You can view them here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1809

Its been great so far after 1 month of driving. Hope the link helps in your decision.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:27 PM
Intermediate

Love the wood/leather steering wheel. Installed it the other day. Ergonomic feel and much thicker (wood part is about as thick as stock wheel). Had victor wheel on my last car and also loved it. Best upgrade you can do for your car since you are always "in touch" with it!
Old 02-09-2006, 09:41 PM
Cruisin'

I've had the wood wheel with ebony interior since purchase. Love it.

Only nitpick: that wood gets DAMN cold on winter days. Have gloves ready!

However, of the last few cars I've owned with wood steering wheels, my RL's steering wheel feels like it has extremely thick lacquer applied to it.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:53 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by neilah
I've had the wood wheel with ebony interior since purchase. Love it.

Only nitpick: that wood gets DAMN cold on winter days. Have gloves ready!

However, of the last few cars I've owned with wood steering wheels, my RL's steering wheel feels like it has extremely thick lacquer applied to it.
thats because its really plastic.
its not wood.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:18 PM
Intermediate

I bought my Beige/wood from Daniel for a tremedous discount. I believe he has other colors much cheaper than through any other site. He was very honest and shipped quickly. You can contact him at mnkyboy47@yahoo.com
Old 02-10-2006, 09:40 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by sotiri
thats because its really plastic.
its not wood.
Oh? Still looks good
Old 02-10-2006, 11:03 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by neilah
Oh? Still looks good
Yes it does, I got mine in earlier in the week, getting it installed on Monday.
Anyone have the Ipod link? if so is it any good?
And I just got my helms manuals as well.... I have read the manuals to every car I have had since 1984-guys this car is loaded with tech.
I may have found a way to disable the DRL without any issues-I hope to try it in the next few days.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:31 AM
kgd
Instructor

Originally Posted by tyrael
What model RL do you have? I'm interested that you ordered the iPod interface. With whom did you install it with? TIA One last question, where did you purchase everything specifically, how much and how do you like the trunk tray? I'm interested, but I'm not sure if I really need it. How's the net? Sorry for so many questions.
Tyrael,

I have an 05 RL and the iPod works great. I do like the trunk tray and mat, it keeps things from sliding around and looks alot better than the standard carpet back there. The net can either be hooked to the sides in two different places with the bottom of the net hooked to the floor also in two different places or all four corners of the net can be hooked to the floor. It is not very much and definitely worth the price.

You can look up the prices I paid by going to the Acura store on the Acura website and go to the accessories store and search for Sacramento, CA and then select Neillo Acura. You can comparison shop in you area to see if any dealers have better pricing on-line. You just order on-line then make an appointment with the dealer for install. I like the no haggling.

Kris
Old 02-11-2006, 11:58 AM
Racer

Well I got my new steering wheel and here are my observations.

First the wheel feel great ....I like it. The leather matches perfectly but the wood is slightly off. The wood has a red tone to it where my dash as a brown tone. I had the same issue with the wood knob.

The wheel is slightly off center, but it could have been that way before and I never noticed. The acura emblem points slightly to the left when going straight. It bothers me a little now but maybe I will get over it. If not I will get the dealer to fix it.

I got a good price from Sterling McCall in Houston as well. Really like doing business with them
Old 02-13-2006, 09:00 PM
Pro

Got mine installed today (parchment).
Much better than stock.
Much easier to handle, and better feedback.
Ordered the Ipod link online, I will install that myself over the weekend.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:00 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by kgd
Tyrael,

I have an 05 RL and the iPod works great. I do like the trunk tray and mat, it keeps things from sliding around and looks alot better than the standard carpet back there. The net can either be hooked to the sides in two different places with the bottom of the net hooked to the floor also in two different places or all four corners of the net can be hooked to the floor. It is not very much and definitely worth the price.

You can look up the prices I paid by going to the Acura store on the Acura website and go to the accessories store and search for Sacramento, CA and then select Neillo Acura. You can comparison shop in you area to see if any dealers have better pricing on-line. You just order on-line then make an appointment with the dealer for install. I like the no haggling.

Kris
You can also try here: http://www.handa-accessories.com/ which is where I purchased mine. As a matter of fact, I purchased 2 nets. I use one to secure things to the floor and the other as a trunk divider and another storage option.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:23 AM
kgd
Instructor

That is a great idea picking up an extra cargo net. I think I am going to do that.

Thanks for the tip.

Kris
Old 06-21-2006, 05:49 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by kgd

Kris

I have the Taupe color inside RL2005. I recently ordered online Curry Acura in NY, wood steering wheel and shift knob. I sent it back. Reason was, steering wheel wood/shift knob color is darker that stock wood trims came with RL. Variation in color is pretty obvious. Is there any other web site I can check out? Thanks - art
Old 06-21-2006, 09:19 PM
Racer

I went through this a well, but decided to keep them. What I discovered is that the wood steering wheels and knobs all are pretty much the same color. What varies is the color of the trim from car to car. So you have to be lucky to have gotten a dark trim so it matches the wheel and the knob. You win some you lose some. I actually like the dark wood better.

I like the look and feel of the wheel and the knob but not the color match. I sometimes think I will go back to the leather, but for now I will keep the add ons on.