The Style Iconic...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 09:15 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The Style Iconic...

It's been awhile but feel, once again, compelled to post. I've been tracking Tampa RL's posts for what seems like years, have always enjoyed them and profoundly respect his automotive knowledge and exercise of logic.

I've agreed with his rants regarding Acura's styling direction although lately, the TL is getting my attention, is growing on me and I notice more and more hip young people driving them - but the 09 RL is, truly, an abomination However, there's something else growing on me and that's the styling of my 05 Opulent Blue Pearl RL.

Initially criticized as being an exercise in bland, run of the mill styling - my RL turns heads! It's crisp, modern appearance has stood the test of time and can hold its own or surpass that of newer 09-10 models. Is it just me or am I onto something here? Plus, allow me to add, although no longer cutting edge, RL's technology is nothing to sneeze at - it meets and actually still exceeds my expectations. With 68k miles on the odo, it's been relatively trouble free and feels very "solid" if you know what I mean?!

The RL is, to me, a very "special" car bordering on being iconic - Your thoughts..?
Old 11-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Rants!? What RANTS! What ARE you talking about!???

Don't MAKE me start another letter writing campaign!

You have found my Zen, my friend. What I love about my RL is exactly what you state, and what I have commented to before. It is a style that may not be of flash and verve that is so trendy of late, but instead classic, sophisticated and one that draws you in as you study it. Like art, some are drawn to the classics, some are drawn to modernist abstract and bright color. I admit, I am a traditionalist and thought I can respect trendy flash, it annoys me when progressives dismiss and degrade the traditionalist.

And I too, get more comments today on my RL than when new. It appears that many auto stylists are racing for radical styling....which may not be as well received as intended. I also find the RL's technology up to the standard of the latest greatest,,,and considering it is technology solidified 6 years ago, that impresses me. I chuckle when I see Ford commercials proclaiming the marvels of SYNCH, when they all emulate and copy what the RL introduced in 2004. Technology obsoletes in a 6 month cycle, so I would say the RL has done quite well in staying power, even if not on the radar of the buying public.

That staying power is what drew me to the RL. To this day I lust after the LEGEND. When I see one well cared for on the road it makes me think I too would keep my RL as a long term vehicle (contrary to my 3 year trade in cycle, already exceeded with this RL). But those qualities are not what most buyers and automotive purveyors seem to value. They value latest / greatest and king-of-the-hill attributes most value. Problem is, that they will be immediately knocked off the pedestal when they drive off the lot and at minimum, when the next model year is introduced (of that car or a competitor).

I am still angry with Acura over styling. I know it is because I value the tried and true engineering of Honda, the packaging of Acura and intelligent compromises made by both in delivering premium automobiles of substance. But I cannot see past the superficial, shallow and short lived styling that envelops the magnificent automobile below. It is the same reaction I would have in Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water was given a remake by MTV and used as the set for the next season of 'The Surreal Life'. It is beyond repulsion, it instills anger. And when I watch these video clips of 20-something designers babble in attempt to explain the 'design language' it not only irritates me that they are disconnected with me as an Acura owner, but it angers me that Acura management invests a companies future on such babble.

I agree with your views on the RL and TL. For those who like the 09+ RL, more power to you and enjoy it. But for me it is plastic surgery gone very very wrong. It is as much a crime as brushing neon paint color over a Monet.
The TL is a big improvement over the previous 3rd gen, which I owned. Improvement in build quality, substance and refinement. I love the interior and features. I hate the exterior design, specifically the face and tail. Enough so, I cannot appreciate the car as a whole.

I too believe, when the flash and verve intended in current Acura styling becomes passe as MC Hammer pants, 80s big hair and stupid as a mullet, the 05-08 RL will emerge as tasteful, trend bridging and sophisticated as my 10 year old Rolex Submariner. In fact, Acura has already proven that to me....every time I see a well cared for Acura LEGEND.

Style may catch the the eye of an attention deficit culture, but good taste endures a lifetime.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:13 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Would it be a stretch to say that the 2nd Gen RL styling is "Timeless"? I certainly love my 2006 vintage and thoroughly enjoy every drive I take in it and look back at it every time I leave it.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:27 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
i think the 2nd gen is a true work of honda art, don't think i will ever get tired of looking at it, timeless is definitely the word
Old 11-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Gotta agree with Shotgun...and Tampa...

While I am often offended by the design of the newer Acuras, I do give them credit for finally getting away from bland. While perhaps not the best of design, it does get attention and (and this is a pretty big and...) I do find myself less and less offended each time I see a new Acura. Perhaps I'm just getting used to the look, perhaps I've just come to accept it, or perhaps the new design provides for a subconscious hypnotic effect that after so many views, convinces one that the design is in fact "good" and I'm coming op on the requisite number of views.

Either way, as I see more and more newer Acuras on the road, I have come to accept the look. Who knows...perhaps one day I'll actually appreciate it. Until that day comes however, I'll continue to look upon my '06 as well designed, timeless, and although bland...a pleasure to look at.

LL
Old 11-11-2009, 06:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I still do double-takes when I see my former '95 Legend in the work parking lot (I sold it to a friend/co-worker). He parks in handicapped, so it's the first car I see when I leave the building, and the last one I see when I come in. I still turn around to look at it in both directions.

Cars that stand the test of time are usually not "cuttting-edge". Instead, they take and improve upon the best fundamental design elements. When the '91 Legend came out, I didn't think much of it -- it seemed neither here nor there. But when the time came to replace my '88 Legend Coupe in 1997, a low-mileage '95 Legend Sedan took the cake over any similarly-priced new car -- far and away. Despite getting older, the design looked better over time. This is true of many cars in the Honda stable. Not cutting edge, but even after they're retired they look pretty smart. Today a clean Legend still looks pretty elegant.

Trendy design elements can make a car look awkward and eventually dated over time. The '05-'08 RL takes a fairly standard silhouette and came up with a cohesive whole with eye-catching elements. Not too sharp - no trendy plunging character lines, and not too soft - no bulbous or unecessary curves or swoops. Add an elegant interior and you have a car that is as pleasing to look at as it is to be in. And will look good years hence.

Tampa is correct -- the '09+ RL looks like plastic surgery. A decent tail-tuck and side trimming with a clumsy facelift in the name of "corporate identity".