temperature gremlins again

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 05:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 421 Likes on 315 Posts
temperature gremlins again

finally had another hot day (100) and temp gremlins struck again. Mirror gets stuck in down position after backing up and inside adjustment switch would not work. Also, when starting car, wheel would not telescope. I know this issue is also related to low battery (I was actually one of the first to diagnose that), but I replaced battery 1 year ago and I doubt if it has an issue.
Speaking of temp issues, have they changed the logic on the outside temp reading in newer models (mine is 2005)?
There's some logic about only adjusting up 1 degree every 1 minute as long as car speed is >19mph. And reading starts at temp car was last turned off if engine temp >120. This just doesn't work. I get in my car at lunch, its in the 90s, temp reads 79 from morning commute. I drive to/from lunch, 10 minutes each way and temp reading only rises to 82. Later in afternoon, run an errand and temp is at least 100, but temp still reads 82. About 6 minutes each way adn temp reading does not change at all. So I have a total of 30+ minutes in the car with temp gauge off from 15 to 20 degrees! All this to protect the reading from being to high if stuck in traffic?
Anyway, in the whole scheme of things minor issue and it certainly does not stop me from liking my RL ( a lot).
Old 08-28-2009, 07:10 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have observed on rare occasions, that the side mirrors will not operate. I do nothing to fix them but magically they begin working again. This has raised my attention to the motors moving the mirrors and I am worried they will burn out since the mirror moves down when you back up. I have elected to keep the mirror left/right switch in the middle so the mirror does not move when the car is in reverse (which is an awful lot over the life of the car).

In fact, I'll have to check the manual to see if the telescoping wheel can be locked off for the courtesy movement the steering wheel does every time you enter/leave the car. I feel this will eventually fail too. If it can't be turned off, I will see if it's an isolated fuse and remove.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:13 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Same here...

I noticed the same thing with the temperature reading today!
It's a very warm/day here in N. California today and i know that temperatures were in the 90s.
I went to lunch today and i saw 79 F degrees when i started the car. After 10min of driving - still 79 degrees. I was puzzled but i decided to ignore it and i went to get something to eat.
I come back - 79 F degrees again!!!
I drove for 15-20 mins (city driving) and the temperature went up to 80 degrees right before i parked in front of my office!
It was at least 90 degrees outside!

What is wrong with my thermometer in the car??
Acura, how hard is to have this simple feature working reliably on a $50k car?

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2009, 07:44 PM
Safety Car

Received 421 Likes on 315 Posts
Originally Posted by danmm7
I noticed the same thing with the temperature reading today!
It's a very warm/day here in N. California today and i know that temperatures were in the 90s.
I went to lunch today and i saw 79 F degrees when i started the car. After 10min of driving - still 79 degrees. I was puzzled but i decided to ignore it and i went to get something to eat.
I come back - 79 F degrees again!!!
I drove for 15-20 mins (city driving) and the temperature went up to 80 degrees right before i parked in front of my office!
It was at least 90 degrees outside!

What is wrong with my thermometer in the car??
Acura, how hard is to have this simple feature working reliably on a $50k car?

Thanks!
I believe their logic is explained in the manual, but agree on the frustation -especially for us in the Bay Area where temperatures fluctuate over short distances. I commute over San Mateo bridge and temperature outside can be 20degrees cooler midspan than on either side of bridge. Temp gauge takes forever to "catch up". Wouldn't bother me so much except the HVAC seems to take outside temp into account too much. So, I have to adjust my desired temp several times during my commute.