TL or RL...1 test drive down, 1 to go

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 05:00 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TL or RL...1 test drive down, 1 to go

Hello everyone. I was informed to start a new thread after my initial thread was closed.

Well, I was finally able to test drive a manual TL-S this weekend due to my crazy schedule and my ability to actually find a manual. I wanted to test the RL, but I did not have enough time. I am going to schedule a test drive later this week, I hope.

I'm not sure if it is appropriate to post the TL-S review here, being an RL forum. However if it is ok, I will.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
I would like to see the TL-S impressions versus the RL impressions. Two very different beasts. So long as there is the RL comparison, I think people would enjoy it.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I want to read about a TL-S to RL comparison, given the two utilize essentially the same J35 engine. I think most would enjoy that.

I posted a TL to RL comparo some time ago before I bought my RL, so there's certainly precedent! https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2672

Go for it.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:42 AM
Instructor

Due to a scheduling conflict, I was unable to test drive the RL this week. I am rescheduling for Tuesday or Wednesday. Here is my review on the TL-S:

First, I have to be honest. The 6spd TL has always been my favorite. Although I am impressed by the total package that the RL provides, I have not been too fond of its outside appearance, but it is wearing on me. Also, in order for me to purchase the RL, I will have to be able to live without a manual, which I have been driving for the last 18 years, and move up to AWD. So, as you can see, the deck is stacked against the RL.

Styling/Exterior - I have always loved the lines on the TL, and was not sure if the TL-S was a little over the top with the quad exhaust, bigger grill, rear bumper, two-tone interior seating and the red interior lighting (kind of reminded me of Pontiac cars). I quess some can say boy-racer. The tester I had was SSM with the ebony/silver interior. Not a bad color combo, but I am partial to NBP. I also am not a fan of the wheels as I like the A-Spec or Ron Jon Inspyres much better. The exhaust pipes on this car are huge and the side markers are blacked-out. The new tail lights look better on the black or dark grey cars. I also really like the position of the fog lights. Everything appeared fine outside, so the wife and I got in.

Styling/Interior - The interior layout, while basically the same as any other TL, had a few differences, notably the new instrument cluster. I turned the ignition key and WOW! The lighting was very nice to my surprise as I thought the blue was perfect for the car. The door panels have stitched inserts and carbon-fiber trim I believe. It was a nice compliment to the two-tone seats, which i thought would be busy. The leather was very nice, although I have heard that the leather in the RL is much nicer. The TL-S has some very nice side bolsters and the aluminum/stainless steel pedals were very nice as well.

I did not use the navigation too often other than mapping the directions back to the dealership and changing the temperature in the cabin with the voice commands. The wife really liked that. One thing that bothered my wife was that the passenger seat was only 4-way. She is only 5'1 and thought that she could not see outside the car very well from the passenger seat.

Driving/Engine - Having driven a "regular" 6spd TL, I went in thinking that the TL-S would be a little sportier at most, due to the 3.5 engine. Boy was I surprised. This car sounds throatier and feels like a totally different car. Maybe someone who has driven both can attest if there is really a huge difference between the 3.2 and 3.5 engines. Having a 5sp Accord coupe for the last 15 years, the shifter was typical Honda, buttery and smooth shifting. The drive by wire throttle is amazing.

We drove on some twisty roads in the Ardmore/Villanova area and I 476. On the twisties, I had a blast and so did my wife judging by the smile on her face. We actually were in front of another 3G TL on a straight, so I had to hit it hard and the car dissappeard very quickly. It really hugged the curves well at speed and I felt very comfortable even though I was unfamiliar with the road. This car really accelerates quickly, breaks fast (Brembo's) and sounds great while getting up to speed. I would probably drive this car without the radio on just to hear the engine.

On the highway, the car felt smooth. I drove around 65 mph until I had a nice clear straight and punched it. Nice! This is a car you can drive hard when you want and also cruise when you want.

Conclusion - I really enjoyed the car more than I thought. It has a nice blend of luxury and sport. Is it the best in one category? Not by a long shot, but the total package makes this an intriguing car, just like the RL. I was hoping that I was done with driving a manual or at the very least, near the end of my manual driving days. The TL-S renewed my interest in manuals. My wife even said that this is the car for me (if I don't like the RL) and would be very happy to see how it feels to be behind the wheel. She is crazy about the interior of the RL and I agree it is luxurious.

Hopefully after Wednesday, I can give my review of the RL. I have high hopes, as I know from reading here that the RL is a very competent car.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:57 PM
Instructor

I was able to test a 2007 RL only briefly tonight as I recieved a call and had to cut it short.

Interior:
The interior is just stellar. Very sophisticated and luxurious. I absolutely love the interior. There is ample room in the back, just a bit more than the TL-Type S that I tested. Lots of technology goodies (power rear shade..stuff you already know). I now see what you mean when you say put together better (although I didn't notice any problems with the TL). Very quite when the windows were up.

My wife likes the interior much better than the TL as do I.

Exterior:
My tester was NBP/ebony (my favorite combo), and it looked great. The headlights appear kind of big though. It looks more athletic up close than from a distance. Adding A-Spec or aftermarket wheels would surely be an improvement. I wasn't to fond of the steering wheel. The wood steering wheel is so much nicer.

Ride:
The ride was very smooth and absorbed the bumps very well. This is a very comfortable car which I could easily take long trips in. Visibility was great.

As far as the acceleration, I was a little surprised. I thought it would have more punch being almost 300hp. The TL-Type S is 286 and it felt a lot stronger than the RL (likely due to the car being a manual). I tried to get the SH-AWD working but there weren't enough twisties (I was at a different dealer). I also do not know how to use the manual shifting in the RL, which may have made the car respond better. The RL felt very stable but heavy.

Conclusion:
I honestly don't have one. The sporting guy in me loves the TL-Type S' acceleration and handling but the gentleman in me loves the opulent feel and looks of the RL. It seems like an adults car. If Acura could tune the RL engine to that of the TL-Type S, it would be an awsome car. I wish I had more time with it to really see how it handles on the twisties. I'll have to test it again without a doubt. It's funny, my wife feels the exact same way about the cars.

The car that I choose will be around for quite some time so I have to make a good decision. I thought the TL-Type S would win hands down, taht I would drive the RL and eliminate it from contention.Not so at all. There is something about the RL that I can't quite put my finger on. It is almost mysterious in a way as I keep thinking about.

Well, I'll guess I'll keep lurking and reading for now. BTW, the car that I drove was the only RL on the lot (Metro Acura), and it still had the plastic on the interior.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:04 PM
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 96 Posts
"There is something about the RL that I can't quite put my finger on. It is almost mysterious in a way as I keep thinking about."

That's an interesting expression. It describes how I feel about my RL. It is a compliant and very personal car. The RL reminds me of G. Gordon Liddy's famous expression: "Never complain, Never Explain". Whatever the job it is asked to do, it just gets it done. Be it luxury, smoothness, luxury, road-hugging, easy navigation, simple audio controls, etc., it gets it done in a low maintenance fashion.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:22 PM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by allykahn
As far as the acceleration, I was a little surprised. I thought it would have more punch being almost 300hp. The TL-Type S is 286 and it felt a lot stronger than the RL (likely due to the car being a manual).
actually, the RL has 290hp due to some new way of calculating hp. i would imagine the TL type S feeling a lot stronger because it is lighter, and accelerates faster, and because it's manual. but the RL can get from 0-60 in 6.7 seconds.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:29 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Many of us here have owned the TL prior to the RL. I find your observations very much in line with what I personally note about the attributes of both cars.

You clearly have determined the TLs sportier strengths and the RLs refinement. The 2 cars are decidedly different. And 1st impressions are often difficult to ascertain. Some of my impressions of the TL changed after driving it a year, prompting my RL purchase. Content differences aside, there are characteristics of both it takes awhile to really differentiate.

Points that took more than a test drive to really appreciate the differences:

1) FWD dynamics (occaisional torque steer) vs. SHAWD (neutral)
2) TL lighter, quicker to react to throttle
3) RL handles speed with much more refined ride, sometimes masking the speed.
4) Interior cabin quality of the RL is a league ahead.
5) Build quality and assembly details of the RL more comprehensive
6) RLs suspension & weight lessens affect of punishing roads.
7) TL average 1-2 mpg more than RL
8) Similar interior volumes, TL lower seating positions, RL taller seating positions.

I am sure other TL to RL converts can chime in here.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:35 PM
Proboscis-free zone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TampaRL, we are of one mind. Everything you say is correct. I loved my 2004 TL but it was a squeaky little devil and a bit young in appearance for my (reluctant) level of maturity. The RL really grows on you. It is refined, quiet, powerful and redolent with well-integrated technology. It is more "grown up" than the TL and more luxurious than brand snobs would admit. I agree that the RL's speed is often masked by the quietness of the cabin. It hauls a$$ when necessary.

The one feature that sealed the deal for me was real-time traffic. I thought I would dislike the RL's nav interface; boy was I wrong. It's very simple and straightforward. It also avoids greasy fingerprints all over the nav screen. I understand that 2007 TLs also have real-time traffic, yet having made my purchase, as I look at the myriad TLs on the road--including the Type-S '07s--I think, been there, done that.

It may help to think of the RL as the Acura Legend and the TL as the latest iteration of the Vigor. It makes the choice very, very simple.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:17 AM
Senior Moderator

As I keep telling everyone, I love the TL. It is simply the best FWD sports sedan on the market. No other car does better at keeping all that power going to the front wheels with so little torque steer.

The RL simply offers more refinement and your comments mirror most others' here.

The fact is, though, you drove a manual TL. Of course it's going to feel snappier, the 6MT TL feels snappier than the 5AT TL.

On the RL, the best power is above 3.5-4k rpm. You really have to punch it to feel the power, but it is there. That's one of the reasons folks are saying around here that the RL needs either a V8 or a torque-monster V6 like Infiniti's VQ series.

I'm glad you enjoyed both cars. Now you've got a tough decision to make..... just like I did. I thought FOR SURE I was going to keep my TL. I was 100% keeping the TL....but.....there was something about the RL......
Old 03-15-2007, 09:22 AM
Proboscis-free zone

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I thought FOR SURE I was going to keep my TL. I was 100% keeping the TL....but.....there was something about the RL......
Hee, hee! Sooooo true...

For the first time in many days I saw another RL on the way in to the office this morning. Took my breath away. Then I realized...that's the same car I'm driving!!!
Old 03-15-2007, 09:53 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts

Ride:
The ride was very smooth and absorbed the bumps very well. This is a very comfortable car which I could easily take long trips in. Visibility was great.

Conclusion:
I honestly don't have one. The sporting guy in me loves the TL-Type S' acceleration and handling but the gentleman in me loves the opulent feel and looks of the RL.
The addition of the A-Spec suspension will make the handling of the RL a little edgier and may make the "twisties" more enjoyable for you. Being one of those who have gone from the TL to the RL, there is very little that I miss. Like everyone else, I loved my TL, but I love my RL a little bit more. A few RL'ers have further increased the fun factor and your concern with acceleration with the addition of a CAI and sport tuned exhaust. Not being one of them, I can only imagine that these mods will move the TL further and further back in one's memory.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:27 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Talking

Originally Posted by VOdoc
TampaRL, we are of one mind.
That is why we have such good taste in automobiles! But tell me, my brutha from a different mutha...if we share one mind, does this make us both half wits?

I love reading comments from TL to RL converts. I keep seeing a pattern and similar conclusions drawn in our transition between these two fine autos!
Old 03-16-2007, 10:41 PM
Instructor

This has been a very interesting thread for me. While reading, I was wondering how many of you had manual TL's before you went to the RL since a few of the "regulars" did not post.

I flip between the TL forum and here, and quite a few people state that the TL-Type S has a stiffer ride than the 06 TL 6spd. It is a shame that you can't test a RL with A-Spec suspension from a dealer. I guess that falls in line with the complaints about Acura's marketing.

Quick questions:
1. How is the driving experience with AWD? I have only owned FWD and RWD cars. Is it just better for bad weather conditions?

2. From reading almost every thread, it seems that to get a sportier ride, the A-Spec suspension and 18" wheels are a must. Does the ride get harsher with these add-ons?

neuronbob, you are absolutely dead on as I do have a tough decision to make.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:26 PM
Proboscis-free zone

I can only answer #1 as A-Spec is not compatible with CMBS-PAX.

For many years I had driven FWD cars both manual and auto (Volvo, Saab, Acura TL) so really wasn't bothered much by torque steer--guess I was used to it. I was not that excited about AWD due to favorable climatic conditions here in sunny L.A.

I took the plunge on the RL and drove it home from the dealer in pouring rain with my young son in the back. Talk about secure! This thing is incredibly sure-footed. It made us both feel better.

Since then in driving 4000+ miles I have come to really appreciate the neutral handling of SH-AWD. It just goes where you point it. The car whips around corners under acceleration smoothly and with panache...the TL was "tossable" while the RL is driveable. Makes the twisties really fun. Somebody said in a pro review that the RL is the car you want to be driving if bad guys are chasing you. True!!

I'm spoiled now.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:23 AM
Senior Moderator

This has been a very interesting thread for me. While reading, I was wondering how many of you had manual TL's before you went to the RL since a few of the "regulars" did not post.

I flip between the TL forum and here, and quite a few people state that the TL-Type S has a stiffer ride than the 06 TL 6spd. It is a shame that you can't test a RL with A-Spec suspension from a dealer. I guess that falls in line with the complaints about Acura's marketing.

Quick questions:
1. How is the driving experience with AWD? I have only owned FWD and RWD cars. Is it just better for bad weather conditions?
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3663

It's great in inclement weather as noted in the thread above. However, SH-AWD was developed in lieu of Honda spending money on a real FR (Front engine, RWD) platform. The RL is actually a FWD car without SH-AWD. The SH-AWD makes the car handle in a more neutral fashion in the turns. In some situations, there is even slight oversteer. The difference can be noted even in everyday driving. The system works by causing the rear wheel that is on the outside of a turn to spin faster than the other rear wheel. It's an intelligently designed system--Honda excels in this type of gee-whiz gadgetry.

2. From reading almost every thread, it seems that to get a sportier ride, the A-Spec suspension and 18" wheels are a must. Does the ride get harsher with these add-ons?
Not really. Yes, you do feel a few more bumps, but I don't consider the ride harsh by any means. That's the beauty of the A-Spec. Just so you know, A-Spec is not the only option for lowering the car. There are H&R springs, a Tein coilover system, and a Mugen system.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:36 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Smile

Not being as climate-challenged as some of the more northern posters, I will comment on the FWD TL vs. AWD RL from snow and ice free Florida.

On rainy days (especially when the rain has just started and roads are most slick) there were several times where the TL would spin wheels in moderate launches and acceleration. A few slight skids under moderate braking also activated the ABS. With the RL on the same roads, similar conditions, same tires and like driving style I have yet to induce ANY wheel spin or ABS. The RL simply is planted to the road.

Now remove all weather issues (and granted mine are minimal in Florida), the RL has no torque steer, no tugging in spirited driving, especially around sweeping tcurves, on ramps, etc. The RL tracks true without the steering corrections the TL required.

Some drivers may not really notice the AWD system at work on the RL as you have to really push it to feel it. But the driving dynamics are certainly different than the FWD TL, even at the slightest levels. The fact that it IS transparent in everyday driving is what I LIKE about it!