Thrilled with Acura HFL and bluetooth! (Disappointed with ACURA HFL and Bluetooth!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 09:46 AM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
Thrilled with Acura HFL and bluetooth! (Disappointed with ACURA HFL and Bluetooth!)

I purchased a v710 on Saturday to get the bluetooth function to work for the RL. I have been wanting to see if this was everything I had hope and heard about it. Many people have said that the clarity was really good or better. So my Verizon store sold me one for $150 plus a $50 rebate= $99 + Tax. The software version is 8.0030.8f I thnk. There is a new version 8.0040.OR that is available that will make the battery and the signal display when I take it in on tomorrow to have it upgraded. So far, the sound quality of the bluetooth headset was pretty flakey to me. I mean would rate it about 4 out of 10 . There are echoes when you call someone. Also if the Bluetooth headset is on then the HFL will not work. You hve to turn off the Headset to enable the HFL in the car.

The Acura HFL was not difficult to pair since I had already looked on the TL forum to see how they paired it. I was able to make my device discover my HFL even though others said that the auto discovery procedure would not work. I can say that it felt like an unusal way to have to set it up. Once connnected and paired, I tried to place a call but when you place a call you have to enter each command by pushing the HFL button. ie.. (HFL) say" dial", (HFL) say"713-xxx-xxxx. I find this anoying because if HFL does not recognize it correctly you have to basically repeat it until you get it right. Also my address book will not sync with the HFL and I have to manually put the contact in the system. Then I can (HFL) say" dial", (HFL) say "Home" and hopefully it will acknowledge it and dial the number. I remember Frebay saying that the GS allowed him to sync his phonebook to his car even after he updated it. That would be really cool. The only problem for the RL is that it only holds 50 total contacts and that wouldn't get me past the A names in my contacts.

I will spend more time tomorrow once I have the software upgraded and see what happens. If I dont like it, I can always take it back and wait for the new models to release in the next couple of months.

How does one go from the car to the headset without disconnectiong the call? I want to transfer the call to the headset without hanging up the call.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:10 PM
Overlord of Networking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How does one go from the car to the headset without disconnectiong the call? I want to transfer the call to the headset without hanging up the call.
While on the call push the middle "menu' button and choose option "use handset. "
Old 02-28-2005, 01:49 PM
Pro

Since my headset is off, will it acknowledge the phone once I turn it on. Rememeber, I have to turn off the bluetooth headset to use the HFL.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:47 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hou-RL
The software version is 8.0030.8f I thnk. There is a new version 8.0040.OR that is available that will make the battery and the signal display when I take it in on tomorrow to have it upgraded.
I'm really interested in your experience as I'm planning to go exactly the same path as you do. I'm not using any headset though, so for me it's gonna be a little easier.

BTW where you got V710 so cheap?

Konstantin
Old 02-28-2005, 07:38 PM
Pro

In my verizon store. I was elgible for a new every two and worked a deal with the rep. Just told her I wanted this phone but only if she agreed to meet my terms without hesitation.
$299 - $100 for the new every two=$199- $50 mail in rebate=$149-$50 my own required discount=$99. Agreed price but I think it will have to go back. It sounds muffled when talking even with just the headset. I must mention that I opted for the Jabra and not the Motorola headset. I didn't think this would make a difference and it was more comfortable/ When using the HFL it sounds distant also. Is ther something that I should do to enable HFL in a digital mode or something. It's is definately not as clear or good as I think it should sound. It could be the phone but I am not sure.

Does anyone else have a bluetooth and get a very clear reception on their Headset and HFL?
Old 03-01-2005, 06:29 AM
Racer

I bought a 710 in September and it paired with the TL I had then. When I traded for the RL the phone paired with not problem. I hardly ever drive the RL or talk using the HFL, but my wife does. When she calls me on the HFL there is definitely and echo. Doesn't sound near as good as the OnStar phone.

Also, the voice recognition sucks. Dosen't understand the number about 1/2 of the time, and as mentioned above, you have to go through the whole process again. I don't think voice recognition is neared as advanced as some would like you to think. Maybe it just doesn't understand Tennessee talk.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:40 AM
Pro

I ran across a buddy of mine last night and he a V710. His phone sound a 100 times better than mine. There is definately something wrong with mine. I am taking it back today to get another one. If that doesn't clear it up, then i'll refund it.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:34 AM
Pro

Well after replacing my phone this morning and getting the upgrade to software version 8700.40.OR my phone works and sounds great. I paired it with the bluetooth headset but not the HFL yet. Just since I have done this I can hear a lot better and this is not my imagination. Even the tech made a couple of calls and confirmed that it wasn't right. They replaced it with a new phone out of the box then the tech upgraded it. I will pair it with the car today and see how it works. I think my problem is at least 50% resolved so far. Hopefully I can change the name of the thread to "Thrilled with Acura HFL and bluetooth!".
Old 03-01-2005, 12:25 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
I updated your subject now.

Lots of ppl have problems with their V710 since the market reveals this model. I won't feel surprised your disappointment/then-satisfaction with this model. It's all Verizon's fault... IMHO.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:06 PM
Instructor

Well after replacing my phone this morning and getting the upgrade to software version 8700.40.OR my phone works and sounds great.
After you pair it with HFL could you please update us if the battery level and signal level appears with the new phone software.

Thank you!
Konstantin
Old 03-01-2005, 09:12 PM
Pro

Voooiiilllaaaa! HFL works great! I paired the V710 with the HFL and the signal and battery indicators work just fine. The sound is great just like it is supposed to be. I heard that it might be possible to be able to sync my address book but I dont want to do that. I have way to many numbers in my phone and the RL only holds 50 numbers, I think. The phone is really for my wife so I am transferring it over to her. I just wanted to see if it works.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:14 AM
8-)
...just another stooge...

Originally Posted by catsailr
Also, the voice recognition sucks. Dosen't understand the number about 1/2 of the time...
I was thinking the same thing. But my kids pointed out that I was yelling at the car (well, talking louder than normal) and I wasn't speaking naturally. I also noticed that I over-enunciated my words and numbers, and paused between them. I really wasn't confident of it's ability to recognize my words/numbers, and I attempted to compensate for it. Anyway, you guessed the conclusion. I lowered my volume and speak more naturally, and the voice recognition has worked much better.

That's only my experience, and I'm not suggesting anybody else yells at the phone! But in your case, I suspect the accent! :wink:
Old 03-02-2005, 01:06 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
More practice would make it better...

Originally Posted by 8-)
I was thinking the same thing. But my kids pointed out that I was yelling at the car (well, talking louder than normal) and I wasn't speaking naturally. I also noticed that I over-enunciated my words and numbers, and paused between them. I really wasn't confident of it's ability to recognize my words/numbers, and I attempted to compensate for it. Anyway, you guessed the conclusion. I lowered my volume and speak more naturally, and the voice recognition has worked much better...
This is very true, many ppl do figure out the similar things like you said above...
Old 03-02-2005, 02:45 PM
Pro

So here a question about HFL again.
When I paired the phone to HFL the display ask me if I would like to setup my "connection?", and I selected setup now. It also gives me the option to do this later. This option is to connect to the AcuraLInk Server and I dont have the option for Verzion. The only options were to select ATT, Cingular, Sprint and Maybe Nextel. No Verizon option. How do I set it up to connect using verizon? Do I need to call Acura to walk me throught the process. Also what exactly does this do? Does it pull down updates periodically to inform me of notifications?
Old 03-02-2005, 05:36 PM
Racer

When I paired the phone to HFL the display ask me if I would like to setup my "connection?", and I selected setup now. It also gives me the option to do this later. This option is to connect to the AcuraLInk Server and I dont have the option for Verzion. The only options were to select ATT, Cingular, Sprint and Maybe Nextel. No Verizon option. How do I set it up to connect using verizon? Do I need to call Acura to walk me throught the process. Also what exactly does this do? Does it pull down updates periodically to inform me of notifications?
I noticed the same thing. No option for Verizon. If you find out what to do let me know.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:21 PM
Advanced

I wonder if you got the latest sw for some other carrier than Verizon. V has their own sw version so that they can screw us out of an extra few bux by forcing us to use their network to transfer files to a pc. I had a lengthy session with Motor today, and they say the most up-to-date sw version for the Verizon v710 is 8700_01.30.8F. I'd be very interested in knowing what you find out, because the combination of the v710, its idiotic manual with an even worse index, Motor's infuriating helpline and last but least [expl del] Verizon, I'm at my wits end. Rotten sound, lousy service, big mad on.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:17 AM
Cruisin'

Got latest firmware yesterday

Yesterday Verizon went to flash my phone with the 1.40 firmware and fried it. They replace the phone, flashed the latest firmware and I'm good to go. Both the signal strength and battery strength now display in the RL display.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:24 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by mungoac
I wonder if you got the latest sw for some other carrier than Verizon. V has their own sw version so that they can screw us out of an extra few bux by forcing us to use their network to transfer files to a pc. I had a lengthy session with Motor today, and they say the most up-to-date sw version for the Verizon v710 is 8700_01.30.8F. I'd be very interested in knowing what you find out, because the combination of the v710, its idiotic manual with an even worse index, Motor's infuriating helpline and last but least [expl del] Verizon, I'm at my wits end. Rotten sound, lousy service, big mad on.
I got the latest version which is verzon's software. Version 8700_01.40.OR. However, the phone died last night and I am thruohg with the task of bluetooth and Vverizon for now. Unfortunately, Verizon is not ready for bluetoooth and I will just wait until this wekend and get one from Cingular. I will see if that is any better.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:07 PM
Advanced

I'm waiting with bated breath for your report on how the Cingular works out, Hou-RL. With the AT&T merger the coverage should be pretty good. I'm getting seriously tired of Verizon, having been with them since a day or two after they became Verizon -- 6, 7, 8 years? Also, the phone I use when I go to Europe works on GSM, which makes Verizon's CDMA standard a real kluge, and I believe Cingular relies on GSM. I'm interested to hear more about how V fried your phone. I heard the same story from someone else. Did V simply let you out of your contract after they gave your phone the lethal jolt? Hell, if I have a good shot at "duplicating the problem" and that means no more contract with them, I'm heading straight for V...
Old 03-03-2005, 06:29 PM
Pro

No, I'm not out of a contract but will just get a phone from Cingular on a prepay option initially. This will give me the opportunity to test the phone and service before I port my number over and pay Verizon to get out of my contract. Verizon has the best coverage and customer service by far. There are few dropped calls and they resolve my billing issues everytime, the first time guaranteed. They didn't fry my phone but I beleive there is a serious issue with the new software upgrade. My sisters an engineer for Motorola and she can't even get me a deal on a phone. She work in a totally different department other than cell phones. However, I do have a very close freind of mine who works for Verizon and I just didn't bother asking for the new 8 series. I just want a bluetooth phone that works as it should. Yeah, I have had service with them since they were GTE mobilenet and used to have over 60 phones on my corporate acct. at one time. I just returned the phone since it was less than 15 days old, V's policy. I'll keep you posted!
Old 06-04-2005, 12:53 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
how do t tranfer phonebook to 2005 rl hfl system from..

the moto v710 phone. i am interested in doing this will save time. how is it done?
thanks!
Old 06-06-2005, 10:21 AM
Pro

It doesnt work. It was some bad information being passed along.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:06 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by christopher1
the moto v710 phone. i am interested in doing this will save time. how is it done?
thanks!

What you can do is use the phone to make the call, once the phone display says "connected" push the "phone" button on the steering wheel & say "transfer"......you can then speak & hear through the HFL.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:52 AM
black on black on bla....

everytime i pick up an incoming call using HFL the call is abruptly disconnected with the v710 (latest software) anyone know why?
Old 07-01-2005, 06:19 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ChRiS_nYc
everytime i pick up an incoming call using HFL the call is abruptly disconnected with the v710 (latest software) anyone know why?
Go to the HFL setup menu and change the incoming notification from a voice prompt to a ring tone. There is a known issue that JCI, Moto, and VZW are working on to correct, but for now, this workaround should do the trick for most V710 users.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:06 AM
Burning Brakes

My v710 has always worked great in my TL....and since obtaining the firmware update it works even better, with the battery & signal strength showing up in the MID during calls. As for voice recognition, I find you just have to speak clearly and the response rate is very good. articulate, articulate, articulate.

Just a question........is it REALLY such a huge deal to have to push a button to use the system?