Trade In?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 01:16 AM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Trade In?

If you have been following my thread on the noises and the replacement parts I have been putting into the car, you know what I have been dealing with. The next thing on the list and the last part is to get two new axles installed (about 2 weeks and its driving me nuts)

I found a 2008 RL with half the mileage of my car, one owner, and non tech. My dilemma is do I trade in my car? I did that with my 97 RL and I have regretted it since. I really don't want to part with my RL. The dealer must be into this car pretty steep as they are not willing to deal to much on it. I did get them to toss in half the timing belt service when it comes up.

The wife is arguing against paying twice the insurance, maintenance and license tags.

What I don't want to do is flush all this money away that I just put in my car. Kelly Blue Book says its worth $5000. We can make the payments and have a nicer car for the long trips is my counter argument.

Suggestions? Comments? What would you do?
Old 06-11-2015, 08:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
I'm confused. What is your wife's concern? Why would there be twice anything? If you would end up with two RLs, listen to her.

Trade ins are good for reducing the tax expense of the new purchase. The flip side is you lose some money from selling private (typically). Selling private can be a hassle, and some won't mide losing a little to avoid that.

Honestly though, run the numbers. Are the tax savings on a trade in more than the difference of a private sale? Does your car payment now plus amortized repair costs exceed the new payment?
Old 06-12-2015, 11:56 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
That's a tough call - whats wrong with your 2006? These cars will go 200-300k easily if you take care of them. Thats not to say you won't have to maintain and replace parts, but on the whole they last.

You know the service history on the 2006, I am not sure what would drive you to the 2008? Who is to say the 2008 won't give you grief?

Chris
Old 06-12-2015, 12:40 PM
Pro

With every car it comes with its own problems. We put a lot of miles on this '06 and the wife is concerned it will turn into a money pit. What I want is a 3rd vehicle so we can take the pressure off the other two of being driven so much. I would put the '08 as our travel car being it has lower miles. I got a strong deal from the dealer when I went into look and negotiate. We owe nothing on our cars so that is a plus. My thought is that we have put $2800 in parts/labor into getting this car back to where it is quiet and reliable. Then to have to trade it in, doesn't make sense to me...just flushing all that money away. We would have been money ahead to trade it in before the repairs, if that is what we needed to do. I am just trying to justify the expenses (payment/reg/insurance) for a 3rd car. I don't think the wife is going to go for another car unless we trade this one in. So we come to the proverbial "standoff".
Old 06-12-2015, 05:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 168 Posts
I went back and looked at one or two of your previous threads as you suggested. Frankly, I'd be worried as your wife is about your current car turning into a money pit, since it's already about halfway there. I don't know whether you bought your car used (as I did), but if so, I'm wondering if the original owner really beat on it, because you're unfortunately being victimized by some problems I've seldom heard of other owners having (the driveshaft being a regrettably common one).

What I don't understand is why you'd put more money voluntarily into replacing both axles, especially you said previously that one of them checked out fine. I wonder if this car simply is no longer in a condition to give you performance that's as defect-free as you want.

Maybe the best course is to buy the '08, if it checks out clean, and sell the '06 just to say sayonara to its problems. Nothing you do will bring back the money you've already spent on your '06, but you might at least be betting on a better horse.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:50 AM
Senior Moderator

I have to agree with Tony that some of the repairs you opted for weren't necessary. That says more about the repairman than the car. Other than your U-joint, it doesn't sound like anything replaced was about to cause a dead-on-the-road failure. There really is little indication that this car can't make it another 100k without issue. If another issue does arrive, you aren't going to lose very much on trade-in, so I say chalk up your self-service as a lesson, drive the car, and have some faith that you are driving a solidly built car. Sometimes it makes some noise.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:26 AM
Pro

Everything that I have replaced has needed to be replaced. Like I said, like peeling an onion. the LF axle is so loud now at 50-60 mph I am thinking it is going to fail. When I get it replaced I will do a short video on a tear down so we all can see what was going on. I will almost bet the grease is like syrup.
I went to the bank and they are willing to go the loan. So the ball is in the wife's court as to what she wants to do. So far nothing and I am not willing to rock the boat to push the issue. I want to get another 100,000+ out of this car and I can do that. Just wanting a 3rd car to just make the mileage to a lot longer.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Do you mind recounting the list of repairs you have done so far?

Also, I can't imagine a scenario where having two cars building mileage is any more beneficial than one car. Sounds like there is an emotional element to the plan.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:25 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
I can't say I've ever heard of the axles failing on these cars, at least in the 6-7 years I've been on these forums. Interesting.

My '05 has a slight propeller shaft whine, but nothing that bothers me (it's a car with 140k on it, it is what it is )

Just redid the compressor at 140k too, have to have AC, not a cheap repair but my dealer helped me out on cost which was very considerate of them.

Yes at some point you have to draw the line as to how much you put into a car and either sell it or keep it. That is a tough line to draw some times.