Who thinks the new RL is overrated?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 08:08 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Who thinks the new RL is overrated?

The point of 300HP car is so it can perform, rite? So why would they ruin it w/ a billion pounds and SH-AWD and a billion computers intervining at ur every imput which ruins the performance of the car? Overrated? Yes. Bad? No!
Old 01-11-2005, 08:53 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by stangg172004
The point of 300HP car is so it can perform, rite? So why would they ruin it w/ a billion pounds and SH-AWD and a billion computers intervining at ur every imput which ruins the performance of the car? Overrated? Yes. Bad? No!
I wouldn't say it's that bad, but hardly overrated. I noticed some people have come on here trying to downplay the SH-AWD system by bringing up Audi, Volvo, Nissan and whoever else has an AWD system out there, but the fact is, it's the only one thus far that can do what it does.

I guarantee someone is right now trying to up the SH-AWD system by making the power transfer from wheel to wheel available for the front axle also, as for now it is only possible with the rear wheels on the SH-AWD system.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:22 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The answers are going to be opinionated.

For me, the performance of the SH-AWD is not over-rated. The reliability is yet to be proven. The reliability of Acura is over-rated, as JD Power ranked it 7th, even below Honda. The new RL will most likely affect this ranking adversely in 2005, as judging from the issues occurring with this new model.

The many other technological features are over-rated IMHO. Many of these are not new to the RL, and many others available in other brands are not in the RL. The features important to me are related to safety, and RL lacks some of them (knee air bags, lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control, pre-collision system, and active headrests). Blue tooth, real time Nav, and voice control are not as important to me as the safety features that are lacking.

On the other hand, the available crash test data show that the RL is one of the safest cars, except that the offset front collision test has not been done yet.

The RL is the top of the line sedan for Acura, but it is usually compared to non-top of the line models of Lexus, Infiniti, MB, and BMW. This may be a general but valid indication that Acura is still not yet able to match these brands in its overall ability to compete in the top rank.

As for dealer experience, in my own experience comparing to Lexus and Infiniti, Acura is no way even close. Again in my opinion, this is the weakest area for Acura.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:11 PM
8-)
...just another stooge...

Originally Posted by stangg172004
"Overrated" -- by who?
Old 01-11-2005, 11:37 PM
101 years of heartache...

Only thing the critics don't like are the questionable amount of room in the back, low-end torque (typical Honda), and steering feel. They say it handles very very well (excuse me, Super Handles) for its size, but the feel of the road isn't as good as some of its RWD competators, say, a 530i or GS300. But in an enthusiast's eye, one must compare apples to apples, and when testing let's say, an RL against an A6 quattro or E320 4Matic, the RL is far superior in terms of overall dynamics. I can't say I've experienced the numb feel because my dad and I have yet to test drive one, but it's something many have said.

As for overated? No. So much technology in that thing. 300 HP out of a V6 hooked onto the smartest AWD system on the market? A Navigation system smarter than anything out there, a Bose DVD-Audio sound system developed just for the RL, awesome materials (including wood from Tendo, Japan), and as mentioned by many owners, an endless amount of little features not listed on the sticker. The car is meant to be a mix of both sport and luxury, and it's close. But what people love about this car is what it brings to the owner, and it's working. C&D's 10 Best chose it (although I disagree, but that's another topic). The RL is a winner for great luxury, but I'd take an M35 in a heartbeat if I wanted performance out of my 50k sedan.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:12 AM
Instructor

I find myself loving these tug-of-wars waged over the new RL. Who says this car is bland, considering that it engenders such high emotion from so many?

I love the European stalwarts who claim that German brands have a tighter overall structure and drive with the solidity of a vault on wheels. Tell that to the E Class I unloaded that sounded like a bucket of bolts. Or tell it the brand new 2005 4Matics I tried out before I bought my RL. (2005 Mercedes E Class models were available well before the RL's introduction.) I drove three 4Matics and every single one of them felt like there was way too much machinery between myself and the road. None of them drove, rode, or felt as "tight" as the RL. And I don't care how many people feel otherwise. Heck, the BMW models I tried were inferior to the previous generation (ending in 2003) of BMWs! And those older cars didn't have BMW's less than intuitive (but highly combative) iDrive.

I especially love the constant mention of the M class. First, I have to be honest and tell you that (to me) the car looks like last year's Chevy Impala (especially around the back of the greenhouse). Even the new Impalas had the sense to back away from such a tired look. And the "almost fastback" style went out of style a decade ago. Looks may not be everything, but in $50,000 cars, it ought to count for something. (The RL shines in this department for me. I've never driven a car that's elicited such stares and positive comments from strangers. That includes my then-new Mercedes. Maybe its the Nighhawk Black finish or the constant shine I keep on my RL, but I can't argue with success.) BTW, the Chrysler 300C I tested was (again, to me) ugly, inside and out. Its interior was awash in cheap plastics. And I hated the inability to see out through windows designed like slits.

Another thing I particularly love is the the clash over 0-60 times. From the clocked 6.5 seconds quoted by Motorweek, to the 6.7's people now spew as gospel, I don't care! I'd ride this baby if she took 8 seconds, even 9. The ride is too sweet to ignore, which is what you have to do to honestly knock the RL. No car I've driven has ever pampered me as totally and delivered so many extras while doing so. I make calls from the car by intoning a few words, I get my directions to unknown destinations by barely whispering and if I'm looking for the nearest restaurant, my RL just wants to know the cuisine I'm seeking. Hell, the damn system even rates them for me!

I go whisking around corners like I was riding rails drilled into the road just for me. I travel in near silence and listen to music like few have ever heard in a stock audio system. The nav screen shows me every track on my media, mp3 or CD (I know how to add text) and even reads the titles to me. And XM fills in when I forget my discs.

This is a dream car for me. Rant on if you must about the new M, the Germans, and all the rest. Acura hit the bull's-eye that I wanted targeted.

And if you are looking for me to (at least) mention problems with the NavTraffic or door locking/unlocking, sorry. My car works perfectly and has from day one. The doors open at the first touch. And they lock instantly at the touch of that outer dimple. The NavTraffic screen always alerts me to problems up ahead. And every other system I've tried works impeccably. (Either I speak perfect english, or the voice activated system in my RL is a mind reader.) In other words, my RL is everything Acura said it would be.

After reading so much stuff online about this problem or that, this competitor or that one, I just had to let some of you know, the RL delivers. And thanks to Acura and to my attentive dealer (Chevy Chase Acura), so far, I'm on cloud nine.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:15 AM
Advanced

Red face

Originally Posted by AcuraRLBlue
The answers are going to be opinionated.

For me, the performance of the SH-AWD is not over-rated. The reliability is yet to be proven. The reliability of Acura is over-rated, as JD Power ranked it 7th, even below Honda. The new RL will most likely affect this ranking adversely in 2005, as judging from the issues occurring with this new model.

The many other technological features are over-rated IMHO. Many of these are not new to the RL, and many others available in other brands are not in the RL. The features important to me are related to safety, and RL lacks some of them (knee air bags, lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control, pre-collision system, and active headrests). Blue tooth, real time Nav, and voice control are not as important to me as the safety features that are lacking.

On the other hand, the available crash test data show that the RL is one of the safest cars, except that the offset front collision test has not been done yet.

The RL is the top of the line sedan for Acura, but it is usually compared to non-top of the line models of Lexus, Infiniti, MB, and BMW. This may be a general but valid indication that Acura is still not yet able to match these brands in its overall ability to compete in the top rank.

As for dealer experience, in my own experience comparing to Lexus and Infiniti, Acura is no way even close. Again in my opinion, this is the weakest area for Acura.

Your points are well taken, Blue. In my case the jury is still out on the dealership, but that could be just because I harbor it no ill will. (My experience with them has been excellent in the past).

But on Acura's Client Services the verdict is in: Their people seem hopelessly underprepared for this launch. And that has probably impacted the dealerships negatively.

Messages and opinions on these boards, along with my personal experience, suggest that the service team for this car is in over its collective head, regrettably.

I have six "issues" with my RL, reported to my dealership three weeks ago. So far there are no fixes, no information, no feedback.

Acura HQ gets a question, doesn't know the answer and promises to get back to me forthwith. This means a week, at which time they call back and say they don't know the answer.

Quite clearly the 2005 Acura RL has problems with some of its most heavily hawked features: The nav/traffic, the auto lock, the hands-free part of the nav/traffi/POI functions and AcuraLink. Fortunately, the frightening problems with the SH-AWD described by some owners seem limited. But they are borderline catastrophic failures and if and when these technical marvels go bust, we owe ourselves and our fellow owners to scream bloody murder.

As for the many electronic bugs, I am somewhat conflicted. Only a few months ago I had a scrap with a dealer in New York City that so infuriated me I took a one year old car with 5400 miles on it (and which I liked a great deal) to another dealer and traded it in on exactly the same model, albeit one year newer. You could say I traded in the dealer.

The problem was an oil change that kept leaking on my brand new driveway. It required four visits to the dealership, 140 miles of driving, 8 hours in this dealership's miserable waiting room and six hours in the car on a torture chamber known as the Belt Parkway during the rush hour.

On the fourth visit I stormed into the service manager's office, gave her a few salty opinions and pointed out how much better the service level was/is at the dealership on Long Island that sold me my other car.

"You can't expect the same level of service from a City dealer as you get on the Island or even in New Jersey," she said. [note the 'even' in front of NJ, fellow travelers from that fine state].

"Good advice," I said and the next morning I was on my way to LI for my replacement car. It cost me almost $5000 but it was worth it. As any New York driver can tell you, if you take your in-warranty car to another dealership, you're an instant orphan. They will repair it but they'll NEVER give you a loaner. That's just the way they are in this City of Heartbreaks.

At any rate, my point is that I haven't quite recovered sufficiently to take on another major scrap with a car dealer. For that reason, I have decided to take a wait-and-see approach to this -- for a while -- and enjoy the rest of the car while my dealership and Acura learn their craft.

I don't think it will be long. On the phone the other day, my contact remained uninformed but I could sort of sense the redness of his face as he hemmed and hawed. I think they are dancing as fast as they can but will make progress soon.

It is presumptious of me to suggest what you should do, Blue, but allow me to recommend that you give the car and its organization just a little more time -- not for their sake, for yours. Otherwise, you'll just rue the day you fell for this hype and turn sour on the whole damn car. And then you won't enjoy yourself in the spring as you sit in your driveway, trying to enjoy your $50,000 dream, fumbling with that silly-ass little key and the ignition cap, because your space-age fob doesn't work any more. I'm not making light of this, Blue, because I feel your pain. I really do. Trust me...
Oh Jeez -- ain't technology great?
Old 01-12-2005, 01:21 AM
Instructor

I just wanted to follow up with a message to all you owners who may have problems, DON'T STAND FOR IT. My car is perfection so far (about 2500 miles and counting). So from experience, I can tell you that the new RL can work perfectly.

If there really is some gigantic problem at the service end, I can't comment. I've had no problems. But boy would I be singing out of the other side of my mouth if I had.

As it is, I have a vehicle that's all virtue and no vice. And, in my opinion, you shouldn't settle for anything less.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:45 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by mungoac
[note the 'even' in front of NJ, fellow travelers from that fine state].
Duly noted.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:09 AM
Racer

Mungoac:

Thank you for sharing your extraordinary experience. You went through much in your quest to "trade-in" your dealer. I would not mind doing the same, and for that matter, do the same with the car.

At my stage in life, I am welling to pay to have peace of mind. This makes it so much more unacceptable with the RL experience. But you are so right; I need to be more patience for my benefit.

I live in Boston, so I thought that it may be an attitude issue with people in this region. But then, it doesn't explain it as my Lexus experience is entirely pleasant. It is interesting what your service manager said about the levels of service. What a poor excuse for an organization's failure.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:42 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I think people who feel the RL is overrated are simply conflicted as to why their own favored German manufacturer has not managed to step up and provide the same level of value and equipment as Acura. The RL is an exceptional vehicle, but its purpose is to serve as a luxurious means of transport with athletic handling belying its nearly 2 ton weight and large size, which the car manages to accomplish admirably. Admittedly, it does not provide the same level of driver feedback as a BMW, but not everyone is looking for that. Admittedly the 260 lb-ft. of torque seems a tad low on paper, but once you drive the car, you discover that it is more than adequate to get the car moving. 300 hp does seem like a number that people are touting for performance sakes, but it's only one aspect of this car. This is a vehicle that does so many things well that it is easy to overlook the minor foibles that come with making compromises.

Honestly, the RL is a virtual Swiss Army knife compared to its competition, especially the German competitiors who have priced their cars several thousands of dollars higher when equipped with similar levels of technology. The RL is also competitive with all of its competition in virtually all other areas, making it very easy to compare its to V6 powered cars in other manufacturers stables.

For those seeking a rewarding ownership experience, the RL is hard to beat for its technology, driving comfort, available performance capabilities, nicely appointed interior, and excellent value. I drove one and enjoyed the experience (though it's a little rich for my blood right now) and I think anyone who takes the time to actually test drive the car thoroughly will agree with me that the car feels and drives better in person than the magazines give it credit.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:49 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DCRL
I find myself loving these tug-of-wars waged over the new RL. Who says this car is bland, considering that it engenders such high emotion from so many?

I love the European stalwarts who claim that German brands have a tighter overall structure and drive with the solidity of a vault on wheels. Tell that to the E Class I unloaded that sounded like a bucket of bolts. Or tell it the brand new 2005 4Matics I tried out before I bought my RL. (2005 Mercedes E Class models were available well before the RL's introduction.) I drove three 4Matics and every single one of them felt like there was way too much machinery between myself and the road. None of them drove, rode, or felt as "tight" as the RL. And I don't care how many people feel otherwise. Heck, the BMW models I tried were inferior to the previous generation (ending in 2003) of BMWs! And those older cars didn't have BMW's less than intuitive (but highly combative) iDrive.

I especially love the constant mention of the M class. First, I have to be honest and tell you that (to me) the car looks like last year's Chevy Impala (especially around the back of the greenhouse). Even the new Impalas had the sense to back away from such a tired look. And the "almost fastback" style went out of style a decade ago. Looks may not be everything, but in $50,000 cars, it ought to count for something. (The RL shines in this department for me. I've never driven a car that's elicited such stares and positive comments from strangers. That includes my then-new Mercedes. Maybe its the Nighhawk Black finish or the constant shine I keep on my RL, but I can't argue with success.) BTW, the Chrysler 300C I tested was (again, to me) ugly, inside and out. Its interior was awash in cheap plastics. And I hated the inability to see out through windows designed like slits.

Another thing I particularly love is the the clash over 0-60 times. From the clocked 6.5 seconds quoted by Motorweek, to the 6.7's people now spew as gospel, I don't care! I'd ride this baby if she took 8 seconds, even 9. The ride is too sweet to ignore, which is what you have to do to honestly knock the RL. No car I've driven has ever pampered me as totally and delivered so many extras while doing so. I make calls from the car by intoning a few words, I get my directions to unknown destinations by barely whispering and if I'm looking for the nearest restaurant, my RL just wants to know the cuisine I'm seeking. Hell, the damn system even rates them for me!

I go whisking around corners like I was riding rails drilled into the road just for me. I travel in near silence and listen to music like few have ever heard in a stock audio system. The nav screen shows me every track on my media, mp3 or CD (I know how to add text) and even reads the titles to me. And XM fills in when I forget my discs.

This is a dream car for me. Rant on if you must about the new M, the Germans, and all the rest. Acura hit the bull's-eye that I wanted targeted.

And if you are looking for me to (at least) mention problems with the NavTraffic or door locking/unlocking, sorry. My car works perfectly and has from day one. The doors open at the first touch. And they lock instantly at the touch of that outer dimple. The NavTraffic screen always alerts me to problems up ahead. And every other system I've tried works impeccably. (Either I speak perfect english, or the voice activated system in my RL is a mind reader.) In other words, my RL is everything Acura said it would be.

After reading so much stuff online about this problem or that, this competitor or that one, I just had to let some of you know, the RL delivers. And thanks to Acura and to my attentive dealer (Chevy Chase Acura), so far, I'm on cloud nine.
DCRL, you have taken the words right out of my mouth. I've never owned a car that has been so intuitive and amazing. And when I need it to perform, it does.

And BTW, for everyone who is so high on the M, and thinks the RL is "bland" or "looks like an Accord", here is an excerpt from Automobile Magazine's Feb. issue...

"Step outside the M, and behold... what? A generic Asian-sedan shape with a big, bland rear bumper, a C-pillar kink borrowed from BMW, and a handsome grille plastered with a logo that's largely meaningless to America's luxury-car buyers. At first glance, you might think the M35/M45 is a gussied-up Nissan Maxima or Altima. This car has lots of style, but it's generic style. Infiniti surely has learned from the FX that captivating design, combined with world-class engineering and performance, is its ticket to the big time."

In all fairness, the M received great comments for its interior fit/finish and for its BMW-like handling. But if the RL is "Asianonymous", so is the M.

Sorry, don't want to turn this into an M35/45 discussion. I love everything about my RL and, at 1700 miles, have experienced absolutely no problems. I alternate driving my FX and RL to work, and even though the FX is a great RWD-based handler with lots of torque, the RL is the one I look forward to driving in the daily commute. Acura hit the target market with me as well.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:32 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

I would like to echo DCRL's comments by stating that I'm a "Day One" (10-14-04) owner of an 05' RL and to date, I've experienced absolutely no problems (knock on wood) - my vehicle has 5,700 miles on its been flawless! Everything works as advertised...
Old 01-12-2005, 10:08 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
DCRL said: The nav screen shows me every track on my media, mp3 or CD (I know how to add text) and even reads the titles to me. And XM fills in when I forget my discs.
I know you already talked about this in another thread DCRL, but I still haven't been successful in adding the text to CDs (and ideally MP3s) I burn myself. You wouldn't consider writing a synopsis (or start a new thread) of the steps involved in doing this would you. I am sure others besides me would appreciate this too ...

Athough I have Roxio, iTunes, and Musicmatch, I would be happy to purchase software that it would take (Windows PC) to get this to work.

As an aside, wouldn't it be cool for car manufactures to include a little drawer to drop your iPOD in and it would automatically synch and be available to play on your car stereo complete with the iPod display showing up on you nav screen?? I hope Acura and others are working on this. (Although BMW has something like this, I understand it is not too "seamless").

Regards, Joe
Old 01-12-2005, 10:10 AM
office monkey

If the RL is over rated then I dont know what car is under rated or rated perfectly. Seriously.

IMO the RL is about 95% the car the Lexus LS430 is and truthfully is an overall better package since the price is a lot less and the fact it also handles better. If that doesnt speak volumes of how great the RL is then I don't know what does...

If people (especially those who havent driven it or even sat in it) wish to think the RL is overrated or whatever then hey, they can feel free to think that. I'll keep enjoying my overrated car with a smile on my face.

DCRL basically said everything that needs to be said about this car.

Oh and I too think the M's exterior isn't that impressive. The RL is IMO the best looking sedan in its class. I felt this before I even got the car. If BMW kept the previous 5 series styling I'd think it was the best looker but they ruined the look of that car. Oh and the MB E class is a close 2nd to me in looks behind the RL.

I find the 2006 GS to look hideous based on pictures.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:14 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rob L
If the RL is over rated then I dont know what car is under rated or rated perfectly. Seriously.

IMO the RL is about 95% the car the Lexus LS430 is and truthfully is an overall better package since the price is a lot less and the fact it also handles better. If that doesnt speak volumes of how great the RL is then I don't know what does...

If people (especially those who havent driven it or even sat in it) wish to think the RL is overrated or whatever then hey, they can feel free to think that. I'll keep enjoying my overrated car with a smile on my face.

DCRL basically said everything that needs to be said about this car.

Oh and I too think the M's exterior isn't that impressive. The RL is IMO the best looking sedan in its class. I felt this before I even got the car. If BMW kept the previous 5 series styling I'd think it was the best looker but they ruined the look of that car. Oh and the MB E class is a close 2nd to me in looks behind the RL.

I find the 2006 GS to look hideous based on pictures.

Well, Rob, I'll give you one car that was rated perfectly: A few years ago the New York Times praised the much-lamented Yugo for its wonderful, heated rear window. This was very popular among the owners, the newspape said, because it made the car so much nicer to push in the winter.

As for the RL, the rating -- any rating -- won't really be valid until Acura has debugged it, so we can see how our new toys work. But everything looks promising, judging from the owners who report zero glitches. And they seem to be having one hell of a fine time with this buggy.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:33 PM
8-)
...just another stooge...

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
I think people who feel the RL is overrated are simply conflicted as to why their own favored German manufacturer has not managed to step up and provide the same level of value and equipment as Acura. The RL is an exceptional vehicle, but its purpose is to serve as a luxurious means of transport with athletic handling belying its nearly 2 ton weight and large size, which the car manages to accomplish admirably. Admittedly, it does not provide the same level of driver feedback as a BMW, but not everyone is looking for that. Admittedly the 260 lb-ft. of torque seems a tad low on paper, but once you drive the car, you discover that it is more than adequate to get the car moving. 300 hp does seem like a number that people are touting for performance sakes, but it's only one aspect of this car. This is a vehicle that does so many things well that it is easy to overlook the minor foibles that come with making compromises.

Honestly, the RL is a virtual Swiss Army knife compared to its competition, especially the German competitiors who have priced their cars several thousands of dollars higher when equipped with similar levels of technology. The RL is also competitive with all of its competition in virtually all other areas, making it very easy to compare its to V6 powered cars in other manufacturers stables.

For those seeking a rewarding ownership experience, the RL is hard to beat for its technology, driving comfort, available performance capabilities, nicely appointed interior, and excellent value. I drove one and enjoyed the experience (though it's a little rich for my blood right now) and I think anyone who takes the time to actually test drive the car thoroughly will agree with me that the car feels and drives better in person than the magazines give it credit.
Nicely said, I agree.

Some day I'll have to stop being lazy and actually write in paragraphs instead of just agreeing with our members. But then, some posters here have done a really great job of expressing the joy that goes with driving the RL.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:59 PM
Instructor

This afternoon, my joy driving the RL was halted by a gigantic metal screw that I found in the left rear tire. I was instantly alerted thanks to the tire pressure monitor. It reported a 12 psi drop and I pulled over to discover the huge projectile. Unfortunately, the screw had ripped deep into the tire, especially along the sidewall. I carry a great little pump in the trunk and sprang into action, inflating the tire enough to reach my dealer (Chevy Chase Acura) in nearby Maryland.

I called ahead to the service department (using the onboard hands-free system) and confirmed a new replacement tire was available should I need it. Upon arrival, the service people (and I) concluded the damage was too extensive for a patch and they installed the new tire (at my expense) in less than an hour and returned the car to me washed and ready to roll. (I barely had time to grab a bite of lunch.) The service was everything it should have been. (Though I now regret I didn't take out the road hazard option the dealer had offered at delivery.) I'm out the cost of a tire, but my RL was back in top running order amazingly quick. This car's tire monitoring system proved to be a life saver. I never saw the tire damage (must be going blind!) and could easily have had an accident before I discovered it.

Another poster mentioned text displaying on discs in the audio system, legendguy, I believe. I also burn my CDs and mp3 discs with Roxio software, but I'm a Mac user, so I burn with Roxio's Toast. It has a check off in the menus for CD text. I keep that one checked all the time. Perhaps the Roxio Windows software offers a similar option. (Any Windows experts who could comment?)
Old 01-13-2005, 08:28 AM
office monkey

mungoac,

haha nice. Time to go get a Yugo! hehe
Old 01-13-2005, 10:31 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This afternoon, my joy driving the RL was halted by a gigantic metal screw that I found in the left rear tire. I was instantly alerted thanks to the tire pressure monitor. It reported a 12 psi drop and I pulled over to discover the huge projectile. Unfortunately, the screw had ripped deep into the tire, especially along the sidewall. I carry a great little pump in the trunk and sprang into action, inflating the tire enough to reach my dealer (Chevy Chase Acura) in nearby Maryland.

I called ahead to the service department (using the onboard hands-free system) and confirmed a new replacement tire was available should I need it. Upon arrival, the service people (and I) concluded the damage was too extensive for a patch and they installed the new tire (at my expense) in less than an hour and returned the car to me washed and ready to roll. (I barely had time to grab a bite of lunch.) The service was everything it should have been. (Though I now regret I didn't take out the road hazard option the dealer had offered at delivery.) I'm out the cost of a tire, but my RL was back in top running order amazingly quick. This car's tire monitoring system proved to be a life saver. I never saw the tire damage (must be going blind!) and could easily have had an accident before I discovered it.

Another poster mentioned text displaying on discs in the audio system, legendguy, I believe. I also burn my CDs and mp3 discs with Roxio software, but I'm a Mac user, so I burn with Roxio's Toast. It has a check off in the menus for CD text. I keep that one checked all the time. Perhaps the Roxio Windows software offers a similar option. (Any Windows experts who could comment?)
That's a great story. Thanks for sharing your very positive service experience.

Re: CD's showing track titles... I just purchased Duran Duran's latest CD, "Astronaut" and the Album and Track Titles show on the nav screen. That's the only CD I have that displays those items.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:16 AM
Intermediate

I just wanted to follow up with a message to all you owners who may have problems, DON'T STAND FOR IT. My car is perfection so far (about 2500 miles and counting). So from experience, I can tell you that the new RL can work perfectly.

If there really is some gigantic problem at the service end, I can't comment. I've had no problems. But boy would I be singing out of the other side of my mouth if I had.

As it is, I have a vehicle that's all virtue and no vice. And, in my opinion, you shouldn't settle for anything less.
My RL has been perfect as well. I'm totally satisfied.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:20 AM
Intermediate

Very nice. I drove up tonight from a meeting in DC and did some maneuvers in the rain. RL is indeed a fun car to drive. What phone are you using for Bluetooth? I want to make sure the model I get works the best with the RL.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:14 AM
Instructor

I use the new Motorola Razor phone. Synced immediately with the RL and works like a charm.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:36 PM
Cruisin'

I purchased the wheel/tire thingy from Acura that covers any road hazards to my tire and wheel. It cost me about 350.00, but I figure if I use it only once, it pays for itself. (It's good for 4 years) Also, they cover the wheel if anything happens to it.
Good to know that the Tire Pressure system works well though...