Telescoping Steering wheel not related to battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 05:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts
Telescoping Steering wheel not related to battery

FYI...I replaced my battery yesterday with a battery from the dealer and my steering wheel still does not fully retract upon turning the car off. I drive a lot of short trips, 12 miles and then the car sits all day, then 12 miles home. Only time the steering wheel will really fully retractis if I go on a longer trip.

I've seen a lot of people writing that they think their battery is failing because the wheel won't retract and in my experience they are unrelated. I replaced my battery because it was five years old and the indicator on the battery said it needed a charge.

Anybody have any thoughts? I'm under warranty if I need to go to the dealer.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Originally Posted by rlerman
FYI...I replaced my battery yesterday with a battery from the dealer and my steering wheel still does not fully retract upon turning the car off. I drive a lot of short trips, 12 miles and then the car sits all day, then 12 miles home. Only time the steering wheel will really fully retractis if I go on a longer trip.

I've seen a lot of people writing that they think their battery is failing because the wheel won't retract and in my experience they are unrelated. I replaced my battery because it was five years old and the indicator on the battery said it needed a charge.

Anybody have any thoughts? I'm under warranty if I need to go to the dealer.
I've noticed that very infrequently when I turn off the car, doors do not unlock. I did not pay attention to steering wheel. However, it is very infrequent. I chalked it up to trying to open the door too fast, or perhaps turning car off before I had totally engaged transmission into park.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by getakey
I've noticed that very infrequently when I turn off the car, doors do not unlock. I did not pay attention to steering wheel. However, it is very infrequent. I chalked it up to trying to open the door too fast, or perhaps turning car off before I had totally engaged transmission into park.
I wonder if this is a general problem with Acura's computers. While I haven't experienced this in my RL (which I've had for all of a couple of weeks), it happens pretty frequently in the loaner 2010 TL that I have. At least once a day, if not several times.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:20 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by getakey
perhaps turning car off before I had totally engaged transmission into park.
Isn't this pretty much impossible unless you use 2 hands?
Old 02-16-2010, 09:50 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Originally Posted by lausy
Isn't this pretty much impossible unless you use 2 hands?
I'm left handed (really)
No, you're right - what I meant to say was that I thought it might be that I turned the car off very quickly after putting in park.
That said, 5 minutes ago, went to the store and the door "not unlock" feature happened. What a wierd coincidence. Anyway, the steering wheel DID retract. So, our problems (mine and OP) are not related.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:27 PM
rtr
RL owner

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
which remote are u using ? Driver 1? is the battery low? Does your RL do 1200 MPH?