Thermostat Water Neck Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 11:32 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Thermostat Water Neck Help

Hey everyone I'm new here. Been lurking and researching with this site since I got my 2005 RL a couple weeks ago. I got it super cheap with a burnt exhaust valve, so I'm in the process of removing the front cylinder head. It's nothing like the D and B series Hondas I'm used to working on. Right now, I'm stuck at removing the water housing that connects each head, below where the TB is. I got all the nuts off except for the back, lower one. I just can't seem to get on it and when I can there is no room to rotate a wrench. I can't get a socket on it because the heater hose pipes are in the way. I'm hoping someone has a tip for me on this one. Here's some pics of what I'm talking about.
Attached Thumbnails Thermostat Water Neck Help-thermoastat-water-neck-1.jpg   Thermostat Water Neck Help-thermoastat-water-neck-2.jpg  
Old 04-22-2017, 02:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts
you need a short socket or a short with swivel socket to remove that bolt also extension, the part you try to remove is the coolant passage between front bank and rear bank, this also housing the EGR gas passage. There will be MLS gasket on each side and they are re-useable.

Last edited by truonghthe; 04-22-2017 at 02:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
projektvertx (04-23-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 04:15 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by truonghthe
you need a short socket or a short with swivel socket to remove that bolt also extension, the part you try to remove is the coolant passage between front bank and rear bank, this also housing the EGR gas passage. There will be MLS gasket on each side and they are re-useable.
Is there a best way to get on it with a socket? I'm having trouble getting anything past all the hard water pipes that lead to the heater hoses. I do have a swivel joint and some extensions that allow a little wobble on the end. I can't seem to find the right angle of attack for this thing. I hoped there was something else I could remove to make access a little easier but I didn't see it myself and the manual I have is no help at all for this part. It just says to remove the whole thing with no steps on doing it.