Went car shopping

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 09:05 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Went car shopping

MY 2006 RL has 70k and has been nearly flawless. Like many others I truly wish Acura would bring the RL along, and improve Hp, performance and design, to create a true Acura flagship.
Drove M37x, 535xi, looked at A7 and used S6. All great vehicles with many attributes that are compelling, but each have some issues that make it very tough to say that the new car is way better and worth the cost to replace the RL.

So..... decided the RL is great and will soldier on with some new tires come winter and what ever else it may need. Hope Acura does the Rl proud and brings out a fresh design to make the model significant again.

added a 2007 Corvette, Monterey Red, Z51, 3LT 6 speed manual to the stable to join the RL and MDX
Old 06-03-2011, 09:04 AM
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I am in the same boat. i have been looking for the last several months; drove mb e class half a dozen times( trying to convince myself to buy it ); bmw and i am now thinking about looking at the infiniti M hybrid.
so far none gives me everything i like about the Acura.
I just wish Acura would at least release some details on what the next RL will be like and give me something to look forward to.
If the silence continues much longer i am just going to bite the bullet and buy something else.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I have heard that the next gen RL will be along the lines of the BMW750 class of vehicle this time. I think everyone is getting heat from Hyundai's new models. There is a lot of preassure to deliver high tech and high quality.

Has anyone test driven the great new Jag's? XF & the XJ? My knee's get weak when I walk by a parked XJ. I'd love to hear the comparison with our RL's.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
XJ is faster and not as reliable. comparison over...

or you can do some research and check out some ratings, try www.caranddriver.com, cars.com, edmunds.com
Old 06-04-2011, 04:15 PM
Racer

would be very hesitant to get a Jag again, due to reliability. The guys at TopGear had a longterm XJ and actually had to have Jag replace the car after total electronic meltdown. Jag told them it was a early production.

From the magazine:
Feb 2011 page 180 jaguar XJ long term test reg ak10 zzd

Here is the article WORD FOR WORD.

“After 4 mths of constant niggles and some serious issues it is time to call it a day on ak10 zzd and what has been the most unreliable long termer in 10 years. I love the styling, interior and the big jags anility to be both a limo and sprightly to drive. Realistically if you bought this for £67k from a dealer it would have ended up back on the forecourt some time ago.

It started badly being delivered with a flat offside front tyre and a large screw in the rear nearside. The litany of crapness then progressed to floppy trim, a stereo option that couldn’t handle certain frequencies, broken headlights, windscreen wipers that fell off at 70mph in a rainstorm and various flashes from the electronics. The last of which culminated in a totalsystem meltdown-after switching the tracion control off to allow a bit of wheelspin up a snowy lane, the traction control not only failed to re-engage but seemed to cause a failure of the entire suite of electronic helpers. So we had a full screen of pretty lights and so many failure messages that they were forced to constantly cycle on the digital dash. Emergency Brake Assist Not available, adadptive dynamics fault, stability control not available, ABS fault – and while losing thesetypes of functions essentially makes the XJ some sort of big basic car that I learned to drive in, it is not the kind of thing trhat inspires confidence, (where have I heard that before J) As I say if this really were my car, I’d be annoyed to say the least. Then as a final gasp the dash reverted to “start up” screen of a Jaguar Leaper, before winking out to a tiny white dot for five minutes. The car was running at the time but my patience had already run out. Then the article goes on to say that Jaguar have offered them another vehicle.

Further down the page next to an array of dash error pictures it lists the

“bad stuff”

Notice that the windscreen trim on nearside broken. At 70MPH it vibrates. Took ages to find-car never even been in a car wash.

Trim under steering column keeps popping off – not a huge problem, but still annoying.

Touchscreen has started to be more and more recalcitrant. Cold weather?

Electronic meltdown. All dynamic electronic systems decide to fail.

Digital dash fails- can you drive legally with no speedo?

Decide that ak10 zzd is not far from leaving me by the side of the road.”
Old 06-04-2011, 05:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,249 Likes on 4,859 Posts
There is a saying about Jaguars that goes, "if you are buying 1, get 2 because one will always be in the shop." There was a reliabilty report talked about here not too long ago that had Jag ahead of Honda. I think most of us discedited the report and stopped reading right there.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Hey kssod, nice pickup. I, of course, wanted a 'vette I could drive every day, thus the V.

You should come to a Cars and Coffee meet (1st and 3rd Saturdays each month) to show it off.

Glad to read that your RL is keeping up with age. Waiting for Acura to release anything about the next RL.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:45 PM
Racer

send me a link to the location thanks
Old 06-08-2011, 09:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by kssod
send me a link to the location thanks
No link needed.
1st and 3rd Saturdays of the month, 8:30-10:30, May-October, at Starbucks on Vista Way, Garfield Heights. This is the first exit immediately east of the Valley View Bridge on I-480. I'm usually there with my S2000 but do bring the V as well. I try to get there once a month, depends on whether I'm on call.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:19 AM
Racer

Sat are hard, usually work, Might try the Solon cruise in some tuesday. thanks for the warm wishes