Weird AFS headlight issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015 | 10:48 PM
Cruisin'

Weird AFS headlight issue

Hey guys. I just purchased an 05 RL and so far I'm loving it. The car had a few issues that i'm currently taking care of. One of which was a leaking axle seal on the front left. I just finished it at my buddy's shop since he has a lift. After taking it out on a test drive, everything was fine but then the AFS light started flashing with the error message on the display. The past couple days, the right headlight has been flickering and then eventually goes out completely. I'd turn the headlights off and then turn them back on, and same thing few minutes later. I pulled into my driveway after the axle seal repair and shut the car off, and turned it back on. The right headlight did the initialization but the left headlight didn't move at all. I'm gonna true disconnecting the battery to see if it can clear whatever hick up it has. If it matters, the car does have a weak battery but i will be replacing that first thing tomorrow morning anyway. Also, I will be taking off the front left wheel off tomorrow to see if I may have damaged anything.

I'm coming to you guys to see if there's anything I should look for specifically or anything of that nature. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hewad
Old 04-24-2015 | 10:50 PM
Cruisin'

Also would like to note that the car has no other electrical problems, it's all maintenance/mechanical.

And I will be ordering new headlight bulbs since they're kinda weak anyway.
Old 04-25-2015 | 11:22 AM
Pro

Right headlight only initialization on startup is perfectly normal. The left headlight does NOT swivel on startup to avoid shining into potential traffic if you are parallel parked on a street somewhere. It is working as designed. All RLs are like this.
Old 04-25-2015 | 02:04 PM
Advanced

My 05 did these things you mentioned.
AFS fashing is a false waring and dealers could not fix it. Turn off engine and restart.
Flicker HIDs, replaced both bulbs with the Philips ones, Osrams are stock but couldn't find them.
Use high quality bulbs only, since bulb replacement may need front bumper replacement.

There is a motion sensor adjust the headlight beam, located by driver side rear wheel i had replaced also.
Old 04-25-2015 | 10:49 PM
Cruisin'

I think it might be the sensor. I was playing with the scanner today and got a b2141 code. I was able to run function tests and could move both headlight motors without any issues. I may try the cheap resistor fix first to confirm and see if it is the stroke sensor before I spend $200 on a new sensor.

Also, I did order two Philips bulbs as well. I'll keep you guys posted as I attempt at repairing this.

Thanks for the help, guys!
Old 04-26-2015 | 05:59 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by wardak33
I think it might be the sensor. I was playing with the scanner today and got a b2141 code. I was able to run function tests and could move both headlight motors without any issues. I may try the cheap resistor fix first to confirm and see if it is the stroke sensor before I spend $200 on a new sensor.

Also, I did order two Philips bulbs as well. I'll keep you guys posted as I attempt at repairing this.

Thanks for the help, guys!
If it doesn't work, just get the sensor at the junkyard and make sure the inside is free of rust and seal it. (about $40)