TL-S to RL - Opinions and Good Price on RL Consideration

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 10:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL-S to RL - Opinions and Good Price on RL Consideration

Long time lurker and new member here. I used AcuraZine to help me decide on my TL Type S, and have read most every post dating back to mid 2010 on the RL. I'm fairly comfortable with the gotchas of the RL, and just wanted to get overall opinions on the move.

I have a 2008 TL Type S with 62k miles. The car is Morrocan Red Pearl with 2 tone black interior. I love the looks of the car, both inside and out. The material quality inside leaves a lot to be desired, and new rattles continue to form. My first child was born 10 months ago, and my wife is staying at home with him. 95% of the reason to make the move is to free up some monthly cash flow. I have a lot of equity in the car that I would use to bring the price down of the RL.

I am test driving a 2005 RL this weekend that I picked up tonight. I'll do more inspection of the car tomorrow, but overall am pleased for the mileage. Its an 05 with 93k miles, Lakeshore Silver Metallic with Taupe interior. The interior is clean with minimal wrinkles in the driver's seat, and no wear on the center console or armrest. Most of the interior looks new. The car has a clean 1 owner carfax, and carfax shows all maintenance was performed at Acura dealers. If I move forward, I will pick up the service records on Monday.

Known issues with the car:
  • The windshield is cracked, and should be replaced
  • Both fog lights are cracked and hold water after it rains
  • The steering wheels squeals when it extends after starting the car
  • Front Headlight Flicker
  • Tires are worn, and very loud
  • Drivers side mirror is loose
  • Steering wheel control buttons look bad (but not the worst I've seen)
  • A/C heat/cool lights are out, Passenger seat warmer light is out

Pros on the car:
  • Interior is in excellent condition
  • No noticeable propeller shaft or differential whine
  • Both outside door handles work to lock/unlock (passenger doesn't light - is it supposed to?)
  • AHS works fine with no errors
  • A/C blows cold (no idea if any work has been done)
  • Looks to be properly maintained

The dealer is asking $14.2k before negotiation. The car has a windshield and tires that need replacing, and the 105k service coming up. What do you feel is a reasonable price on this car? Would you consider it, or keep looking for other options?

I have a potential deal on the table for an 07 Silver/Taupe, 62k miles, good records but worse condition interior than this car for $16k. Early talks and the car is out of town, but a consideration.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 244 Likes on 139 Posts
I picked up my 05 carbon for 12k with 98k. no cracked windshield. fog lights were good. interior in good shape minus the scratches on the steering controls. already had USA spec installed. car came with a folder of all records and recall work that was done.

105K service can be done DIY for $400-500 depends if you do fluids with it.
Windshield Go OEM not aftermarket. RL uses Acoustic Glass to reduce road/wind noise
headlight flicker could be bulbs. you can order new bulbs from - The Retrofit source for 50-200 a pair depending which ones you get.
fog lights can be fixed DIY with some glass at hardware store or you can do lexan. easy DIY
Old 06-16-2012, 11:14 PM
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts
Way over priced for all the cons you listed.

Lets see foglights -$350 for dealer to buy and install new ones (I say this because you probably can't just replace the glass, since if its filling up with water then the reflective coat is probably bad like my driver's one)
Windshield - $800
Dying Bulb HID? - $220 for bulb not counting labor costs for removing bumper and headlight assembly for replacing the bulb
Tires - AT LEAST $800 cost me $1000 for Continentals and tire balance/road hazard warranty
Lights are easy enough to replace yourself ($6) but if you want the dealer to do it expect $100 for the seat heater ones and the one in the AC module (all labor)
Oh and guess what 105k maintenance is coming around the corner.

So expect about $1k for that

Lets see estimated amount spent in the next 15k miles

AT LEAST $3000+, I wouldn't pay more than $12,000 considering all of that

I paid 13,500 last year for mine at 97,000 miles, no headlight flicker, no loose mirrors, tires had half their life, no steering wheel squeal, ac worked, no bulbs out etc

If you are doing this to free up cash flow look else where, I have been doing work on this car weekly for the last 3 months upgrades, repairs etc and I am finally seeing the end. If I had the money when I choose the RL I would have went with a used IS 350 AWD but that cost about $5000 more at the time

BTW I am jealous of Carbon Legend for the great deal he got on his ^^^ and his exterior (front bumper) is in much better condition than mine

Last edited by Matt W; 06-16-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:53 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Originally Posted by Carbon Legend
I picked up my 05 carbon for 12k with 98k. no cracked windshield. fog lights were good. interior in good shape minus the scratches on the steering controls. already had USA spec installed. car came with a folder of all records and recall work that was done.
Paid a K more without the USA spec
Old 06-17-2012, 12:22 AM
Intermediate

You guys got some good deals (Carbon especially!) and give good advice. $12k is the number I had in my head, and I don't expect the dealer would go lower. After you repeat the problems back, it does sound like too many costs in a short amount of time. Likely passing on this car, but will spend tomorrow seeing how much I really enjoy an RL and if the switch is worth giving up my TL-S
Old 06-17-2012, 12:29 AM
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by lastig21
You guys got some good deals (Carbon especially!) and give good advice. $12k is the number I had in my head, and I don't expect the dealer would go lower. After you repeat the problems back, it does sound like too many costs in a short amount of time. Likely passing on this car, but will spend tomorrow seeing how much I really enjoy an RL and if the switch is worth giving up my TL-S
I would think the TL-S would me a more enjoyable ride (quicker,faster) but I have never driven one, go drive a IS 350 and then you will really know if the RL is worth it
Old 06-17-2012, 10:08 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Matt W
I would think the TL-S would me a more enjoyable ride (quicker,faster) but I have never driven one, go drive a IS 350 and then you will really know if the RL is worth it
I've driven an IS350 before. Its a fun car with few cabin rattles, but the IS line is too small for my needs now. In general, they are more expensive than the RL's I am looking at.

The Type-S can be more fun than the RL (based on the 1 hour or so I've driven the RL). The TL-S is more responsive, faster off the line or while moving, and has a growl when you get on it that the RL can't match. In any given day, I might be able to enjoy that for 10 minutes. The rest of my drive is creeping along freeways in rush hour traffic or stuck behind other cars at traffic lights.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,249 Likes on 4,859 Posts
Of the problems you've listed, only two have not been documented here on how to fix, the windshield and steering wheel squeal. All the rest are equally probable to happen to any 2005 you buy. This may be a good chance to get them all fixed now on the dealer's dollar.

If you can get all of those items fixed and a 105 service done, $14k is not a bad price. Carbon got a hell of a deal that will be hard to match, so I wouldn't necessarily use that as your barometer for a "deal". If the car drives well and doesn't have prop shaft whine, differential whir, A/C issues, or door handle flakiness, then it might be a great deal IF the dealer fixes everything on your list. I would strongly consider it.

Also, I got my Contis for $890 out the door.

, Matt.

Last edited by oo7spy; 06-17-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:10 AM
Intermediate

I spoke too soon on the prop shaft whine. I noticed it this morning just under 30mph (when the car was cold). I don't think I would buy a car that I knew had the issue, but I'm not sure it would bother me if it developed on a vehicle that I already owned. Its such a slim range for the noise, that I can't imagine having to hear it very often. I've also had a couple of other issues emerge... you can't beat the extended test drive for uncovering these things.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:17 AM
Intermediate

Driving impressions on the way to work this morning:
  • The interior is built solid. The console has some heft to it, and feels solid when you knock on it. My TL feels incredibly cheap in comparison.
  • Wind noise and traffic noise is greatly reduced. The worn tires are very loud, and I would say highway speeds cabin noise are comparable to my TL.
  • Suspension is much softer. Its a non-issue for most driving. One of the surface streets I drive on is terrible (dips, potholes, patches, etc) and I was not punished as much as when I drive my car.
  • The power takes a bit to come on, and I guess is standard VTEC kicking in at higher rpm ranges. Feels almost like turbo lag to me. The TL-S stays strong through the entire power band. Not an issue, just an observation.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Senior Moderator

The intake has butterfly valves that do not open all the way until 3500 rpm. VTEC kicks in @ 4900. You can tell when the intake opens up.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 168 Posts
I love my RL and I hate to say this, but if you've got only 10 minutes a day of fun potential in your stop-and-go drive, and if the reason to make a move is to save coins, a heavily used RL seems like a lateral move at best.

Honestly, lower-line cars like the Fusion V6 have come so far, you can probably buy yourself a lot less trouble for similar money, if admittedly at a price in lost luxury.

If you can't stand that idea, maybe keeping what you've got is the ticket.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:39 AM
Intermediate

I'm still on the fence with my decision. I turned the RL back into the dealership, and have scanned Autotrader a couple of times for other options. There are a couple of good options out of town, but I probably won't take the time to visit those dealerships. It will probably become a hobby searching for good RL's in Houston over the next few months Keeping the TL-S until another RL comes along.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:50 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
yes,waiting is the key...RL is rare car after all and if you want one you will like you have to take your time finding it.Believe me i have been there,desperate and all,even considered VW Passat can you believe it?Took me 120 miles to get there and test drove it to realize what a POS it is.Be patient and the right one will come to you.It took me 7 months of wait and search to get mine,time well spent if you ask me.Drove a lot of cars in the powerband,nothing compares to the RL.Recently workded as a valet parker and realised that a lot of cars on my then list were not worth it,like G35 sedan,c240 wagon,Passat i mentioned,TL-S(i know )etc.GL and be patient!!P.S. i have 2007 tech. pkg w/ 82k miles when i bought it.Love it to death,what a great car!!!
Old 06-22-2012, 08:49 PM
Senior Moderator

I did my serious searching for over a month, had to go 800 miles for mine, and would do it again in a heart beat. Good things come to those who wait. Good luck.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by lastig21
I'm still on the fence with my decision. I turned the RL back into the dealership, and have scanned Autotrader a couple of times for other options. There are a couple of good options out of town, but I probably won't take the time to visit those dealerships. It will probably become a hobby searching for good RL's in Houston over the next few months Keeping the TL-S until another RL comes along.
You need to look further north. Most of the RL's (including mine) ended up in the North. Mine landed in New York.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:00 AM
Intermediate

My wife isn't onboard enough with the idea of trading my car out for an out of state purchase right now. I have noticed a lot more inventory up north. There looks to be a great 05 at Long Island Auto Find if anyone in NY is searching. Several options in Ohio and Illinois as well.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:02 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
For point of reference I traveled 600 miles to get my 2007 RL about a month ago.

It had about 107k miles, just had the 105k service done.

Car was clean and everything works except the passenger side door only unlocks using keyfob.

It's also has the CMBS/ACC package which is pretty rare on these vehicles probably because it was a $4k option. I wanted this option because I'm always using cruise control AND I am not a big fan of higher speed collisions!

Vehicle was already dePAXED by previous owner

I bought it from a private seller and negotiated a price of $14,500

No buyers remorse after one month of driving.

Good luck.

mike

Last edited by scrim67; 06-25-2012 at 11:12 AM.