Thinking about selling RL - SOLD!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 08:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thinking about selling RL - SOLD!

In case some of you havn't been able to tell from some of my recent posts, I am considering selling the RL. How much do you think the RL is worth on the private market with 8,000 miles? I know KBB for excellent condition lists it for $41,660. It is in excellent condition with the exception of a chip in the windshield which has been sealed. I am going to include the snow tires & regular tires. Wood shift knob and clear bra. I am thinking about getting an SUV to move things around then giving it to the parents

Any suggestions on what I should expect to get for it? Where to sell?

Now, I am not entirely sure I am going to, but I am thinking about it.

TIA
Old 12-12-2005, 08:57 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vp911
In case some of you havn't been able to tell from some of my recent posts, I am considering selling the RL. How much do you think the RL is worth on the private market with 8,000 miles? I know KBB for excellent condition lists it for $41,660. It is in excellent condition with the exception of a chip in the windshield which has been sealed. I am going to include the snow tires & regular tires. Wood shift knob and clear bra. I am thinking about getting an SUV to move things around then giving it to the parents

Any suggestions on what I should expect to get for it? Where to sell?

Now, I am not entirely sure I am going to, but I am thinking about it.

TIA
If you are thinking of selling your RL already with only 8000 miles, I think that you should do it. It looks like you have reasons to do so. I think that you will have to take a hit on the price. If you get $39K for if you will be lucky. Also let us know what you are thinking of getting and your reasons for selling it.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:05 PM
Suzuka Master

I know I am going to take a hit on it, a decent hit. I feel awfully bored with the RL. As much as I love the toys in it, they don't get me excited to get in the car anymore. I really would like a smaller sportier car. I almost never have more than one more person in the car - so the back seat isn't an issue of being small. If it ends up being any worse than 39k, I will keep the RL for a while. It's not that I don't like it, just feel kind of bored driving it around. It feels like it should - a luxury crusing car.

I think I rushed into the decision to buy the RL, the TL was totaled and I was scrambling to find a new car. With the TL I had several months to decide on it because I knew the FX35 was going to be repurchased because of the leaky sunroof - the process just took time. I didn't want to buy a TL again because when I saw the car the next morning, I knew I couldn't get into the car and feel comfortable again.

Do I regret buying the RL? Yes, to some extent. I still love the car - just not as much as I loved my previous cars. If I keep the RL, trust me, I won't be complaining. If I end up keeping the RL for another couple years, it won't be a big deal, I will just enjoy the next car that much more
Old 12-12-2005, 09:18 PM
Intermediate

Which cars are in the running if you choose to sell the RL? If you have a chance, I'd be interested in hearing the rationale as well. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:25 PM
Suzuka Master

I would say the G35c; however, the interior is garbage. IS250/350, MB-CLK.

Although, to be honest, the more I think about it - the more I realize there really arn't that many 'nice' cars in the same sub-45k price range that the RL is in.

I just saw the a-spec suspension on ebay for $200 (shh nobody take it ). It may be that all I need is the suspension to bring the RL back to life for me. I guess I am not really sure what I want to do.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:37 PM
Racer

Vik, if you do decide to sell, you will do better by selling your accessories separately than including them on the car-they will not add much, if any, to the final price you get. I made almost $2500 selling my performance parts from my Volvo 850 after I gave it to my daughter, which was a significant percentage of the KBB value of the car itself.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:38 PM
Racer

Although, to be honest, the more I think about it - the more I realize there really arn't that many 'nice' cars in the same sub-45k price range that the RL is in.

I just saw the a-spec suspension on ebay for $200 (shh nobody take it ). It may be that all I need is the suspension to bring the RL back to life for me. I guess I am not really sure what I want to do.
Careful with the eBay auction-the shipping calculator quoted me a cost of $116!!
Old 12-12-2005, 09:39 PM
Suzuka Master

So basically the tires and the wood knob. Of course, I can't take off the clearbra
Old 12-12-2005, 09:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by acurafox
Careful with the eBay auction-the shipping calculator quoted me a cost of $116!!

Thanks for the warning. That should not cost more than $40 to ship. I know it is very heavy (I still have the stock suspension from my TL in the basement).
Old 12-12-2005, 09:47 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cars are worth like 400% more if sold in parts. Maybe part your RL out piece by piece. You'd make more money that way!
Old 12-12-2005, 09:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Haha. That would only be useful on the TL - the RL there arn't enough totaled cars that need repair.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:52 PM
Racer

So basically the tires and the wood knob. Of course, I can't take off the clearbra
Don't you also have A-spec wheels? If you still have the original stock wheels, you would want to remove the A-specs and sell them as well (to me for a great price, of course!!) Personally, I'm rooting for you to keep the RL and hang around with us for awhile longer.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:53 PM
Suzuka Master

I sold the a-spec wheels

I won't be leaving the forums if the RL sells. Acurazine is too addicting to just leave.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,005 Likes on 534 Posts
Vik, my advice would be to:
1. keep the RL for a couple more years
2. carefully invest the money that you would have had to pay to get into a new car
3. let the money grow for a few years while simultaneously redoubling all efforts on the money savings front
4. sell the RL and buy the new NSX
5. purchase pain relief medication for your face that will be aching from smiling so much
I will guarantee that you won't feel bored by the NSX!!!
Good luck with whatever decision that you make.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:50 PM
Suzuka Master

^ Now that is the best idea I have heard in a long time! I heard the new NSX (or maybe it is an un-named sports car) will be in the 50-60k range (vtec.net).
Old 12-13-2005, 12:07 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I'd sell it and get an IS350...

Sell it now...before the value drops even more.

Post in BM and on forums.anandtech.com under FS/FT...tons of geeks on anandtech who would buy this type of car.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:34 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Michael Wan
I'd sell it and get an IS350...

Sell it now...before the value drops even more.

Post in BM and on forums.anandtech.com under FS/FT...tons of geeks on anandtech who would buy this type of car.
I agree about selling it now. The longer you wait, the more the value will drop. Already, acura cant sell the RL, which is why they have been offered for as low as 42k or less new which is quite pathetic. An IS350 would be a good choice if you want an auto car with some pep. I still cant get over the green lighting in the dash though

I really dont understand people like you that think the g35's interior is garbage. Ive had a few luxury cars in my short time of driving and the g35's interior is far from garbage. The 03-04 i must admit used some cheap plastics for the center console, but for 05 and 06 everything is quality material.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:18 AM
Suzuka Master

^ I havn;t seen the interior of the new car. Besides, I won't buy infiniti for the simple fact of previous experience. I had a lemon with them and a crappy dealer that scratched the body of the car three times.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:52 AM
Instructor

I might be selling mine as well, I too have become bored with the RL. I am hoping when this last wheel comes in it will bring new character to the car.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:38 AM
office monkey

If you sell it I say get the IS350. That car is tight.

If they make an IS350 AWD next year I think I will trade in for that.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:26 AM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Why not pick up a second car? A used S2000 can be had for under $20k and for top down, 9k rpms (00-03), lack of techno doodads to ruin the fun, the slickest 6sp gearbox south of an FD or 360F1, and stellar Honda reliability, there is none better. With it you may (I emplore you) to go to a track event. One and you'll be hooked for life!
Old 12-13-2005, 09:44 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by hondamore
Vik, my advice would be to:
1. keep the RL for a couple more years
2. carefully invest the money that you would have had to pay to get into a new car
3. let the money grow for a few years while simultaneously redoubling all efforts on the money savings front
4. sell the RL and buy the new NSX
5. purchase pain relief medication for your face that will be aching from smiling so much
I will guarantee that you won't feel bored by the NSX!!!
Good luck with whatever decision that you make.

I agree that the NSX is not boring - current or future I'm sure, however, I would not like the NSX to be my daily driver. I would get tired of the road feel, the difficult ingress/egress, the constant defensive driving including making sure people see you, particularly those driving big SUVs who cannot see you because you are below their mirror range. The NSX is for driving when that is exactly what you want to do, enjoy the drive.

I would not trade the RL for a similar car that is sportier, faster and is not as comfortable, like the new IS350. I haven't driven a more fun to drive car than the RL short of a full blown sports car like the NSX or the S2000. A fun car that comes to mind is the new Mini - now, that is a blast to drive and it's more comfortable to get in and out of it than many sportier cars. The ride is a little rough with the 17" wheels but if fun is what you are after, this is my recommendation. Better yet, keep the RL and buy yourself a used low miles 91-93 NSX for about $35,000.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:07 AM
office monkey

1hotnsx,

have you even driven the IS350 or just making an assumption?
Old 12-13-2005, 11:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rob L
1hotnsx,

have you even driven the IS350 or just making an assumption?
Yes, I drove it last week when looking for a new car for my wife - still looking. I believe the IS350 is way overpriced and I was only offered a 500 off MSRP. I must admit that I did not have the opportunity to really drive it to fully experience the handling, like I would on a mountain road, but I got to try it on a couple of on-ramps and mild curves at low speed. Nice, very nice, but I found it no more fun than my RL. It has some very noticeable extra power but that alone does not make it any more fun to me. It feels MUCH smaller than the RL both in front and back. The back seat access is cramped, something about the doors makes getting in and out very difficult - and I'm only 5 10", normal weight.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:01 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Vik, what do you really need the car for? What would you consider as attributes of a car that is not boring? What are you looking for in a new car?

And if excitement is what you're looking for, the IS is not a particularly good choice. The IS250 is lacking in power and the suspension is soft. Steering is too light to be sporty. To get it up to being a truly sporty car, you'd have to invest at least several thousand dollars more. The same applies to the IS350, except it is not underpowered. However, without a manual tranny, it really can't be enjoyed to its full potential.

I would say your best bet is to start by learning to drive an MT and then do what someone else mentioned, get the new NSX when it becomes available.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Vik, what do you really need the car for? What would you consider as attributes of a car that is not boring? What are you looking for in a new car?

And if excitement is what you're looking for, the IS is not a particularly good choice. The IS250 is lacking in power and the suspension is soft. Steering is too light to be sporty. To get it up to being a truly sporty car, you'd have to invest at least several thousand dollars more. The same applies to the IS350, except it is not underpowered. However, without a manual tranny, it really can't be enjoyed to its full potential.

I would say your best bet is to start by learning to drive an MT and then do what someone else mentioned, get the new NSX when it becomes available.
excitement is exactly what I am looking for. To be honest, when I had the TSX I loved driving it. It was a smaller car which made it easier to maneuver. The RL is not by any means hard to do this in, but the TSX was more fun to do it in. The RL when driving down the highway feels like a luxury sedan - exactly what it should feel like - but I miss the excitement. Now, I drive the RL, and yes, enjoy everything in it, but miss the fun factor. The sh-awd doesn't really kick in unless I find a very windy road to drive on - otherwise, it's just an AWD car.

I havn't driven the IS350 with the sports package - I was under the impression that there is more "road" feel to it therefore making it more fun to drive. Hmm I wonder.

OTOH, I vowed that my next car would be a coupe, and when I look at the market, I find very few coupes in the price range that still have the toys like navi. I also just read something saying that there may be an IS coupe coming out for the 08' model year. If that's the case.... hmmm
Old 12-13-2005, 08:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Well, I decided if I sell it, I will get an SUV to move things. After that I will give it to the rents. Maybe the RX330 since we need a new one anyways.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:04 PM
office monkey

Originally Posted by 1HOT NSX
Yes, I drove it last week when looking for a new car for my wife - still looking. I believe the IS350 is way overpriced and I was only offered a 500 off MSRP. I must admit that I did not have the opportunity to really drive it to fully experience the handling, like I would on a mountain road, but I got to try it on a couple of on-ramps and mild curves at low speed. Nice, very nice, but I found it no more fun than my RL. It has some very noticeable extra power but that alone does not make it any more fun to me. It feels MUCH smaller than the RL both in front and back. The back seat access is cramped, something about the doors makes getting in and out very difficult - and I'm only 5 10", normal weight.
Yep no doubt the cabin is not that big and having owned the last gen IS before getting the RL I swear the new IS has less interior room than the old one. I do know for certain the headroom was cut down and that is not good as it was tight.

I do feel it is overpriced when one slaps on all the options but at the same time it is priced well compared to its competition. What does that tell me? The competition is overpriced.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:06 PM
office monkey

VP,

wait a sec dude. you will get a SUV if you sell the RL yet you want more excitement? Huh?

As for the IS and more road feel...the suspension isnt as stiff as the RLs.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Rob L
VP,

wait a sec dude. you will get a SUV if you sell the RL yet you want more excitement? Huh?

As for the IS and more road feel...the suspension isnt as stiff as the RLs.
Well - the SUV because I need to move things for a few months, and my mom wants a new RX330 anyways, so I would use it for a couple months then hand it over to her
Old 12-13-2005, 09:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,005 Likes on 534 Posts
Geez Vik, you change cars more often than I change underwear. Sniff, sniff - that reminds me...
Old 12-13-2005, 09:50 PM
Suzuka Master

At least the previous car's wern't by choice. This one is by choice... big difference in my mind at least
Old 12-13-2005, 10:12 PM
Instructor

I will get an SUV to move things..
WHAT??
Alright, you were just joking when you said you wanted to trade the RL because you needed something more exciting to drive. I can't think of a worse choice than an SUV, any SUV . .
Old 12-13-2005, 10:18 PM
Suzuka Master

I have driven only ONE exciting SUV, and it is the FX35/45. But read above - only temporarily. Will give the new SUV to my mom when I am done using it for a few months :-P then get a car after that. I guess we never know, if it doesn't sell, it won't be a big deal, I'll wait a couple years for the NSX and borrow other peoples cars to move things. I guess I don't really know what I want to do. But, I can live with an even less exciting car (SUV in this case) for a few months if it is going to mean getting the RX330 at a good price - as we need a new RX anyways.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:22 PM
Advanced

Are you sure about the NSX price ?

^ Now that is the best idea I have heard in a long time! I heard the new NSX (or maybe it is an un-named sports car) will be in the 50-60k range (vtec.net).
I have never seen an NSX for less than 80k or so.. I thought the new model would even be more.. DanF
Old 12-13-2005, 11:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Oh yes, I was mistaken, I confused the NSX with the new "unnamed sports car" for 40-50k. http://vtec.net/modelmatrix/

The NSX: "Production of the current model ceases at the end of 2005" and in 2008 - V10.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:18 AM
5th Gear

OTOH, I vowed that my next car would be a coupe, and when I look at the market, I find very few coupes in the price range that still have the toys like navi. I also just read something saying that there may be an IS coupe coming out for the 08' model year. If that's the case.... hmmm
I'm not currently an RL owner, so to that extent I'm kinda lurking on the
board but I'm considering one so maybe you'll tolerate my input.

I'm not sure what your price range is but since you're driving an RL, I'll
assume it's at least in the $40-50k range.

If you are looking for coupes with toys, you might consider the M3 or the C6.
I bought an M3 in 2001 and drove it for 4 years and apart from some reliability
problems, enjoyed the car immensely. It is available with all manner of toys,
and has an extremely high fun factor. It'll seat 4 in a pinch, although with less
room than the IS. It has an amazing powerband, producing serious thrust from
3500rpm to 8000rpm, and might be the best 6 cylinder engine ever built, now
that BMW has worked out the reliability issues.

Currently I have a C6, which is also available with all manner of toys, including
a heads-up display which is really pretty cool. The C6 has astounding power,
and is significantly faster even than my old M3. It handles well, brakes well,
and actually gets 27-28 mpg on the highway, which I think is amazing given
its 400 hp, 6 liter V8. 2005 C6s are still available in some areas at pretty big
discounts. In the Bay Area, 2005 C6 convertables are currently being offered
at $7500 off MSRP, for example. City mileage is brutal though.

Neither of these cars has AWD and it is tough to find a sporty coupe with AWD.
The only one which springs to mind is the Audi TT, which you can get with a 250
hp 6 cylinder engine. I find that car too small and cramped.

If you find the RL lacks excitement, I definitely concur with the other board
members in that an SUV will be even less compelling to drive. My wife drives an
Acura MDX which is a decent SUV but we only have it because we need to seat
4-6 people (kids etc) and because we got it at a time when the Honda minivan
was actually commanding a premium here and the MDX was being discounted.
Otherwise we'd probably have the Honda mini-van.

Pat
Old 12-14-2005, 01:49 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 1HOT NSX
I agree that the NSX is not boring - current or future I'm sure, however, I would not like the NSX to be my daily driver. I would get tired of the road feel, the difficult ingress/egress, the constant defensive driving including making sure people see you, particularly those driving big SUVs who cannot see you because you are below their mirror range. The NSX is for driving when that is exactly what you want to do, enjoy the drive.

I would not trade the RL for a similar car that is sportier, faster and is not as comfortable, like the new IS350. I haven't driven a more fun to drive car than the RL short of a full blown sports car like the NSX or the S2000. A fun car that comes to mind is the new Mini - now, that is a blast to drive and it's more comfortable to get in and out of it than many sportier cars. The ride is a little rough with the 17" wheels but if fun is what you are after, this is my recommendation. Better yet, keep the RL and buy yourself a used low miles 91-93 NSX for about $35,000.

I prefer the best of both worlds approach. The RL is a great sedan; I don't expect it to be a great sports car. My Corvette is a great sports car; I don't expect it to be a great sedan (obviously, lol). The new M5 might present a vehicle that can do both pretty well but there's no way I'd sub the RL for an IS350 or a G35 (or an M35). Latest weather report has us looking at another 3-5" of snow overnight here in Chicago and I feel pretty good about sticking with my 'must have AWD' position on my grocery getter. My only gripe is the lack of winter wheels (steel and smaller) on which to mount snows.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by catpat8000
I'm not currently an RL owner, so to that extent I'm kinda lurking on the
board but I'm considering one so maybe you'll tolerate my input.

I'm not sure what your price range is but since you're driving an RL, I'll
assume it's at least in the $40-50k range.

If you are looking for coupes with toys, you might consider the M3 or the C6.
I bought an M3 in 2001 and drove it for 4 years and apart from some reliability
problems, enjoyed the car immensely. It is available with all manner of toys,
and has an extremely high fun factor. It'll seat 4 in a pinch, although with less
room than the IS. It has an amazing powerband, producing serious thrust from
3500rpm to 8000rpm, and might be the best 6 cylinder engine ever built, now
that BMW has worked out the reliability issues.

Currently I have a C6, which is also available with all manner of toys, including
a heads-up display which is really pretty cool. The C6 has astounding power,
and is significantly faster even than my old M3. It handles well, brakes well,
and actually gets 27-28 mpg on the highway, which I think is amazing given
its 400 hp, 6 liter V8. 2005 C6s are still available in some areas at pretty big
discounts. In the Bay Area, 2005 C6 convertables are currently being offered
at $7500 off MSRP, for example. City mileage is brutal though.

Neither of these cars has AWD and it is tough to find a sporty coupe with AWD.
The only one which springs to mind is the Audi TT, which you can get with a 250
hp 6 cylinder engine. I find that car too small and cramped.

If you find the RL lacks excitement, I definitely concur with the other board
members in that an SUV will be even less compelling to drive. My wife drives an
Acura MDX which is a decent SUV but we only have it because we need to seat
4-6 people (kids etc) and because we got it at a time when the Honda minivan
was actually commanding a premium here and the MDX was being discounted.
Otherwise we'd probably have the Honda mini-van.

Pat
Pat - I appreciate your input. On the SUV, as I have explained previously, it would only be a temporary (few month) vehicle. Then on to something new. I know the RX330 is FAR from any excitement - just a comfortable driving SUV.

I didn't consider the M3 at all, so I will look into it; however, the C6, I know there is no chance of driving it in the snow, and I don't plan on keeping an SUV and another car - I don't want two vehicles, and I can't really afford to keep both at my house - simply no room for another vehicle.

I will look at the C6 and the M3 though. I have always wanted a car with a headsup display!
Old 12-14-2005, 04:36 AM
Instructor

If you are going to look at the M3 and C6, you might as well throw the Cadillac CTS-V and Mercedes C55 into your list. I have an appointment to drive one of the first STS-V's to come into my area in 2 weeks... I can tell you from now there is no way I am paying $77K for it despite being a Cadillac enthusiast.

Quick Reply: Thinking about selling RL - SOLD!