Tips on purchasing an RL...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 11:43 PM
Disturbin' The Peace!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tips on purchasing an RL...

Hey guys, I have been a member for quite sometime. I have been wanting a TL for quite sometime. But, enlight of that car having so many problems , I decided to up my standards and go for the RL. I have driven a couple and I absolutely love the car.

I know the problems with the TL's and I'm NOT going to purchase one. What are some of the main points/things to look for when purchasing an RL? I haven't done much studying on them so I thought I'd ask...

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:01 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Assuming the RL is the car you decided upon, and assuming you find a price you are happy with...

1) Carfax report to verify any potential repair issues. Keep in mind regular service calls can be reported to the VIN and that is a good thing. Damage issues is what you want to scrutinize.

2) Be sure all the TSBs and the Power Steering Hose Recall have all been performed on that MY RL.

3) A CPO RL is a wise choice epecially if the candidate car is nearing the end of the OEM warranty. The RL is a technology and engineering pioneer...extended warranty is very wise.

4) RESEARCH this forum! It is THE source for our RLs. Especially the TSB sticky & Known Quirks and Issues sticky.

5) Have a trusted tech or mechanic look over the car, especially if it has been modded from OEM specs. Any issues you find on your research here is an ideal checklist / agenda for the tech / mechanic to validate.

There are several TL => RL threads in here and I doubt any of them would not recommend the RL over the TL, unless the TL styling and drive characterisitics simply were more appealing to you.

If /when you decide, but what makes YOU happy and at a price fair to your market area and condition of the car. Get in, enjoy the ride and don't look back.