What color to paint Caliper?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 11:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by BDoggPrelude
Gloss, flat, wrinkled...I don't think you can go wrong with black.
Yep, everything looks better in black. Don't rice it.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
Yea I have gloss black, looks factory but still noticeable. I see people looking at my calipers all of the time. Colored calipers (other than black or silver) just look like you are screaming you want to have a fast or sporty car but you dont unless its BBK. Once you get to a certain size, any color looks good. Just my though
Old 07-13-2012, 07:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
The subtlety of the original calipers with the tasteful Acura on them is what keeps the RL in the class that was intended. If you must paint something then paint the rotor - at least it will be temporary.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:06 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
I'm with L's TL. black would look "modded" but subtle and still classy. maybe silver like Zelaya had... but red/blue/etc.. all those bright colors IMHO do NOT work on an RL. on a porsche... yeah, put on red calipers with bright white Porsche decals... on an RL it looks out of place.

L's TL - did you paint the Acura logo white or leave it untouched/silver? how did you mask off the letters? did you paint the calipers while on the car or did you pull them off?>

di dyou paint them with a spray can or with paint on paint? I did calipers on a prior car with the G2 epoxy kit and you paint it on... it becomes very glossy and it's thick... it was hard to get the coating even... so i wound up with some little runs.. but unless you on your hands/knees looking at it, it looked great. some of the spray on kits dry in a flat color...and look like a home made job... the epoxy based paints are glossy and dry with a hard glossy finish and if you do it right - they can look like a factory job...

i'm thinking black... but maybe leave the letters alone and keep them the stock silver color.. black with white letters might be too loud.. too much contrast. ?

or what about on my car...which is carbon gray.. painting the calipers the same color as the car? carbon gray calipes to match the exterior... might look nice?

i don't know if i could find a caliper paint kit in the same color though....
Old 07-16-2012, 09:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 23109VC
I'm with L's TL. black would look "modded" but subtle and still classy. maybe silver like Zelaya had... but red/blue/etc.. all those bright colors IMHO do NOT work on an RL. on a porsche... yeah, put on red calipers with bright white Porsche decals... on an RL it looks out of place.

L's TL - did you paint the Acura logo white or leave it untouched/silver? how did you mask off the letters? did you paint the calipers while on the car or did you pull them off?>

di dyou paint them with a spray can or with paint on paint? I did calipers on a prior car with the G2 epoxy kit and you paint it on... it becomes very glossy and it's thick... it was hard to get the coating even... so i wound up with some little runs.. but unless you on your hands/knees looking at it, it looked great. some of the spray on kits dry in a flat color...and look like a home made job... the epoxy based paints are glossy and dry with a hard glossy finish and if you do it right - they can look like a factory job...

i'm thinking black... but maybe leave the letters alone and keep them the stock silver color.. black with white letters might be too loud.. too much contrast. ?

or what about on my car...which is carbon gray.. painting the calipers the same color as the car? carbon gray calipes to match the exterior... might look nice?

i don't know if i could find a caliper paint kit in the same color though....
I used high temp black caliper paint from advanced auto parts in the can. I painted them while on the car. I then took a very thin paint brush and brushed white spray paint onto the letters. After all of the various coats dried I cleared them with a high temp clear gloss. Havent had any chips or anything in the year (~20K miles) its been on. Still looks new and glossy after a car wash. Leaving the letters machined wouldve looked better and was my first option but it was just too hotside and too tedious to mask off those little letters for me. Especially since I have large hands.

For a gray car I would probably do gray or silver. I did a lexus with the same paint code as the car (it was some kind of gray) and it looked good. You'd have to get the paint code in a can and then use high temp primer and clearcoat to ensure it stays on.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:14 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Totally disagree! Bright colors set off.. The car, I've had nothing but compliments on my calipers, and everyone thinks they are factory, so for bright colors not to work is not accurate IMHO!
Old 07-16-2012, 02:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
I WANNA SEE OPULENT BLUE!

i
The following users liked this post:
projektvertx (07-16-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 09:22 AM
Suzuka Master

^^ Thatd be nice