Thinking about an RL...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 04:41 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about an RL...

Well, I've now lurked around here and on other boards for the last 3 weeks or so, and the 'new car bug' has definitely bit me.

I've currently got a 2000 BMW 528i (Steptronic, Xenon, Sport + Premium) with just under 74k miles on it, and my CPO warranty expires in December. I've really enjoyed my run with my BMW (what a great car to drive!), but I would really like a newer car with more technology and safety available.

I priced out a Lexus GS300 (RWD), and while it's not out of my price range, it's a lot of money for all those options.

Sort of the same with the E-class E320 CDI I was flirting with, although fewer options are available on the CDI in MY06 than in 05 -- go figure. While the MPG may not stink, finding diesel stations and dealing with MBZ's recent bouts of unreliability are tough to swallow.

The Infiniti M35/M35x is sharp looking and would be fun, but I just don't *feel it* from the looks of the rear, rear quarters, and the cockpit. It scores well with me on my technology 'must have' list, but seems like it'll be tough.

So, I'm surprising myself by posting here. To me, the RL has a LOT of things going for it -- excellent included options, decent performance, decent room, fairly classic looks, very good customer service (from reading this forum), and fairly low ongoing maintenance costs.

Seems to me the RL is a very competent performer all around, but doesn't outshine it's luxury sedan brethren in any particular class. It's not the sportiest/sexiest/most tech laden/most luxurious/roomiest/etc.

The RL may not be the hot blonde next-door-neighbor or the smoking brunette you see at the bar, but she's the one to bring home to your parents and brag about. And maybe, the one to keep.

I also think the 'standardization' of options across the RL -- where one seemingly all-inclusive optioned base is the only standard bearer -- will allow for better resale value in the years to come.

Anyway, just wanted to post some thoughts.

Thanks everyone for posting -- it keeps guys like me up late at night, reading the details to figure out if this is really the car for me.

--Neil
Old 10-14-2005, 04:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums Neil. Obviously being an RL owner, I love the car. IMO the RL outshines the competition (GS300 and the M). Technology wise, I am not sure what the M has going for it except the rear view cam and cooled seats. Maybe I am just having a memory lapse, but I think that is all the M has over the RL. Same with the GS300. IMO the AWD in the RL blows away the GS and the M.

Either way, good luck with your decision.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:11 PM
Racer

The M can be equiped with toys like lane change warning and pre-braking. The 06 RL has pre-braking too but at current prices the 05 would be a better choice.

You'll probably find the RL is not as much a drivers car as a BMW or other German brand. But they overall did an excellent job building a super comfortable and capable vehicle that should be more reliable than a Teutonic one. My RL is brand new so I haven't been allowed to step on it yet but it's plenty plenty fast. Much faster than the 528 I'm pretty sure. And the AWD makes sure you can actually deploy that power. This is my 3rd hi-performance AWD car in a row (Eclipse GSX - S4 - RL) and I won't have it any other way unless I can't afford it anymore.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:43 PM
office monkey

The RL may not be the hot blonde next-door-neighbor or the smoking brunette you see at the bar, but she's the one to bring home to your parents and brag about. And maybe, the one to keep.

hehehe...the beauty of that is that every woman gets old, unattractive and most likely overweight down the line so it makes no sense to go for that temporary "hot thing" instead of the complete package.

I think the RL is a great package and doubt you could go wrong with it.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob L

I think the RL is a great package and doubt you could go wrong with it.