Two FOB's in the Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 12:29 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Two FOB's in the Car

Can you/how do you carry two FOB's in the RL at one time? Does #1 take precedent or do they interact with one another and create problems?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
which ever one unlocks the car last is the one that the car uses when it starts. If you want to be sure driver 1 is the driver, driver one must unlock the car (last) and if default settings, also unlock the passenger door. If the driver unlocks the driver's door and then the passenger unlocks the passenger door while carrying a fob, the car will start as the passenger's fob. Essentially this is to protect the driver. Example - driver gets in and a thug tries to open the passenger door - in the default settings it remains locked. If the passenger isn't carrying a fob the passenger door won't unlock for them.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,043 Likes on 848 Posts
Merlin is spot on, I've locked the car with D1 and at some point in the night D2 was used to access the car and it was not re-locked, when I got back in the next morning the car was still in D2 mode.

So I had to get out, lock the car, and get back in... PIA.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,249 Likes on 4,859 Posts
I have found the opposite to be true and the manual agrees. The manual states whichever fob the car "senses" first will be the one it sets the settings to and goes with, no interference. The only way to get to the other fob settings is to lock/unlock with the one you want.

My GF keeps her fob in her purse all the time. If she reaches the passenger side first, the seat and all other settings apply once I open the driver door. However, if I reach the driver door first, it will unlock the driver door only, and then she can unlock the passenger door (and all others) with her fob and my settings will still apply.

If your situation is similar to mine, just open the door for your girl and everything will work out fine. But like Blazing GT's signature states, I have a new car and soon to be new wife. Chivalry isn't dead, it's just hard to find.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:37 AM
Missing my

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I have never seen the car unlock only one door without the others... I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I have not had this experience. My wife keeps her key fob in her purse and I keep mine in my pocket.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by tnobori1
I have never seen the car unlock only one door without the others... I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I have not had this experience. My wife keeps her key fob in her purse and I keep mine in my pocket.
There is a setting you can use to unlock all doors or just the driver door from the driver door or first fob unlock. Like mentioned before, this is so no one can jump in your car from the other side when you unlock the driver door. The passenger door always unlocks all the doors. This has been standard, at least on Japanese cars, since the mid '90's.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:07 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by oo7spy
I have found the opposite to be true and the manual agrees. The manual states whichever fob the car "senses" first will be the one it sets the settings to and goes with, no interference. The only way to get to the other fob settings is to lock/unlock with the one you want.

My GF keeps her fob in her purse all the time. If she reaches the passenger side first, the seat and all other settings apply once I open the driver door. However, if I reach the driver door first, it will unlock the driver door only, and then she can unlock the passenger door (and all others) with her fob and my settings will still apply.

If your situation is similar to mine, just open the door for your girl and everything will work out fine. But like Blazing GT's signature states, I have a new car and soon to be new wife. Chivalry isn't dead, it's just hard to find.
wish it were so. If I unlock as D1 and Cathy opens her passenger door with D2 in her purse it will go to D2 instantly ever time. I then have to hit unlock on the D1 Fob. When we reverse Fobs and I am D2 and she is D1, same story - unless I unlock the whole car with the switch on the door, opening the passenger door unlocks the car again which changes it to her fob. We don't want to set the fob to unlock all doors for security reasons, it is just as easy for me to hit my fob unlock if she jumps and fails to wait for me to unlock. The dealer showed me every late RL on the lot works the same way.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 421 Likes on 315 Posts
Originally Posted by merlin the wrench
wish it were so. If I unlock as D1 and Cathy opens her passenger door with D2 in her purse it will go to D2 instantly ever time. I then have to hit unlock on the D1 Fob. When we reverse Fobs and I am D2 and she is D1, same story - unless I unlock the whole car with the switch on the door, opening the passenger door unlocks the car again which changes it to her fob. We don't want to set the fob to unlock all doors for security reasons, it is just as easy for me to hit my fob unlock if she jumps and fails to wait for me to unlock. The dealer showed me every late RL on the lot works the same way.
The "fix" is to open her door for her like a gentleman should
Old 03-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Senior Moderator

So I tried this agian tonight and open the driver door first. Then my GF opened the passenger door and all others unlocked. The driver seat did not move to position 2 so I thought, "surely it is on driver one settings." However, upon starting the car it said, "welcome driver 2". Sure enough, like others stated, the car sets up to who ever opens the doors last EXCEPT for the the seat settings. Since this is the only difference between the two settings in my car, it doesn't make a difference to me. But like getakey and I mentioned, just open the door for your girl, and all is well.