Transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2022, 05:24 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission issue

So I think my transmission might be toast. I was driving down the highway when I notice I'm cruising at 3000 rpm instead of the normal 2500 rpm so I switch to manual to find out that 5th gear is completely gone. It acts like it's only a 4 speed where it's like 5th gear doesnt exist. After a little while it comes back so I think that's wierd but I should be able to get home. I continue the trip home and 5th gear goes away again so I figure I'll do what I can in 4th gear and just kinda limp her home. And 5th gear would come back every now and again then I felt like something let go and suddenly I started losing 4th. So I got off the highway and went super slowly to a gas station where my transmission was clearly leaking from somewhere but I couldn't tell where from so I checked my dipstick and it was saying it was too full which was wierd since I had never added anything. Oh and the fluid was smelling like burning fluid, and it is now fairly dark instead of being the nice red it should be. So I get towed home cuz I'm not sure what else to do at that point.

I plug my computer in today and get a laundry list of codes which I am going to list:
p0767 solenoid "D" stuck on (stored)
p0757 shift solenoid "B" stuck on (pending)
p1780 trans default mode (pending)
p1745 shift malfunction "M" (pending)
p1743 (1)shift error "K" (2) shift malfunction "K"

My battery is not fastened down and I believe my battery may have been hitting some of those valves and switches on top of the trans.

Do I have a chance at saving this trans by replacing solenoids and fluid and filter? I worry I have done too much damage but replacing a transmission on a car that has 400k kms on it seems like a bad investment but I love this car

See how dark the fluid is?
Old 09-11-2022, 04:15 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird, mine did the same thing today on a 40 mile valley to coast drive. Suddenly a jolt, 4th gear and no 5th. Drove home 10 hrs later and no issues at all. I was driving more "spirited" than usual with lots of brake/gas, shifting, passing and cornering and the last few miles of the trip were on a crappier road than before. The drive home was just as aggressive only less traffic and had no issues. I should mention the first leg of the trip i was going way too fast on an unfamiliar road and had to brake HARD for a corner thought i was gonna lose it but this car is great. ABS did its job and just a big lurch and a scare dunno if it had anything to do with the trans acting up 5 miles later but it certainly could. I attributed it to hard driving, lots of gear changes, heat etc. Gonna do a 3x3 and monitor this post for potential info...
And ill be a little gentler on the legend.
Old 09-11-2022, 05:26 AM
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 91 Posts
These trannies are pretty strong. If it was my car I'd take it to a dealer for full diagnostic and see what's really failed. I wouldn't trust multiple DTCs. Had a P0782 latch on mine which is generally bad news and only cost a $320 4th gear switch replacement. Also don't know why you're going to replace the filter. Didn't see anything to indicate that was a fault.

Good luck and please keep us informed.
Old 09-11-2022, 06:42 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Not to point out the obvious, but the first thing you need to do is attach the battery to the car. I dread to think what other damage a 40 pound block of lead could cause as it flies around the engine bay...

Is there visible damage to the top of the transmission ? You might get lucky and find you've just smashed off a few connectors and other bits that you can replace.
Old 09-17-2022, 03:01 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Same exact thing just happened to me! Please keep us informed what you find. I pulled over and cut the car off for a few minutes,restart and drove home, everything seems ok.....very weird....

Old 09-24-2022, 06:59 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
If there is a replaceable filter its best to check. They can break in pieces and clog the channel. The channel that picks up fluid from the bottom.
so basically flow is low and transmission gets overheated.

Some had easily replaceable filter outside transmission.
Some newer transmissions has that filter inside( need to remove transmission to replace)