Turbo honda legend kb1 #2007 (acura rl #2005)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 03:13 PM
Crazy Russian

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Türk
Hey there.

I want to install DRL to my car like yours.

See the thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-2005-2012-76/where-put-drls-903320/

Can you give some comments on that thread?
What kind of system do you have? How are they activated else.

Kind regards,

Türk
We can discuss it here.
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-2005-2012-76/how-install-hella-drl-led-863335/
The following users liked this post:
HEAVY_RL (01-16-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 07:01 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi, MyKL!
You're very brave on your way to take maximum of Legend/RL))

Thanks and lots of questions:

1. Sound of warming engine is great, almost turbo-Subaru! How about real feelings on the road, is it smooth and boring on straight like before? Or it pushes you back in a seat and make you cry "yahooo?"))
2. Approx. cost of all done work
3. What do you think of reliability of transmission and drivetrain?
4. And why there is no report on Club Legend?
Old 01-21-2014, 06:40 PM
Crazy Russian

Hi Martin!

Originally Posted by Martin W
Hi, MyKL!
You're very brave on your way to take maximum of Legend/RL))

Thanks and lots of questions:

1. Sound of warming engine is great, almost turbo-Subaru! How about real feelings on the road, is it smooth and boring on straight like before? Or it pushes you back in a seat and make you cry "yahooo?"))
At the first week I was driving the Legend very carefully (1/3 of pedal movement) and I didn't get much emotion.
But the last two days I try 2/3 of pedal movement and and that can I say: IT'S UNREAL FEEEEELINGS!!
I feel all the horses under my feet.
Of course at the 4'th and 5'th gears is not so unreal boost as at the 1,2,3.

2. Approx. cost of all done work
It's depends on your wishes. From 7k$ to 30k$ (like Sandro).

3. What do you think of reliability of transmission and drivetrain?
All of tech guys said the transmission can work at 450HP. But I'm really worry about it that is why didn't try to get more power. The time will show.

4. And why there is no report on Club Legend?
Maybe a little bit later ))

Интересно, русский язык отобразится на этом форуме?
Old 01-21-2014, 07:11 PM
Crazy Russian

Sorry that I write in russian language but I can't explain it in english.

Ощущения необычные и неожиданные.
Во первых, отклик педали заметно резче даже с холостых, не знаю почему так, машина настроена так, что до момента раздува турбины, т.е. до 2500 оборотов, едет по заводской прошивке как полностью на стоке. Но даже так бодрее чем было.
после 2500 постепенно включается турбина и это чувствуется появлением напряжения под ногами и машина как бы сбрасывает тонну лишнего веса ))
после 4000 включается втек и турбина раздувается на полную мощность. тут включается второй контур топливных реек и меня начинает вдавливать в кресло )))) Если по другому сказать, то что чувствовалось раньше на 6000 оборотах на второй передаче, теперь чувствуется на 3500 и на третье.

Конечно на четвёртой и пятой передаче уже так не вдавливает. Но я их не разгонял до 5000 оборотов, потому что скорость растёт очень быстро, а зимой опасно это.

Очень странно оказалось что даже из спокойного режима машина моментально переходит в форсаж если притопить педаль. Я думал будет турбо лаг или что то типа того. Но оказалось всё намного лучше чем было. Стоит немного утопить педаль и ты выстреливаешь. Это непередаваемо. Я сегодня чуть не убился когда проскакивал в дырку между машин.

Ещё как можно описать?
Скажем так: есть мотоцикл, которому требуется 100 лошадей чтобы он быстро ехал и если ему сделать 150лс (+50%), то он полетит.
Вот Легенда со своими 250лс еле тащится, ей надо 500+ чтобы она полетела. Мои 360 (+50%) - это некий компромисс при котором она начинает ехать быстрее, но она не поедет быстрее чипанутого хотхетча. Надо это понимать и не испытывать иллюзий. 360 сил её приблизило к 500, но не заставило летать.

Знаю что со временем мне станет недостаточно сегодняшнего результата, поэтому я потихоньку готовлюсь к 500+ ))))
Легенда, конечно, не для этого создавалась, но скорость ей к лицу )).
Martin W (01-22-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 07:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,043 Likes on 848 Posts
why not on club legend.

Originally Posted by MyKL
Maybe a little bit later ))

Интересно, русский язык отобразится на этом форуме?
He said, the Russian language is displayed on this forum
Old 01-21-2014, 07:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Sorry that I write in russian language but I can't explain it in english.
Straight out of google

Unusual and unexpected sensations .
Firstly , the response pedal noticeably sharper even at idle , I do not know why, the machine is set so that, until blowing turbine , ie up to 2500 rpm , driving on the factory firmware as entirely in stock . But even so cheerful than it was.
gradually after 2500 includes a turbine and it is felt advent voltage underfoot and resets the machine as if a ton of excess weight
after 4000 included VTEC turbine and inflated to full capacity. then start the second loop fuel rails and I was beginning to be pressed into the chair
If you say differently , what felt before 6000 rpm in second gear , now felt in 3500 and the third .

Of course , at the fourth and fifth gear they have no dents . But I have not clocked up to 5000 rpm , because the speed is growing very rapidly , and in winter it is dangerous .

Very strange that even turned from quiet mode machine immediately goes into afterburner if imbedded pedal . I thought it would be turbo lag or something like that . But it turned out much better than it was. Worth a little pedal and you drown shoots . It is inexpressibly . Today I just was not killed when slipped into a hole between machines.

More can be described as
Let's just say there is a motorcycle, which requires 100 horses that he rode fast and if he do 150HP (+50%) , it will fly .
That Legend with its 250ls hardly dragged , she had 500 + so that it flew . My 360 ( 50 %) - it is a compromise in which she starts to go faster , but it does not go faster . We must understand this and have no illusions . 360 forces it closer to 500 , but not forced to fly.

I know that eventually I will be the result of not enough today , so I am slowly preparing for 500 +
Legend certainly not created for this , but the speed suits her.

Last edited by HEAVY_RL; 01-21-2014 at 07:30 PM.
MyKL (01-21-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 07:32 PM
Crazy Russian

chipanutogo hothetcha - Golf R chip Revo st1 for example ))))
Old 01-21-2014, 09:02 PM
Suzuka Master

yea that does not translate
Old 01-22-2014, 05:13 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HEAVY_RL
yea that does not translate
"Hothetch" - that was untranslatable double transliteration for "hot hatchback"

But Golf R or Subaru STI doesn't have interior and sound insulation of Legend (and weight ), so the question is not about making Legend the fastest car, but about compensation of its weak sides.

So, to give a 2004 model second birth and 2014 performance we must:
1. Spend from 7k$ to 30k$ cash. 7k$ is ok, but 30k$? Are there such amount of tuning accessories for Legend on such sum?
And who is Sandro?)
2. Drivetrain reliability - may be there is some experience from 4G TL? In case of RL - I think you know of Spoon RL, sport version of our car, project that was cancelled when they received drivetrain problems on a track.
3. About emotions, thanks for detailed reply - as I understand everything ok and the game is worth the candle.
HEAVY_RL (01-22-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 08:57 AM
Crazy Russian

But Golf R or Subaru STI doesn't have interior and sound insulation of Legend (and weight ), so the question is not about making Legend the fastest car, but about compensation of its weak sides.

So, to give a 2004 model second birth and 2014 performance we must:
1. Spend from 7k$ to 30k$ cash. 7k$ is ok, but 30k$? Are there such amount of tuning accessories for Legend on such sum?
And who is Sandro?)
2. Drivetrain reliability - may be there is some experience from 4G TL? In case of RL - I think you know of Spoon RL, sport version of our car, project that was cancelled when they received drivetrain problems on a track.
3. About emotions, thanks for detailed reply - as I understand everything ok and the game is worth the candle.
about Sandro
Look at his project:
https://acurazine.com/forums/zdx-326/announcing-my-twin-turbo-zdx-project-889142/
GTT is making his ZDX

Drivetrain reliability - ? напиши по-русски что ты имеешь ввиду ))) я не понял. SHAWD?

The owner 4G TL wait comptech kit around 2 year. Although I think they could do a long time ago like I do the turbo.

And I also think that nobody wants to do korch (race car) with stand alone ECU (AEM, Motec and other) but in the same time nobody crack orig Honda ECU except Mura R2Racing.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:01 AM
Crazy Russian

Martin W
If you live in Moscow we can meet each other. And you will decide do or not to do turbo.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:08 AM
Suzuka Master

hahaha, thats what I kept getting but I thought to myself "that cant be right"
Old 01-23-2014, 11:51 AM
Intermediate

about Sandro
Look at his project:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=889142
GTT is making his ZDX
Вах! Wow, Sandro is really crazy (in good meaning of this word)))
Take 50-60 k$ (cost of used ZDX imported from US to Russia), add 30 k$ for an experimental tuning solution and you'll (maybe, if car isn't gonna blow) receive unique and wonderful car.

Drivetrain reliability - ? напиши по-русски что ты имеешь ввиду ))) я не понял. SHAWD?
Ну да, карбоновый кардан, электромагнитные сцепления и привода до колес. В принципе, при ускорении по прямой, из-за равномерного распределения нагрузки (50:50, 40:60, 30:70) и в надежде что Хонда заложила запас прочности , можно рассчитывать на долгую работу всей системы. Но вот если в крутом повороте все 400 лошадей уйдут на одно заднее колесо... )

The owner 4G TL wait comptech kit around 2 year. Although I think they could do a long time ago like I do the turbo.

And I also think that nobody wants to do korch (race car) with stand alone ECU (AEM, Motec and other) but in the same time nobody crack orig Honda ECU except Mura R2Racing.
Strange, about 100-150k 4G TL were sold and nobody boosted it..
Old 01-23-2014, 12:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,249 Likes on 4,859 Posts
...Spoon RL, sport version of our car, project that was cancelled when they received drivetrain problems on a track.
The project wasn't cancelled. The car entered an endurance race and hit a piece of debris. The damage had nothing to do with the RL drive train reliability.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Martin, not so kewl stoary brah...
Old 01-23-2014, 12:40 PM
Intermediate

Martin W
If you live in Moscow we can meet each other. And you will decide do or not to do turbo.
Thanks, it will be very interesting meeting and I am very eager to make my 05 RL something more than just a smooth comfortable ride. I was thinking about Comptech compressor from 3G TL (like one guy did here, in Acurazine) but it was much more complicated decision than your and it would be practically impossible to make it in Russia.

By the way, now my car is under the big repair after an accident with heater (radiator). The damn thing blown up two weeks ago and took some part of AT with itself

So, I decided to change almost everything under the hood:
1. Rebuild AT (it had very hard shift from parking to drive in summer, and after shown above accident (ATF have mixed with antifreeze), I cannot trust AT anymore, without rebuilding).
2. New timing belt
3. Adjustment of valves
4. New radiator (heater)
5. New fluids and filters
6. New engine mounts (they suddenly died, all at once)

As a result I will receive almost new RL in three weeks, maybe its perfomance will be better then before
Old 01-23-2014, 02:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Pics of the blow up carnage!!!!!! Please!!!!
Old 01-23-2014, 02:20 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by oo7spy
The project wasn't cancelled. The car entered an endurance race and hit a piece of debris. The damage had nothing to do with the RL drive train reliability.
Yes, you're right, the problem was with engine after crash with debris. Sorry for misinformation. I read about Spoon RL two years ago, foreign language and inexorable time had left wrong impression in memory. I'd mistaken, throw a tomato in me
But there were many problems and we didn't heard about any success of Spoon RL on endurance race, isn't it? Why?

By the way, why people buy it?
Two years ago I had money to buy new Toyota Corolla but I wanted something more, a mid-size luxury sedan. Why I choose RL\Legend over similar priced used Germans? - because of Honda's famous reliability (and over Lexus because of SH-AWD).

But there is no reliability - there is AFS error, trembling mirror, keyless access issues, driver's door handle - I got it all with my used 05 RL.
Maybe in United States RL was perceived something like Lexus ES, and like grandpa's car and people drive it carefully and it's drivetrain survives for 200k miles.
But in Russia it was a real competitor for 5-series and A6 (with more value for less money of course), and those who dared to buy Legend for a very expensive sum, push it to the limit, expecting Accord reliability with German performance. But they don't have both.

Nevertheless, we love this car. Because of it smoothness, for a little bit strange, but still beautiful looks, for its harmony in all features. We can forgive its relative unreliability. But we want it become fast, we want Legend\RL\RLX to have power appropriate for its handling.

And we always perceive what we want to perceive. And when I know that guys in Russia have problems with drivetrain, I worry about it.
I do not mind spending 10k$ to make RL fast for weekend driving and keep it for some years, but I don't want to have one of my wheels was broken or SH-AWD locked when I will drive through the turn in 70-80 mph.

Sorry for offtop (BS in your terms), just want to share my opinion with RL owners (there isn't much of us around).
Old 01-23-2014, 03:18 PM
Intermediate

Pics of the blow up carnage!!!!!! Please!!!!
Well, on evening of January 8, I was driving through the park in a good mood and then felt a strange hit in forward part of the car and a minute later I started experiencing uneven loss of torque and unusual high revs (5k in 4th gear with 40 mph speed). A little bit later appeared a smell of burning oil and a lot of smoke from under the hood. So I stopped, opened the hood and start running around the car and calling to Honda Service.
Sorry, it was dark and I was concerned with other things than making photo
RL was hastily taken to service garage and now is standing near it, waiting spare parts, covered with snow, without engine, AT and radiator, but relatively normal from exterior view.

But if you think all story is a bluff, i'll show you photo of last summer which can explain why all this happened.
Car in service after small road accident

Radiator of AT pressing main radiator

Main radiator under "tension"

Serviceman told me that radiator is "under tension", and eventually will blow up if it receive a good kick. So I guess that my RL, much like Spoon RL was hit by road debris, and radiator blowed up like it was predicted.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:25 PM
Intermediate

A pair of pictures of my RL in normal state, so that you don't think that all Acura's in Russia are always under hard tuning or blown

Old 01-23-2014, 06:21 PM
Crazy Russian

Martin W
I wish rather to repair your car and go compare because today I had race competition with Audi A6 3.0T and now I'm disappointed.
Legend gives me emotions but .....

Where do you live in Moscow? In which district?
Old 01-23-2014, 09:38 PM
Suzuka Master

thanks for sharing the photos!
Old 01-24-2014, 06:15 AM
Intermediate

Martin W
I wish rather to repair your car and go compare because today I had race competition with Audi A6 3.0T and now I'm disappointed.
Legend gives me emotions but .....

Where do you live in Moscow? In which district?
Whas it last generation A6? As I know it has comparable power to your boosted Legend, large amount of torque, modern 7-speed transmission, quattro with less transmission losses than SH-AWD.. so it's normal if your car is slightly slower than A6 3.0T, isn't it?

I live in VAO, Shchelkovskaya station. When my car is ready (approx. 10 February), I'll write you PM here or on Club Legend and we'll negotiate about time of meeting.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:35 AM
Crazy Russian

Whas it last generation A6? As I know it has comparable power to your boosted Legend, large amount of torque, modern 7-speed transmission, quattro with less transmission losses than SH-AWD.. so it's normal if your car is slightly slower than A6 3.0T, isn't it?

I live in VAO, Shchelkovskaya station. When my car is ready (approx. 10 February), I'll write you PM here or on Club Legend and we'll negotiate about time of meeting.
Yes it was the last a6 with compressor. About 310hp and dgs7.
If we started at the same time we goes equal. But if I sleep at the start I can't catch him.

That A6 can do chip and get +120whp!!! Only chip. And he fly out of me to the space!!
Old 01-24-2014, 09:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,249 Likes on 4,859 Posts
Yes, you're right, the problem was with engine after crash with debris. Sorry for misinformation. I read about Spoon RL two years ago, foreign language and inexorable time had left wrong impression in memory. I'd mistaken, throw a tomato in me
But there were many problems and we didn't heard about any success of Spoon RL on endurance race, isn't it? Why?

By the way, why people buy it?
Two years ago I had money to buy new Toyota Corolla but I wanted something more, a mid-size luxury sedan. Why I choose RL\Legend over similar priced used Germans? - because of Honda's famous reliability (and over Lexus because of SH-AWD).

But there is no reliability - there is AFS error, trembling mirror, keyless access issues, driver's door handle - I got it all with my used 05 RL.
Maybe in United States RL was perceived something like Lexus ES, and like grandpa's car and people drive it carefully and it's drivetrain survives for 200k miles.
But in Russia it was a real competitor for 5-series and A6 (with more value for less money of course), and those who dared to buy Legend for a very expensive sum, push it to the limit, expecting Accord reliability with German performance. But they don't have both.

Nevertheless, we love this car. Because of it smoothness, for a little bit strange, but still beautiful looks, for its harmony in all features. We can forgive its relative unreliability. But we want it become fast, we want Legend\RL\RLX to have power appropriate for its handling.

And we always perceive what we want to perceive. And when I know that guys in Russia have problems with drivetrain, I worry about it.
I do not mind spending 10k$ to make RL fast for weekend driving and keep it for some years, but I don't want to have one of my wheels was broken or SH-AWD locked when I will drive through the turn in 70-80 mph.

Sorry for offtop (BS in your terms), just want to share my opinion with RL owners (there isn't much of us around).
No need to apologize to your friendly resident asshole.

I disagree with your assessment of the RL reliability. Yes, there were some electronic issues in the 2005 model, but the magnitude of the issues doesn't compare to similarly equipped luxury sedans from the same year. The RL only trails Lexus in the reliability department. In addition, most issues were fixed by 2006 and all were fixed by 2007. This, I think it is acceptable to expect Accord reliability.

Your concerns are valid in my opinion. With 100% power to the rear wheels and 70% to the outside, we don't know if a single wheel (or the diff) can handle 200+ hp.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:27 AM
Suzuka Master

does asshole even translate? haha

How about... "мудак"
Old 01-24-2014, 03:57 PM
Crazy Russian

does asshole even translate? haha

How about... "мудак"
Yes, it's correct translation )))
The following 2 users liked this post by MyKL:
HEAVY_RL (01-24-2014), oo7spy (01-24-2014)
Old 01-26-2014, 07:24 PM
Crazy Russian

Weekend
Old 01-27-2014, 05:38 AM
Crazy Russian

Sorry, the previous video has inrorrect time.

correct video
The following 3 users liked this post by MyKL:
colouny (02-07-2014), godfatty420 (02-07-2014), Türk (01-29-2014)
Old 01-27-2014, 07:22 AM
Suzuka Master

That looks like a great time.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:34 PM
Crazy Russian

Hi to you all
I still have a modest result but everyday I try to improve it.
Acceleration to 100 km/h (60m/h) on studded tires was 6 sec.

Honda Legend KB1 vs Golf GTI stage 1 vs Golf R intake/exhaust/stock programm.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:04 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
kudos on the turbo kb1
great to see it actually done than just being thought about
lot of questions are going to be answered by this project
and drifiting in snow looks like lot of fun
Old 02-07-2014, 03:11 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In Lithuania there is a fine of ~200USD + and they take away driving licence for 6 months... And not to mention so called "damage to the nature" which is calculated only god knows how...

Anyway i have tried it many times, and yes its fun fun fun!

But not for everyone, last weekend on a frozen lake Subaru WRX has crashed into trees on the shore, result : One girl died on the way to hospital, one guy was thrown out of the window and got out with few bruises, and two guys are still in hospital with moderate injuries. I personally don't know them, tat was on the news few days ago, but sad things happen when you are not careful.

Despite that "sh%^$#t happens form time to time, it is FUN on the ice, but with sense of responsibility.

Last edited by colouny; 02-07-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:17 AM
Crazy Russian

Originally Posted by colouny
In Lithuania there is a fine of ~200USD + and they take away driving licence for 6 months... And not to mention so called "damage to the nature" which is calculated only god knows how...

Anyway i have tried it many times, and yes its fun fun fun!

But not for everyone, last weekend on a frozen lake Subaru WRX has crashed into trees on the shore, result : One girl died on the way to hospital, one guy was thrown out of the window and got out with few bruises, and two guys are still in hospital with moderate injuries. I personally don't know them, tat was on the news few days ago, but sad things happen when you are not careful.

Despite that "sh%^$#t happens form time to time, it is FUN on the ice, but with sense of responsibility.
We use the lake on which organized subaru forest championship. The depth is less 0,5meters, so some jeeps can go there at summer ))))
And there are no any trees, only bushes
Old 02-18-2014, 05:24 PM
Crazy Russian

The Weighing of The Honda Legend was made ​​by professional weighing-machine.
Full tank of fuel. Full trunk.

For comparison, the new Audi A6 3.0 compressor weighs 1800 kg.
HEAVY_RL (02-18-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 07:19 PM
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
I wonder if this car could have ever moved if it didnt sport extensive aluminum components and CF shaft.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:15 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by M T L T L
I wonder if this car could have ever moved if it didnt sport extensive aluminum components and CF shaft.
Maybe RL's weight is a cost of top safety?
Old 06-06-2014, 05:46 PM
Crazy Russian

Now I do some upgrades
-forged wiseco pistons K544M89 with reduced comp.ratio
-forged rods Pauter
-new turbo FP RED

Maybe somebody can help me......which kind of ARP studs instead of bolts should I use?
Old 06-06-2014, 05:47 PM
Crazy Russian

The target HP is 500
Old 06-06-2014, 08:37 PM
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts
Now I do some upgrades
-forged wiseco pistons K544M89 with reduced comp.ratio
-forged rods Pauter
-new turbo FP RED

Maybe somebody can help me......which kind of ARP studs instead of bolts should I use?
Donate me the old T/C, man.

We are neighbours...

Quick Reply: Turbo honda legend kb1 #2007 (acura rl #2005)