Want suggestions: single phone provider

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 10:22 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want suggestions: single phone provider

I have too many telephones and telephone providers. I have one local and long distance provider, another provider for wireless cell usage and now with the RL, I have On Star.

Please suggest the way (if possible) I might consolidate and end up with a single provider that can handle local, long distance, mobile cell and my RL. Also, is it possible to have more than one single actual phone device for the phone number?
What I mean is one phone number that both my wife can use for each of our carry phone devices. Or can only one phone device be used for a single wireless phone number?
Old 07-10-2005, 10:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One phone number per device. You cannot share a single number between multiple phones.

Do you have cable modem at home? If so, you can get a service like vonage.com or callvantage.att.com. I suggest getting callvantage $30/month for all calls anytime anywhere in the U.S. (that would be your home phone). This is billed to your credit card. You can then have your cell phones from AT&T/Cingular.

You can have your callvantage service forward all calls to your house phone, and both your wife's and your cell phone. That way, whoever answers the call first gets it. The outgoing numbers (that will show up on the caller ID of people you are calling) will be different for each phone.

Obviously, with the cell phones you can get bluetooth enabled phones to use with the handsfreelink.

Your other option - you could get your cell phones on verizon, then have your onstar acccount added to your verizon account. Then your onstar personal calling and your cell phone bills will be attached.

I find all of these round about solutions - 1. There is really no need to use onstar to call if you get a bluetooth phone for the car. 2. Onstar bills your credit card, so you are still only getting two paper bills a month - home phone and cell phone - which you could cut down by getting the voice over IP (callvantage) and having that billed to your credit card.

But, if you want to combine your local and long distance provider... I suggest callvantage, the advantages: hell of a lot cheaper than your normal bill. Works fine, sounds like a normal land line, works with all your normal phones etc. The downside: if your cable modem isn't working or the power goes out, you can't use your land line (but, honestly, how often does that occur?)
Old 07-10-2005, 11:24 AM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shepsan
I have too many telephones and telephone providers. I have one local and long distance provider, another provider for wireless cell usage and now with the RL, I have On Star.

Please suggest the way (if possible) I might consolidate and end up with a single provider that can handle local, long distance, mobile cell and my RL. Also, is it possible to have more than one single actual phone device for the phone number?
What I mean is one phone number that both my wife can use for each of our carry phone devices. Or can only one phone device be used for a single wireless phone number?
There are several providers that provide more than one service. I have lived overseas for over 2 years, so I'm not up to date with offerings and companies in the states, but I do know this:

AT&T and Sprint offer all the services and many times give you offers that include multiple services or if you have one service they give you an incentive for another.

These services are long distance, Wireless, local phone, and high speed internet.

Some of these services might not be offered in your local area and that is where many of us can help you, because we don't live there.

I used to have AT&T for my cable TV service, cable internet, and phone service all in one bill and of course it came with some savings.

You might be looking at something like this from sprint PCS:

Imagine free unlimited calling between your PCS and home phone, with savings up to 10% (contingent on a voice package purchased with Sprint Home & On the Go) on your PCS monthly recurring charges! All of this can be packaged together on one bill and with only one number to call for all your service needs. Enjoy the convenience and simplicity of Sprint Home & On the Go!
Regular price $95.45
monthly savings $15.00
per month cost $80.45

I'm not sure about having one number on 2 phones. If you do then both phones would ring at the same time and if one is in use you can't use the other. I know in regular line you can is call MADN Multiple aperance directory number, where the number is share by multiple phones, but I don't know of this on wireless. Now you can have a single plan with multiple phones each having their own number, but using the same minutes.

On the onstar that is only offer by one service (onstar).
Old 07-10-2005, 12:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I forgot about sprints offer. You can get all local and long distance from them (unlimited) as well as unlimited cell phone usage. All combined in one bill. I believe the catch was that it was $100/month for the cell phone. This is an older program - 2-3 years ago. You have to call in to still get this program.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:19 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you gentlemen, I appreciate your good information and fast response.

Regards,